What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics Ultra 4K HD Collection Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I spoke with a rep at SPHE customer service. Apparently, they are unaware of the issue, so any calls or e-mails from other customers who are having similar issues may help to get this resolved.

If you contact them via e-mail, it is helpful to them if you include a scan of your insert.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Oh, and include with your correspondence that you are not happy with the lack of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on the Movies Anywhere app on Sony movies.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Inglorious Basterds is in 4K on VUDU…. On ITunes HD. The rental of Dear Evan Hansen is 4K on VUDU….on iTunes HD
and then there’s the Columbia Classics fiasco!!!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
This is from the review of Oliver! in 4k on bluray.com:

'Lastly, note that I experienced severe pixilation and an audio dropout at the 25:41 mark. Chapter skipping resolved the issue but rewinding and replaying the scene did not. There was no evidence of dirt or grime on the disc. Cleaning the disc did not resolve the issue; as it is, my copy of the movie is unplayable without manual manipulation to skip through the trouble area.'

Isn't this a big problem that requires a recall?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

'Lastly, note that I experienced severe pixilation and an audio dropout at the 25:41 mark. Chapter skipping resolved the issue but rewinding and replaying the scene did not. There was no evidence of dirt or grime on the disc. Cleaning the disc did not resolve the issue; as it is, my copy of the movie is unplayable without manual manipulation to skip through the trouble area.'

Only if it affects a significant number of discs.

Multiple other people reported no problems with the same disc at the same spot. I haven;t gone deep in the threads to see if or how many others have had any issues

Donnie Darko 4K had a encoding problems that affected most if not all the discs -- replaced,
Dune has an issue that seems to affect some disc on some players -- so far it's still being looked at.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

I just checked my disc (my review on this film is coming likely tomorrow - I'm still fiddling with settings on my new display) and did not see or hear the problem. This is an isolated incident, likely a lone defective disc (which does happen). If it were me, I would have reached out to my contact and requested a replacement (and I've had to do that only a few times in the 13+ years I've been reviewing discs for HTF).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This set is available to order again at Deep Discount. It is listed as backordered but they are allowing new orders. It's still $100. If you haven't used the one use per person Code DEEP10 you can use it here for 10% off. Its one of the few codes that works with out of stock items unless they have recently disabled it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My copy was delivered today from Deep Discount. It actually arrived unscathed! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I just checked my Oliver! 4K disc and there is no audio dropout (or pixellation) at the 25:41 mark in any of the English language versions. There is a pause (a breath) in the singing ... but the underscore is still there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

There is no audio dropout with my 4K disc!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This set is available to order again at Deep Discount. It is listed as backordered but they are allowing orders. It's still $100. If you haven't used the one use per person Code DEEP10 you can use it here. Its one of the few codes that works with out of stock items unless they have recently disabled it.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
My disc of Oliver played without issues as well. The film looks and sounds the best it ever has. I Highly recommend the upgrade :rock:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The strength of Volumes One & Two is that we now have a12-film gain in favor of the 4K/UHD format.

The handicap of Volumes One & Two is that it holds consumers hostage, for those who may only want 2, 3 or 4 of its titles at a pre-fixe price.

If Columbia Pictures Classics were to simultaneously offer a Stand-Alone on each and every title at ala carte prices, then this series would be a Grand-Slam offering, rather than a debate and scrutiny over which title is deserving or not deserving of receiving a 4K/UHD makeover.

The exclusivity of these boxed-sets is the sole flaw of Sony’s, otherwise, perfect celebration of the Columbia Pictures legacy.

Senior HTF Member PMF, or Philip, hasn't been posting here for several months. I also haven't heard from him via email. I just want to say that I appreciated his contributions. Hats off to him. Has anyone here heard from Philip recently?

Anyway, I also agree with his thought in this post. Since I only want a few of these movies, I'm still hoping for individual releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Senior HTF Member PMF, or Philip, hasn't been posting here for several months. I also haven't heard from him via email. I just want to say that I appreciated his contributions. Hats off to him. Has anyone here heard from Philip recently?

Anyway, I also agree with his thought in this post. Since I only want a few of these movies, I'm still hoping for individual releases.

Ben,

I am concerned after hearing this. I will gladly contact him via email but if you have done so already without a response...

I'll let you know if I hear anything. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

Ben,

I am concerned after hearing this. I will gladly contact him via email but if you have done so already without a response...

I'll let you know if I hear anything. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Ben, Ron, I’ve managed to hear back recently from Philip. My emails to him had been going to his spam folder, but he happened to see one and got back in touch. He’s doing ok, all things pandemic considered.

Ron, bless your cotton socks for taking such personal interest in the welfare of your members. Still genuinely touched by your unexpected email to me some time ago.

For the same reasons that I stay clear of some mainstream social media platforms, which I consider to be rotten from the very top down, I conversely feel privileged to be a member here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks