What's new

$20 all-region Player (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
This may be well-known, but thought I'd mention it JIC. The Cyberhome 300S is going for $20 after rebate from amazon.com with free shipping. This is a bottom-line player, but I've had one for quite some time and it works just fine (still!). Good for getting into non-R1/0 discs. There's tons of good stuff either unavailable in R1 (most important), or waaay cheaper in other regions. For watching those sometimes superior PQ non-R1 discs you'd want a better player than this, but it's fine for those uncut or extended or original language or unavailable here discs. Move up to something else after you get hooked...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
About a year+ ago, when these were starting to disappear from local shelves, a bunch of guys brought stuff over and we compared all-region players (I have 3 myself). Component outputs only. There are not a lot of all-region players available in Canada, most are off-brands that don't advertise all-region capability, like this one. This Cyberhome was obviously better than all the others except a Malata, and even then the Malata was only very occasionally superior, with a lot of squinting etc. The Malata may have been even better on certain material, but we were just using films. The Malata was probably better built too, looked better on the outside anyway. That was then, there are better Malatas and Oppos etc. now. But for component standard-DVD output, and easy region selection, this was far better than the other "cheapies"...no hacking necessary, it works out of the box.

And they changed the power supplies since the original models, mine doesn't even get warm when left on continuously (the ones ~2 years ago got very hot even when turned "off").

Yeah, the remote is no hell though works OK, but I use a learning system remote, keep the original as backup. As in most electronics these days, you're screwed if you lose/break the remote, costs more than a new player so best to copy the codes and store the original. Convenient on-screen time etc. info, lack of a built-in display is irrelevant, usually can't read them from (my) seating position anyway. Very fast operation/response to commands, beats all my other players. Layer change is about on par with my RP-82 (i.e. not great, but not really awful).

It is very hard to complain about this product at this price (I paid ~$45). I would buy one as a "spare" if I could, but it's only for the U.S.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for the heads up CraigF, I've been wracking my brain for gift ideas and this is perfect for (at least) two people on my list. Perfect gift and I think I'll get one for myself.
Thanks again.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
This is a great DVD player. I have three of them in my home and all of them work great. PAL/NTSC converter is built-in. There is a one-time set-up needed to make it region-free (explained in July 30, 2004 customer review of this product on amazon.com).

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I don't see how this player s $20. The price listed is 46.99 - i dont see any rebates.

EmmaAU

Agent

The rebate ended 12/31. On the amazon website there's a link to recent rebates for the player.

KenMc

Grip
I paid $39 shipped for a region free dvd player that plays any form of video file at it: mpeg2, mpeg4, all the popular computer formats. And, it has a very intuitive remote that is much easier to use than my old cyberhome remote was. It is a Lasonic and can be found at www(dot)newegg(dot)com

Stupid post counter on websites...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks