16x9 enhanced mode on Wega

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithKessler, Dec 6, 2001.

1. KeithKessler

KeithKessler Auditioning

Hello everyone,

I was just wonder how difficult it is to put one of the FS series Sony Wegas into 16x9 enhanced mode.

I'm just wondering if the FV line is worth the extra $$ for the 16x9 auto dection?

Thanks,

Keith

2. Ian Jordan

Ian Jordan Auditioning

I just bought a Sony KV-32FS13 that does the squeeze, but not automatically. It's about 8 keystrokes on the remote to turn it on (if I remember right):

Menu

Left

Left

Up

Up

Right

Down

Menu

It exits this mode the instant you change your source selection. Personally, having to choose manually is no big deal to me- I only need do it when I fire up a DVD.

3. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

It's pretty easy to navigate through the menu to turn on the enhanced 16:9 mode. You can do it while you're watching the DVD. I've read that some people have gotten remote controls that have a macro function so that it becomes just one button press. The enhanced 16:9 mode is great and I wouldn't get a 4:3 TV now without it.

4. KeithKessler

KeithKessler Auditioning

Great, Thanks for the all the info.

I'll be checking out some macro remotes..hehe

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I've got a 27" FV series and it doesn't autodetect 16:9 mode, I have to enable it manually. Is this a feature only on the 32+ FV's?

6. James D

James D Second Unit

It only takes a couple of seconds. The bigger problem is that if you leave the video input at all, then the 16x9 mode automatically turns off and you have to enable it again.

7. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

There is a way to make the 16x9 mode come on when you turn your Wega on. Of course if you change the channel or video mode, it will go away. So if you watch mostly DVD's and leave the TV on Video 4 (for example), you'll be all set when you turn it on.

To do this you simply go into the service menu, turn the 16x9 mode on, write the change and turn the TV off. Now it will come on whenever you turn on the TV.

Jeff

8. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Keith,

Auto detection is a cool feature but is only present on the 32 inch models and above (FV and XBR).

A programmable remote would be a good idea though.

9. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I have the 36" FS model which does not do this automatically. It was a pain to go through all of the steps each time I wanted to watch a widescreen DVD so I bought a universal remote control with a "Macro" feature. I got the One-For-All Cinema 7 remote (about $30) which is great since it controls all of my gear. It has 2 "macro" buttons which record a sequence of steps. I simply "recorded" the steps necessary to go into setup and turn 16 x 9 enhanced mode on and assigned them to one of the macro buttons. Now when I want to watch a widescreen movie I hit one button and it goes through all of the steps in the sequence.

*NOTE: The 16x9 feature only works on the S-Video and Component inputs. If your DVD player is hooked up through the composite input (RCA jacks) you can't use this feature.

10. Tony Peck

Tony Peck Extra

Jeff,

I found what you suggested by accident while adjusting 16:9 geometry settings on my KV32FS12. I also noticed, however, that although the set comes on in 16:9 mode, the Setup menu will say "16:9 Mode OFF". I think by saving settings in 16:9 mode you confuse the TV. It's more of a bug in the software than a "feature".

Tony

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Yep, I've had that bug before when I adjusted the setting in the service menu...hey, maybe you'd like it better that way!

12. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Tony, your correct but it's not permenant. Just change the channel or turn it on and off again in the menu and you're all set.

Jeff