Help with 16x9 enhanced mode on new WEGA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Hancock, May 14, 2002.

1. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I just got my new wega all set up and ready to go but there is a problem that I am having with the 16x9 enhanced feature that everyone talks about so much. I have the following things set up

1)A 16x9 enhanced dvd playing

2)The feature turned to 'on' on the wega

3)The DVD player is set to 4x3

Whenever the 16x9 feature is turned on it widens the image to the incorrect aspect ratio for example

I tried this with Austin Powers and instead of being 1.90 it was more like 2.35

I remember reading a thread about this same problem a few months ago but the search feature turned up nothing. Can somebody help?

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    To use this feature you have to set the DVD player to output 16x9 and the disc must be anamorphic.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Remember that you are sending a 16:9 enhanced image to your TV. You have to set-up your DVD player as if it were connected to a 16:9 TV.

For interlaced signals, the TV will aut-detect the anamorphic signal and switch to 16:9 mode (at least the XBRs do this--maybe others don't).

Note that for progressive signals, you will have to manually select the 16:9 mode on the Wega.

4. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Thank guys. I figured out that it had to be an anamorphic dvd after thinking about it but the set up on the dvd player was what I was unsure of. Thanks again.