Does my 4x3 TV has 16x9 Enhanced mode?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ChrisBrown, Sep 18, 2003.

1. ChrisBrown

ChrisBrown Auditioning

Hi guys,

How can I tell if my 80cm 4x3 Sony Wega TV supports 16x9 Enhanced mode?

Thanks!

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Most TV sets actually do support 16:9 enhanced mode. The difficulty is that the control to do it might not be conveniently accessible. It might be a screwdriver adjustment perhaps labeled "height" or "vertical size" under the back cover, or a menu or service menu adjustment perhaps labeled "vsiz".

If the 4:3 TV "officially" has 16:9 enhanced mode, there will be information about that mode in the instruction manual.

If the 4:3 TV has gray instead of black top and bottom bars when in 16:9 mode, (turn the brightness way up after turning the contrast way down, just for a minute) it is probably not giving a true 16:9 enhancement but rather is doing the same downconversion that DVD players use for 4:3-only TV's.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

What is the model number? That might help. The otpion on my sony wega is in the setup submenu and it is actually called 16:9 enhanced mode. Quite nice. At least until I get a spiffy new widescreen monitor.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

All WEGAs of 27 inches and above have the 16:9 mode.