$1500 - $2000 to spend on new HT system.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Todd^B, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Todd^B

Todd^B Stunt Coordinator

Feb 18, 2004
    I am looking into buying a new receiver and 5.1 speaker system for a home theater system for our basement.

1. Where should I invest the most money? Most people say speakers. Should I maybe spend the most on a sub and center channel (since most of the voice/sound will come from the center)? Which speakers would you recommend?

2. I would like to have a 7.1 receiver, but it is not absolutely necessary right now. I will be watching 5.1 satellite and DVDs mostly. And some music, mostly classic rock and hard rock.

3. Does matching a speakers system to a reciever make alot of difference?

My other components:
    Panasonic DMR-E60 DVD Recorder (component & 5.1 out)
    RCA 5.1 surround satellite receiver (s-video & 5.1 out)
    JVC S-VHS VCR (s-video & stereo out)
    Possibly PC for games (5.1 out)
    Looking into getting Tivo
  2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Dec 17, 2003
    Well it depends on your tastes (bright vs warm, etc). I think if I were you I'd look at getting bookshelves for fronts and surrounds, either a center speaker or a matching bookshelf. Then pick up a Hsu sub for around $300-$400. If it were me I would probably go for the following:

Receiver: H/K 325 or 525 (refurb)
    Fronts/Surrounds: B&W 602's
    Center: B&W LCR 600
    Sub: Hsu STF-1 or STR-2

I think that would make a great system that you could pull in for under $2000, but just because I like B&W obviously doesn't mean you will. Some other brands to check out are Pardigm, Klipsch, Polk, and there are several others.
  3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

May 6, 2003
    Check out the ELT system at av123... can also come with a denon receiver of your choice as well. Have heard nothing but good things about them and head over there if you want more info.