What's new
World Wide Stereo

$1500 - $2000 to spend on new HT system. (1 Viewer)

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking into buying a new receiver and 5.1 speaker system for a home theater system for our basement.

1. Where should I invest the most money? Most people say speakers. Should I maybe spend the most on a sub and center channel (since most of the voice/sound will come from the center)? Which speakers would you recommend?

2. I would like to have a 7.1 receiver, but it is not absolutely necessary right now. I will be watching 5.1 satellite and DVDs mostly. And some music, mostly classic rock and hard rock.

3. Does matching a speakers system to a reciever make alot of difference?

My other components:
Panasonic DMR-E60 DVD Recorder (component & 5.1 out)
RCA 5.1 surround satellite receiver (s-video & 5.1 out)
JVC S-VHS VCR (s-video & stereo out)
Possibly PC for games (5.1 out)
Looking into getting Tivo

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Well it depends on your tastes (bright vs warm, etc). I think if I were you I'd look at getting bookshelves for fronts and surrounds, either a center speaker or a matching bookshelf. Then pick up a Hsu sub for around $300-$400. If it were me I would probably go for the following:

Receiver: H/K 325 or 525 (refurb)
Fronts/Surrounds: B&W 602's
Center: B&W LCR 600
Sub: Hsu STF-1 or STR-2

I think that would make a great system that you could pull in for under $2000, but just because I like B&W obviously doesn't mean you will. Some other brands to check out are Pardigm, Klipsch, Polk, and there are several others.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Check out the ELT system at av123... can also come with a denon receiver of your choice as well. Have heard nothing but good things about them and head over there if you want more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks