What's new

HT Preamp Recommendations needed! (1 Viewer)

Joseph Shmoe

Auditioning
I am looking for a new av preamp and am wondering if anyone here can help me! Here is my current setup which has served me well over the years. I mostly listen to movies/watch TV, but Ido some stereo listening once in a while:

Outlaw 990
5x Outlaw monoblocks (using balanced inputs at the moment
AppleTV
Apple mac mini
xbox
ps3
speakers - magnepan 1.7 surround and dynaudio center and sub300's
JVC DILA RS1 Projector

My 990 preamp power supply died so I've been limping along on an old yamaha RX-V657 receiver. I am looking to replace it and modernize the audio side of my system. One big upgrade will be the ability to switch HDMI, which I dont do now. I mostly use the Appletv and MacMini as my source so I am looking for something that is modern and complements my system well.

I'd really like to spend less than $1500 but I'll go to $2000 if there is a good reason to. In my experience, there are diminishing (real world usage) returns after that level of prepro. I am a long time audiophile and can have a critical ear, but 9 times out of 10 I am just casually listening. To be honest, I cant tell a huge difference between the outlaw and the yamaha receiver I'm using temporarily.

I am still researching the new gadgets but the idea of airplay seems like I might use it - wireless or ethernet connectivity too, but I dont really need these things I guess. I would like to keep the balanced inputs on my monoblocks. I normally dont play with eq and sound settings a lot, I'm usually just on dolby pro logic.

Hopefully that gives enough to go on.. Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Balanced aren't a "trend".Yes there is a reason to have them. They are necessary if you cable run is longer than 6'. Some say 10'.Unless you want to use digital coax, which over 6' starts resulting in signal loss(compared to balanced).

Joseph Shmoe

Auditioning
My runs are only about 6'. It would be nice to avoid paying another $2-300 in cables though. I bought nice balanced ones. :)

I should note that my sub woofer balanced cable is a very long run, about 30'.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you're still looking, this is a great deal while it lasts. I got one. It has one small issue that is still unresolved, it takes a couple seconds to "lock" onto most digital audio sources after a pause or other change. It might be fixed with a firmware update, or it might not. The sound quality is excellent. It is built without all the unnecessary/detrimental options. Intended for best audio.

Sherbourne PT-7030

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks