What's new

Help with new HT setup (1 Viewer)

travis*

Auditioning
Hi all. I'm new here and have been out of the HT loop for a very long time so I'm trying to get suggestions for setting up a new HT system for my house and need all the help I can get. I've read through previous posts, but am more confused now. I'm looking to have at least a 6.1 and maybe 7.1 system. I'll use it about 70% for Theater, 20% for DVD Concerts and 10% for music. I already have a set of Polk Monitor 70s for the front and now I need the rest of the system. The room is 22' wide by 20' deep with a built in recessed entertainment center.
Some of my thoughts are:
Receiver: Onkyo 503, HK 235, or the Pioneer 1014
Center: CSi3 or CS2
Subwoofer: Velodyne DLS-3750 (I can get a new one for $279)
Rear: Looking at the Polk RTi4, but open to suggestions
Is this compatible and will it work/sound decent? Also pricing plays a little factor--I'm looking to spend around $1500 to $2000.
Thanks

rob-h

Second Unit
Thats a big room. That 10 inch sub is not going to do it. I dont know how efficent those speakers are but the onkyo 503 might be a tad underpowered as well.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Bigger room...

You need power and a mean sub...

I'd think Yamaha 5890 AVR, and two 12" Dayton special subs......

travis*

Auditioning
Thanks for the repsonses. I've done a little more research now and am thinking about the Marantz sr8400 or Denon 3805 receiver. Any thoughts?
How about the Polk PSW303 Sub also?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Both nice AVR's.... Go with the one you feel has the most power. As far as cost -vs- power output -vs- pre/pro/video capabilities go, I still like the Yamaha 5890 AVR. I would consider both of your listed AVR's a small step up from the Yamaha 5890 though they may not have quite as much muscle.

I still think your better off with the Dayton 12" specials subs for $138.00. I just have not had good luck with the Polk subs. Heck two of those Dyaton subs would beyond slay that Polk sub and cost less. I'd say one of the Dayton subs woudl slay that sub as well in all honesty.

travis*

Auditioning
Thanks John. Good feedback.
I'll research the 5890 some more and compare it to the others. I guess it might all come down to the price of them.
How would I go about hooking up two of the Dayton 12" subs? Just daisy chain them or is there a special way?
Anyone have feedback on the center or rear speakers?

John S

Senior HTF Member
You would just "Y" it out with quality sub type RCA cables....

Speakers are tough for me, when I install, I always use the same exact speaker in all locations.

My next install will be 6.1 with 6 JBL E30's as long as the owner agrees to their formfactor and looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks