What's new

13 Reasons Why (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Surprised there's no thread for this yet given it has apparently become one of the most popular and buzzed about Netflix series yet. I finished it last night – had planned to watch two more episodes but instead watched the last 5 of the 13 total shows.

For the uninitiated, the series is about Hannah Baker, a high school girl who commits suicide. Prior to this desperate act she records 13 cassette tapes explaining why she did it, and which of her classmates are partly responsible. We experience these tapes through Clay, a friend of Hannah's who is surprised to learn that he is the subject of one of her tapes.

It's a hard show to discuss without spoiling any of its revelations. In fact, there are many times it's just a hard show to watch, period. But the performances are excellent, and it paints a vivid but bleak picture of where our culture is now.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
It is one of the best acted and written TV shows I have watched. You are correct it is tough to watch at times. We watched the last 5-6 shows yesterday it is tough to watch that way. You need a break to rebalance. Amazing show.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
It is one of the best acted and written TV shows I have watched.
Wait, what? Is it the only show you've ever watched? :P

Admittedly I've only seen the first two episodes, but (at least so far) the acting and especially the writing doesn't stand out to me. I think the show is okay, although, at least so far, I have a problem with the overall premise. But I'll reserve judgment on that until I see how it all plays out (assuming I even make it that far).

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Wait, what? Is it the only show you've ever watched? :P

Admittedly I've only seen the first two episodes, but (at least so far) the acting and especially the writing doesn't stand out to me. I think the show is okay, although, at least so far, I have a problem with the overall premise. But I'll reserve judgment on that until I see how it all plays out (assuming I even make it that far).

Well like all things everyone has an opinion and most don't agree. I did say one of the best not the best... I also said it isn't a TV show for everyone. It is a tough topic and even gets worse as you go along in the show. Very dark show.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I think it's very well-acted and well-written as well. What I found interesting is the implications of the story, and to what extent Hannah's actions were driven by those around her. As someone who believes the concept of personal responsibility has been replaced by a culture of triggers and safe zones, I'm not sure I am comfortable with the message the show is sending. But if it starts discussions about this and other topics, it will have served a purpose beyond entertainment.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested it this but is it shown that gets all preachy and bullying is bad, that sort of thing?

Also will I be taken out of the show because the girl is pretty and then hard to believe she'd be tormented in some way by 13 people:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely loved this. Great acting and well written. It’s scary to realize that there are people out there with anxiety, depression, etc. that need help and support but can’t/won’t/are unable to ask for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks