What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Lightyear (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“FUNNY, WITH SUSPENSE AND HEART”

– David Rooney, The Hollywood Reporter

Graphical user interface  Description automatically generated with medium confidence

Go To Infinity and Beyond When Lightyear Launches onto Digital

August 3 and 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD September 13

BURBANK, CA (July 24, 2022)
– You know the toy. Discover his story when Disney and Pixar Studios’ epic space adventure Lightyear debuts on all major digital platforms August 3 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD September 13.

Described as an “Extremely fun action sci-fi film that will bring a smile to fans of the character” (Ross Bonaime, Collider) and Certified-Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes™, Lightyear brings to vivid life the origin story of the iconic Space Ranger.

Pixar fans can add to their Toy Story movie collection, and access bonus content including exclusive deleted scenes, featurettes and an audio commentary by filmmaker Angus MacLane. Lightyear will also stream on Disney+.

Film Synopsis

From Disney and Pixar comes an animated sci-fi action-adventure — the definitive origin story of Buzz Lightyear (voice of Chris Evans), the hero who inspired the toy. Lightyear follows the legendary Space Ranger on an intergalactic adventure alongside ambitious recruits, Izzy, Mo and Darby, and his robot companion Sox. As this motley crew embark on their toughest mission yet, they must learn to work as a team to escape the evil Zurg and his dutiful robot army who are never far behind.

Bonus Features*

Deleted Scenes

• Deleted Scenes Introduction – Director Angus MacLane introduces six scenes that are all drawn, set to music, timed and voiced, but are not included in the final version of this amazing film – which took five and a half years to make!
  • The Dump – In one of LIGHTYEAR’s original opening scenes, we explore Proxima B, with its carnivorous plants, sulfur pits, weird bugs, hot climate, and lack of coffee! A familiar Space Ranger volunteers to risk all in an effort to return to Earth.
  • Polly – Buzz relives childhood memories when he visits an aeronautic museum in which his father is memorialized. There, he finds Polly, his dad’s robot companion bird, who possesses a very revealing recorded message meant for Buzz!
  • Meet Izzy – After young Izzy and her family (including her brother Maurice) move in next door to Buzz, the adorable, talkative girl bursts into Buzz’s home, warms up to Sox, and asks Buzz a lot of questions.
  • Up in the Lair – After his spacecraft crash-lands and he winds up in the bunker of fledgling Space Rangers, Buzz is introduced to cheesy snacks and a character whose role was cut due to time. He also receives shocking information about his father.
  • Tilted Ship – Star Command Space Rangers of the 56th Airborne Alpha Quadrant meet Buzz and the Space Ranger students. Buzz is given a truth serum so he’ll expose whatever he knows about his father’s connection to the aliens who have taken over Proxima B.
  • Fathership – Buzz wakes up in what he thinks is his childhood home, where he meets his father, who was a time travel pilot, just as he is. But it turns out he’s on the mothership of the aliens who are destroying Proxima B – and hope to vanquish Buzz as well!

Featurettes

• Building the World of Lightyear – Visits to the Johnson Space Center in Houston and a very familiar cinematic archive gave the filmmakers inspiration as they embarked on the exciting journey of creating Lightyear’s breathtaking production design.
  • The Zap Patrol – Meet the actors who gave voice to Izzy, Mo and Darby, the untrained, unprepared rangers who join Buzz on the adventure of a lifetime. While the misfits may not seem ideal for the mission, their unlikely friendship helps see them through challenging times.
  • Toyetic – Learn why Lightyear is one of the most “toyetic” films ever. Join director Angus MacLane and others on the meticulous, fun process of creating toy models for spaceships and other production elements that led to the film’s richly textured animation.

Audio Commentary

• Lightyear Filmmaker Commentary – Join director Angus MacLane, writer Jason Headley, and director of photography Jeremy Lasky as they provide insight into the making of this remarkable animated feature while you watch it.

*bonus features vary by product and retailer

Voice Cast

Chris Evans
as Buzz Lightyear

Keke Palmer as Izzy Hawthorne

Peter Sohn as SOX

Taika Waititi as Mo Morrison

Dale Soules as Darby Steel

James Brolin as Zurg

Uzo Aduba as Alisha Hawthorne

Mary McDonald-Lewis as I.V.A.N

Isiah Whitlock Jr. as Commander Burnside

Efren Ramirez as Airman Díaz

Keira Hairston as Young Izzy

Directed by

Angus MacLane

Produced by

Galyn Susman p.g.a

Executive Producers

Pete Docter

Andrew Stanton

Screenplay by

Angus MacLane

and Jason Headley

Story by

Angus MacLane

Matthew Aldrich

and Jason Headley

Music by

Michael Giacchino

Product Specifications

Street Date

Digital: August 3

Physical: September 13

Product SKUs

Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD

Physical: 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Code), Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Code) & DVD

Feature Run Time

Approx. 108 minutes

Rating

U.S. Rated PG

Aspect Ratio

Digital: 2.39

Physical: 2.39:1

U.S. Audio

4K Ultra HD: English 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, English 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital, English 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos, English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus

Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English 5.1 DTS-HDHR, English 2.0 Dolby Digital, English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital,

DVD: English 5.1 Dolby, English 2.0 Dolby, English AD 2.0 Dolby, Spanish 5.1 Dolby

Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

U.S. Subtitles

4K Ultra HD: English SDH, Spanish, French

Blu-ray: English SDH, Spanish, French

DVD: English SDH, Spanish

Digital: English SDH, French, Spanish (some platforms)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is my favorite movie of the year so far. I can't wait to add it to my collection.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It didn't last.long in the theatre.i was out of town for a couple of weeks and when I got back it had already been replaced.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ron posted the 4K Blu-ray artwork at the top of this thread. The Blu-ray+DVD is getting different artwork. Here is what that one looks like.

Lightyear Blu-ray.jpg

I think this is overly busy, and I'm generally not a fan of big head covers. At least the 4K edition in the first post looks quite nice.

And here is a look at the artwork for the steelbook, which of course is a Best Buy exclusive.

Lightyear steelbook.jpg

Link: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lighty...y-only--best-buy-2022/6514191.p?skuId=6514191

I find it interesting that only two discs are shown here because new Pixar releases are usually three discs, including two formats of the movie plus a bonus disc. Turning Red which just came out on disc in May follows this pattern.

That being said, the list of bonus features in the press release for Lightyear seems pretty comparable to other recent Pixar releases, so it doesn't seem to be particularly lacking in that department.

I have gone with steelbooks for Pixar's last few releases, but in this case I am going with the regular release. Lightyear will live on the shelf next to my Toy Story discs, which are lined up nicely in a row of six keepcases. The steelbook would break that uniformity. So the regular release wins out. The last Pixar movie I bought in a keepcase was Toy Story 4 for the same reason. I'm glad to see they've dropped the obnoxious Movies Anywhere logos from the bottom of the artwork since that release.

Aspect Ratio

Digital: 2.39

Physical: 2.39:1
This is to be expected because it follows Disney's normal release strategy. But it is worth noting that Lightyear had an expanded aspect ratio for its IMAX presentation which is not included here. I am not sure how much footage was produced in IMAX, but I know part of it was.

The 2.39:1 version is what I saw theatrically so it is what I want. But fans who saw it in IMAX might be disappointed. I haven't heard yet whether the IMAX version will be available on Disney+ as is customary for the Marvel releases.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Disney and Amazon still aren't playing nice on pre-orders.
Ron posted the Blu-ray pre-order, but still waiting on Amazon to post the 4K link for those of us into that format.

That Amazon link Ron posted the other day was to the 4K release. This morning, Amazon added the Blu-ray link.

Furthermore, Disney and Amazon are doing much better with their pre-order links than beforehand.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This is to be expected because it follows Disney's normal release strategy. But it is worth noting that Lightyear had an expanded aspect ratio for its IMAX presentation which is not included here. I am not sure how much footage was produced in IMAX, but I know part of it was.

Wikipedia claims:

"The first animated feature film to have its aspect ratio opened up to 1.43:1 for 40 minutes of the film. The first film to have a virtual IMAX camera in its progress."

If the VAR version of the movie is to appear anywhere, it might show up as a Disney+ streaming exclusive.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I was able to order the 4k steelbook this morning from Best Buy Canada, which was a complete shocker (they still don't have the Dr. Strange 4k steelbook, and it comes out tomorrow!).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron posted the Blu-ray pre-order, but still waiting on Amazon to post the 4K link for those of us into that format.

That Amazon link Ron posted the other day was to the 4K release. This morning, Amazon added the Blu-ray link.

Furthermore, Disney and Amazon are doing much better with their pre-order links than beforehand.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It looks like Disney Movie Club will have exclusive art for their copies of the Blu-ray+DVD version. I'm guessing this is probably a variant slipcover.

320891_front.jpg

The regular artwork for the Blu-ray is too cluttered and busy. I think this is better than that. But the artwork for the 4K release is the best one in my opinion.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Interesting what Amazon's pre-order pricing is for all three formats at the moment:

4K/BD/Digital combo: $29.99
BD/DVD/Digital combo: $24.99
DVD: $29.99

Reminds me of a customer back when I worked at Best Buy who I was helping find a particular film on DVD. I found the film on both DVD and Blu-ray/DVD combo, and the combo was substantially cheaper at the moment - I think the combo was $9.99 and the DVD was $19.99. I tried to sell him the combo, but he refused, even though the DVD included in the combo was identical to the stand alone DVD, saying something about how Blu-ray was snake oil and that he also did not have a Blu-ray player. He ended up paying $20 for the DVD instead. :wacko:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
$29.99 is Disney's usual retail price for most of their standalone DVDs. I'm guessing the discount pricing just hasn't kicked in on that version yet.

But that's funny.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Are the IMAX scenes full-screen 16:9 or mildly letterboxed to 1.90:1?

Couldn’t tell you as it doesn’t premiere in the service until tomorrow.

The IMAX digital ratio is 1.90:1, and the IMAX 15/70 & laser ratio is 1.43:1. I am unsure which ratio was used because I didn’t see the film in IMAX.

We can look towards Marvel’s Eternals on D+ for potential hints. That title had 1.43:1 footage in IMAX, and that footage appeared in a 1.78:1 crop on the D+ showing, analogous to the way Christopher Nolan’s IMAX material is cropped to 1.78:1 for Blu-ray/UHD.

I would say if Lightyear was a 1.90:1 IMAX film theatrically, that’s what D+ will show. If it was a 1.43:1 film theatrically, then it will likely be 1.78:1 on D+.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Couldn’t tell you as it doesn’t premiere in the service until tomorrow.

The IMAX digital ratio is 1.90:1, and the IMAX 15/70 & laser ratio is 1.43:1. I am unsure which ratio was used because I didn’t see the film in IMAX.

We can look towards Marvel’s Eternals on D+ for potential hints. That title had 1.43:1 footage in IMAX, and that footage appeared in a 1.78:1 crop on the D+ showing, analogous to the way Christopher Nolan’s IMAX material is cropped to 1.78:1 for Blu-ray/UHD.

I would say if Lightyear was a 1.90:1 IMAX film theatrically, that’s what D+ will show. If it was a 1.43:1 film theatrically, then it will likely be 1.78:1 on D+.

IMDb says it was 1.43:1 in Laser IMAX and 1.90:1 on other IMAX screens.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
First non-Marvel movie that D+ is offering this for.
On that note, Disney has IMAX ratio versions of The Force Awakens (for one scene) and the live-action Beauty and the Beast (for the entire movie) at their disposal. I'm really surprised that they haven't put those up yet. Both of those are already available on Disney+ in their traditional widescreen formats, so I'm not really sure what they are waiting for with respect to the IMAX framing.

My internet has been wonky for the last couple days, but once those issues get ironed out I'll be checking out the IMAX framing on Lightyear. The only IMAX locally is inside an AMC which I am boycotting, so I didn't have the IMAX version available at a place I was willing to patronize. I think this is why the lack of the IMAX aspect ratio on Disney discs doesn't bother me much. For me, the scope version is the way I see these movies now, so the disc accurately reflects my theatrical experience. However, it is too bad that Disney won't provide that on disc for those who want it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks