What's new

What would you like to see from Twilight Time next? (1 Viewer)

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Ed Lachmann said:
Doug, it is 16:9-2.35:1 but it appears on my screen as a smaller image which I must zoom into to get it to have the black bands only on the top and bottom and fill the screen. Or course, this reduces the sharpness, But, yes, it is anamorphic widescreen and certainly worth it if this will be the final word on this film.
If it appears as a small image with borders on all 4 sides that you need to zoom then it isn't an anamorphic dvd.
Its letterboxed .

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
bluelaughaminute said:
If it appears as a small image with borders on all 4 sides that you need to zoom then it isn't an anamorphic dvd.
Its letterboxed .
Yes, I have the German Boy On A Dolphin (Der Knabe auf dem Delphin) put out by KSM Klassiker and it's 4x3 letterboxed. It's okay on a smaller TVs, but softer on larger displays. Color and contrast are good.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I'd buy this on bd! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 27

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
John Hermes said:
Yes, I have the German Boy On A Dolphin (Der Knabe auf dem Delphin) put out by KSM Klassiker and it's 4x3 letterboxed. It's okay on a smaller TVs, but softer on larger displays. Color and contrast are good.
Thanks John, I suspected that was the case.

I just hope that somebody comes up with a true Anamorphic version of "Boy On A Dolphin" sometime soon, after all, we got a decent Anamorphic version of "Violent Saturday" just when things looked lost.

Doug.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Sleuth is part of the Disney/ABC library, along with the Selznick and Cinerama Productions libraries, which were licenced out to Anchor Bay in the 90s/early 2000s, and there are some residual rights to some titles that reside with MGM as part of a licencing agreement with ABC that predates the Disney/ABC merger.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I guess my semantics with term "anamorphic" is terribly old school. It always brings forth memories of having to call Chicago and renting a set of anamorphic lenses they'd ship off to us and we'd attach to our projectors to enable us to screen a squeezed scope print. They were tricky buggers sometimes, too. Always though of it as just widescreen not as a particular type of widescreen DVD, oops!

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Stephen_J_H said:
Sleuth is part of the Disney/ABC library, along with the Selznick and Cinerama Productions libraries, which were licenced out to Anchor Bay in the 90s/early 2000s, and there are some residual rights to some titles that reside with MGM as part of a licencing agreement with ABC that predates the Disney/ABC merger.
Does that mean this one is trapped in 'rights h3ll'?

Or just 'Disney-live action h3ll'?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Ed Lachmann said:
I guess my semantics with term "anamorphic" is terribly old school. It always brings forth memories of having to call Chicago and renting a set of anamorphic lenses they'd ship off to us and we'd attach to our projectors to enable us to screen a squeezed scope print. They were tricky buggers sometimes, too. Always though of it as just widescreen not as a particular type of widescreen DVD, oops!
Yeah, anamorphic film and anamorphic DVD are different things. All the 1.78/1.85 films that fill your 16x9 TV are anamorphic DVD, yet they were shot flat on film! The DVD is actually squeezed but your player expands it (when set at that mode) to fill the 16x9 frame. Same with 2.35 films, although they still have some black on top and bottom since they do not fit the 16x9 (1.78) ratio. Boy on a Dolphin was shot in CinemaScope with an anamorphic lens, but the German DVD is not anamorphic, but is 4x3 letterbox. On a 4x3 TV, it will fill the screen from side to side, but on a 16x9 TV it will be centered in 4x3 box in the middle of the screen. I'm sure I made this clear as mud. Anamorphic lenses on movie projectors can indeed be tricky to focus, since you have to focus the projector and the anamorphic lenses separately. I had 16mm and 35mm outfits in my film collecting days.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Since MGM has never released Sleuth in any format, I'm gonna go with Disney/ABC h3ll. There are a few titles in this Cinerama/ABC/Palomar library that have only ever been released by Anchor Bay, including The Killing of Sister George.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Stephen_J_H said:
Since MGM has never released Sleuth in any format, I'm gonna go with Disney/ABC h3ll. There are a few titles in this Cinerama/ABC/Palomar library that have only ever been released by Anchor Bay, including The Killing of Sister George.
Not exactly true. The Killing of Sister George, and even They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (another ABC/Palomar picture formerly with Anchor Bay), were both re-released on DVD by MGM circa 2004/2005.

I agree though that MGM appears to have zero history with Sleuth, even on VHS. But could this have been merely the result of MGM running aground financially before they could get around to a DVD re-release, like the two examples above? It's curious that the original 1972 Sleuth was not re-released to coincide with the Sony remake in 2007.

Which brings me back to the question, "Is there some other rights issue?"

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
There surely has to be some reason for Sleuth's non-appearance. It's such a classic that it couldn't have been simply overlooked.
And the other outstanding omission I'm waiting for is 'Tom Jones'....

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
AnthonyClarke said:
There surely has to be some reason for Sleuth's non-appearance. It's such a classic that it couldn't have been simply overlooked.
And the other outstanding omission I'm waiting for is 'Tom Jones'....
I've stopped looking for reasons why films aren't released.

There are too many 'classics' missing for me to try to ascribe meaning to any particular non-appearance (and I don't subscribe to any of the Company Y"hates/doesn't care/is lazy/is evil" speculative garbage).

The only thing I know is that film 'X' isn't out. "Why?" will never be answered.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I saw Sleuth when it came out, and not once since. Blu time. And anyone for Murder by Death? Not sure who owns that one...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ethan Riley said:
I saw Sleuth when it came out, and not once since. Blu time. And anyone for Murder by Death? Not sure who owns that one...
There are A LOT of fans of Murder by Death at HTF. I'd LOVE to see it on Blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ethan Riley said:
It is a Columbia picture so it's Sony. I keep hoping for an announcement from Twilight. MURDER BY DEATH is a buy here and from the threads on the film it should hit low quantities within a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks