What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Is Paris Burning? -- in Blu-ray (3 Viewers)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Is this still accurate? This was on the KINO announcement. Is it mentioned anywhere on the cover of the blu ray?
• "Digitally Restored from a 4K scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative by Paramount Pictures in Association with American Zoetrope and Francis Ford Coppola"

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
I saw some years ago a broadcast transfer of this movie and it was not only in stereo, but it also had very distinct directionalized dialogue, I suppose they could do that since most of the movie was dubbed in post.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Paramount + version is stereo as was the DVD so there’s definitely something wrong here. I’m not buying it if it’s mono.
Ah, it's Taras Bulba (1962) all over again. The Kino release was mono, but the German Koch release was in very good stereo (the English track). Ha, false alarm...see below.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is this still accurate? This was on the KINO announcement. Is it mentioned anywhere on the cover of the blu ray?
• "Digitally Restored from a 4K scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative by Paramount Pictures in Association with American Zoetrope and Francis Ford Coppola"
Accurate. A beautiful job by all involved.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Lest deciphering the WIKI bio and extensive filmography seems tangential, Paul is referring to the fact that Gert Frobe’s voice was not used in Goldfinger, as his English was not sufficient. Goldfinger’s lines were all overdubbed by Michael Collins.

Don’t quote me, but If memory serves, Frobe didn’t even mouth the English. He spoke German which was overdubbed in post - commonly done in that time period especially in European productions with international casts.
He's clearly saying the lines such as "I expect you to die!"

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RAH,

Can you edit your initial post before more people cancel their orders?
The Blu-ray is confirmed as 5.1 stereo, but (at least on my system) strangely defaults to track 1, which is 2-channel monaural. The track needs to be switched to 2.

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
From DVDBeaver review it sounds like there is indeed a 5.1 track. He gives the bitrate. etc. in his review.

AudioDTS-HD Master Audio English 1606 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1606 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
DTS-HD Master Audio English 2321 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 2321 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
DTS-HD Master Audio French 1561 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1561 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
Commentary:
Dolby Digital Audio English 192 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From DVDBeaver review it sounds like there is indeed a 5.1 track. He gives the bitrate. etc. in his review.

AudioDTS-HD Master Audio English 1606 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1606 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
DTS-HD Master Audio English 2321 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 2321 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
DTS-HD Master Audio French 1561 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1561 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
Commentary:
Dolby Digital Audio English 192 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps
In second position. I consider that as an authoring error.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Disney used to do that, their discs would default to regular Stereo 2.0 rather than 5.1 which had to be specifically selected in the audio options. Presumably because they thought most people would be watching with TV speakers rather than a full surround system.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I saw some years ago a broadcast transfer of this movie and it was not only in stereo, but it also had very distinct directionalized dialogue, I suppose they could do that since most of the movie was dubbed in post.

If the Blu-ray has directional dialogue, I would be interested.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Disney used to do that, their discs would default to regular Stereo 2.0 rather than 5.1 which had to be specifically selected in the audio options.

Arrow frequently does this as well.

When William Friedkin died last week, I gave the Arrow Blu-ray of Cruising a spin. The case specifically boasts "Newly remastered 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio supervised by William Friedkin," yet the disc itself defaults to a PCM 2.0 track. and you have to manually select the other option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks