What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The slipcover for Yorgos Lanthimos' Poor Things is the most beautiful I've seen thus far in 2024. It's incredibly designed, with printing and overall workmanship that bring to mind Wilton carpets and Connolly hides.

Printed over a white base is full color matte imagery that literally appears to bleed into the glossy background until one realizes that the gloss is actually printed atop the matte.

I'm betting that it will be a First Printing thing - think the 1851 Moby Dick - and may soon be going for huge numbers to the growing number of slipcover collectors world-wide.

I'm not making note of the importance of the slipcover design first because there's anything wrong with what's within. Conversely, the film is a superior production. Artfully written and directed, and based upon the novel by Alasdair Gray.

The cast led by Emma Stone, and supported by Mark Ruffalo and Willem Dafoe is likewise superb.

For those not yet exposed to this work, it is not your run of the mill rom-com, and your attention will not go unrewarded.

As a Fox Searchlight release via Disney, it's been released only in Blu-ray format even though it was shot on film in both S35 as well as 35/8, and finished in 4k.

While the Blu-ray is lovely, a 4k would have been a major step up. It's a pity that the extraordinary Victorian art direction can only be seen in 4k via streaming. Apparently, the digital code is also HD only.

Audio is likewise offered not in Dolby Atmos but DTS-HD MA 5.1.

Colors, grain structure, black levels, all nicely rendered.

Another one of those "what might have beens."

Image – 8

Audio – 9 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating -10

Very Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Poor-Things-...32-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
While the Blu-ray is lovely, a 4k would have been a major step up. It's a pity that the extraordinary Victorian art direction can only be seen in 4k via streaming. But I guess one can access it with the included digital code.
The digital code will be HD only.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To be clear, it is available for digital purchase in 4K UHD resolution. But, as is standard practice for digital coupons provided for physical media from Movies Anywhere participants, the digital code provided with the disc is provided at the same resolution as the included disc.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Digital copies are goofy, and very studio dependent. Up here in the Great White North, Paramount is iTunes exclusive for DC, and titles routinely upgrade to 4K on that platform. Up until last year, Disney was also iTunes exclusive, but they moved with the majority of the herd to Google Play, and so the digital codes reflect the original disc and in some cases, 4K isn't even available on some titles. Don't get me started on how SDS has effectively abandoned providing digital copies in their discs, and won't even include a BD in 4K titles now.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Digital copies are goofy, and very studio dependent. Up here in the Great White North, Paramount is iTunes exclusive for DC, and titles routinely upgrade to 4K on that platform. Up until last year, Disney was also iTunes exclusive, but they moved with the majority of the herd to Google Play, and so the digital codes reflect the original disc and in some cases, 4K isn't even available on some titles. Don't get me started on how SDS has effectively abandoned providing digital copies in their discs, and won't even include a BD in 4K titles now.
Wait…

Students for Democratic Society?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To be clear, it is available for digital purchase in 4K UHD resolution. But, as is standard practice for digital coupons provided for physical media from Movies Anywhere participants, the digital code provided with the disc is provided at the same resolution as the included disc.
Way too much information for me to digest.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I know you're kidding, but for the uninitiated around here, Studio Distribution Services is the joint venture between WB and Universal for physical media distribution.
And now Disknee is using Sony to distribute their discs ...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The digital code will be HD only.

Interesting. Apparently some sites have picked this up incorrectly.

The included code offers the customer the options of redeeming on Movies Anywhere or (I guess for those without a Movies Anywhere account) Vudu. Regardless, it will redeem as HD. The glass half full silver lining is that it will play in Dolby Atmos on Apple TV.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Students for Democratic Society?
Does that even exist anymore in today's post-secondary climate, far from healthy learning and debate? If "this" SDS existed, it would be a membership of 1 person. Would that then make this SDS an authoritarian organization? Or a dictatorship without a membership? Probably so, and thus it would be approved - without reservation - as a campus club :P:P:P

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
On sale at VUDU for $12.99. It’s an MA title so it will port over to iTunes and others in 4K/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Those who on the fence about this title, it will be on Hulu starting Mar 8.
I have not seen it yet but it’s my understanding that it definitely will not appeal to everybody but discerning viewers will be well rewarded.

Robert Saccone

Premium
On sale at VUDU for $12.99. It’s an MA title so it will port over to iTunes and others in 4K/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos.
I prefer to use Apple platforms so I am wondering is there any drawback now or in the future from buying from VUDU?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks