What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Winner of four Academy Awards including Best Actress for Emma Stone, Poor Things is now available on Blu-ray.

Poor Things (2023)

Released: 27 Feb 2024
Rated: R
Runtime: 141 min

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Cast: Emma Stone, Mark Ruffalo, Willem Dafoe
Writer(s): Tony McNamara, Alasdair Gray

Plot: The incredible tale about the fantastical evolution of Bella Baxter, a young woman brought back to life by the brilliant and unorthodox scientist Dr. Godwin Baxter.

IMDB rating: 8.3
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, English...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can't argue with anyone who didn't enjoy POOR THINGS as much as I did.

I haven't found too many people in my circle that appreciated this film. I watched it on digital with my brother and he was dumbfounded by it all after the viewing.

The film is very out-of-the-box which I suppose, as someone who watches a lot of Wes Anderson films (he did not direct this) can appreciate. I don't know if that is a fair comparison to make, but that's what this film felt like.

It's beautiful to watch but could be a bit odd for most. I was 100% immersed in this film and its story from start to finish.

For this year's Oscars, I wanted to see Lily Gladstone take the award. However, there was no dispute that Emma Stone deserved the win. She owns this film, giving a performance that is nothing short of astounding.

My only wish, as others have already expressed, is that this would have had a 4k release.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
but Bella’s adventures are just bizarre, almost for the sake of being, well, bizarre,
That's been my perception based on the clips I've seen and articles I've read.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Quoting myself from the Poor Things thread in Movies...

James Whale meets David Cronenberg meets Tim Burton meets Terry Gilliam meets Pedro Almodovar.

It isn't for everyone, but I absolutely loved everything about this film. While the adventures are bizarre, they are the vehicle to drive some social commentary. Told from a childlike perspective, the film examines the mores of polite society during the Victorian era, among other things.

While I disagree with Todd about the film, I do agree with his assessment of the technical aspects of the production. Wonderfully realized and deserving of the Academy Awards that it was awarded (including Best Actress.)

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I fully expect to enjoy and appreciate this film, but I've been in such a crappy state of mind lately that I realized when I tried to watch it a few days ago, it was not the right time. So I decided to come back to it later.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Every one of Bella’s adventures has been an evolution of her character and her journey of discovery about herself. Each has deep meaning for her.

Watch it and see if you agree. It’s a remarkable film.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is just my personal opinion, but I prefer to know as little as possible when going into a new film. Just a general idea of what it might be, but nothing more. I find it far more rewarding to enjoy the exploration of what it is, and try to stay open-minded.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is this a 5/5 video relative to what 1080p Blu-Ray can do or relative to what it looks like in (digital streaming) 4K? I've realized I'm unsure how discs are reviewed and scored for DVD and Blu-Ray in the age of 4K streaming and UHD discs.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Is this a 5/5 video relative to what 1080p Blu-Ray can do or relative to what it looks like in (digital streaming) 4K? I've realized I'm unsure how discs are reviewed and scored for DVD and Blu-Ray in the age of 4K streaming and UHD discs.
As I stated in my review, it “shows what a Blu-ray disc is still capable of. Where this disc truly shines is in the color sequences, which are intentionally rich in saturated color and heightened contrast (a byproduct of the Ektachrome reversal stock).”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks