What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Poor Things (2023) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
NOMINATED FOR 11 ACADEMY AWARDS®
INCLUDING BEST PICTURE, BEST DIRECTOR
& BEST ACTRESS EMMA STONE

595ff076-975e-3eae-132f-eb6508bc3b83.png

Be The First To Watch At Home And Catch Up Before The Academy
Awards® When Searchlight Pictures’ Poor Things Arrives On Digital
February 27 And Blu-ray™ And DVD March 12

BURBANK, CA (February 12, 2024)
– From acclaimed filmmaker Yorgos Lanthimos, Searchlight Pictures’ award-winning Poor Things will be available from all major digital retailers including Prime Video, Apple TV and Vudu on February 27 and will be available on Blu-ray and DVD from March 12, with exclusive bonus content.

Winner of Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) and Best Actress (Motion Picture Musical or Comedy) for Emma Stone at this year’s Golden Globe Awards®. It has been nominated for eleven Academy Awards® and eleven BAFTA Awards. Poor Things was also named one of the 10 best films of 2023 by both the American Film Institute and the National Board of Review. After taking the Lido by storm and winning the Golden Lion prize at Venice, the film continued to wow audiences also premiering at the Telluride Film Festival, the New York Film Festival, and on the international circuit.

Described as “nonstop bonkers brilliance” (David Rooney, The Hollywood Reporter) and featuring “a dazzling Emma Stone performance" (Radhika Seth, Vogue) this wildly imaginative and exhilarating film is Certified-Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes™ (92%) and is currently still delighting audiences in theatres across the country.

Film Synopsis
From filmmaker Yorgos Lanthimos and producer Emma Stone comes this incredible tale and fantastical evolution of Bella Baxter (Emma Stone), a young woman brought back to life by the brilliant and unorthodox scientist Dr. Godwin Baxter (Willem Dafoe). Under Baxter’s protection, Bella is eager to learn. Hungry for the worldliness she is lacking, Bella runs off with Duncan Wedderburn (Mark Ruffalo), a slick and debauched lawyer, on a whirlwind adventure across the continents. Free from the prejudices of her times, Bella grows steadfast in her purpose to stand for equality and liberation. Also starring Ramy Youssef, Christopher Abbott and Jerrod Carmichael, “Poor Things” was written by Tony McNamara, based on the book by Alasdair Gray, and produced by Ed Guiney, Andrew Lowe, Yorgos Lanthimos and Emma Stone.

Bonus Features*
Featurettes
  • Possessing Beauty - The Making of Poor Things. Join Yorgos Lanthimos, Emma Stone, cast and crew in the making of this fantastical film. Explore the costumes, makeup and prosthetics in detail. Take a tour with Willem Dafoe and see how Godwin and Bella’s home mirrors and accommodates them both.
Deleted Things
  • Brothel Doctor
  • Alfie’s Chapter
  • Bella’s Notebook
* Bonus features vary by product and retailer

Cast
Emma Stone as Bella Baxter
Mark Ruffalo as Duncan Wedderburn
Willem Dafoe as Godwin Baxter
Ramy Youssef as Max McCandles
Christopher Abbot as Alfie Blessington
Suzy Bemba as Toinette
Jerrod Carmichael as Harry Astley
Kathryn Hunter as Swiney
Vicki Pepperdine as Mrs. Prim
Margaret Qualley as Felicity
Hanna Schygulla as Martha Von Kurtzroc

Directed by
Yorgos Lanthimos

Based Upon the novel by
Alasdair Gray

Screenplay by
Tony McNamara

Produced by
Ed Guiney p.g.a.
Andrew Lowe p.g.a.
Yorgos Lanthimos p.g.a.
Emma Stone p.g.a.

Product Specifications
Release Date
Digital: February 27
Physical: March 12

Product SKU
Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD
Physical: Blu-ray (Blu-ray + Digital Code) & DVD

Feature Run Time
Approx. 142 minutes

Rating
U.S. Rated R
* For strong and pervasive sexual content, graphic nudity, disturbing material, gore, and language.

Aspect Ratio
Digital: 1.66:1
Physical: 1.66:1

Disc Size
Blu-ray: 50GB
DVD: 8.5GB

U.S. Audio
Blu-ray: English 5.1 DTS-HDMA and 2.0 Dolby Digital Descriptive Audio, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD: English, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital Descriptive Audio
Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English & French Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

U.S. Subtitles
Blu-ray: English SDH, Spanish, French
DVD: English SDH, Spanish, French
Digital: English SDH, French, Spanish (some platforms)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Poor-Things-...11-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
An exceptional film. Probably the most sex-and-gore-filled movie Disney has ever released.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why is everything being released on March 12?

I'll probably get this at some point, but there are way too many discs earmarked for that date to get everything at once.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Where is the 4K physical release tho? If not I’ll stilck with the 4K digital/Atmos.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm going to skip the BD for as long as possible, despite it being my favourite movie of the year. I'll wait to see if someone like Criterion releases it on 4k UHD, which might be a possibility after the movie sweeps the Oscars (calling it now). I'm doing the same for The Menu, The Holdovers, and The Banshees of Inisherin.

After about a year I'll bite the bullet and buy the BD (which should be about the time the movie gets announced for 4K, knowing my luck).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm going to skip the BD for as long as possible, despite it being my favourite movie of the year. I'll wait to see if someone like Criterion releases it on 4k UHD, which might be a possibility after the movie sweeps the Oscars (calling it now). I'm doing the same for The Menu, The Holdovers, and The Banshees of Inisherin.

After about a year I'll bite the bullet and buy the BD (which should be about the time the movie gets announced for 4K, knowing my luck).
What about the 4K digital? Not interested?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Where is the 4K physical release tho?
Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits said, "there is no physical 4K UHD currently planned." As others have mentioned, this isn't much of a surprise considering Searchlight's recent patterns.

The last Searchlight title I bought was Theater Camp, which wasn't released physically at all. I don't like buying digital, but for that film, I did it reluctantly. At least Poor Things is getting a physical Blu-ray. Yes, it should have more. But it's better than nothing at all.

I'll wait to see if someone like Criterion releases it on 4k UHD, which might be a possibility after the movie sweeps the Oscars (calling it now)
Has Disney licensed any Searchlight titles to Criterion recently? I can't recall any. Obviously, it's your money and your choice as to how to spend it. But I wouldn't let the quest for perfect (4K) be an enemy of good (Blu-ray) if it was a film I really wanted. That's why I swallowed hard and bought Theater Camp digitally. I'd rather have a disc and would absolutely purchase one if they ever came out with it. But, for me, having access to the movie digitally is better than not having access to it at all. YMMV of course.

The Holdovers
Coming to physical 4K in the UK if you want to import: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/020124-1530

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
For those skipping the upcoming blu ray of Poor Things in the anticipation of a UHD release that may never come, consider that if the blu ray sales aren't strong, why would a UHD release even be considered? "Gee, Poor Things didn't sell as well as we hoped on blu ray. Hey, why don't we release it on UHD!". It's more likely that if the blu ray sales are good, then it might be an impetus for a UHD release, "Hey, Poor Things did really well on blu ray, what about a UHD release?". I say if you want the movie on UHD, support the blu ray release or you're just shooting yourself in the foot. Just my two cents.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Coming to physical 4K in the UK if you want to import: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/020124-1530
I mean the fact that there is already an option to get a physical copy of The Holdovers sort of supports my waiting strategy. I give it about a year or so, and then I reluctantly buy whatever physical version is available. I've already seen these movies in the theatre. I'm not going to re-watch them so soon that I need the physical copy ASAP. I can wait a year.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For those skipping the upcoming blu ray of Poor Things in the anticipation of a UHD release that may never come, consider that if the blu ray sales aren't strong, why would a UHD release even be considered? "Gee, Poor Things didn't sell as well as we hoped on blu ray. Hey, why don't we release it on UHD!". It's more likely that if the blu ray sales are good, then it might be an impetus for a UHD release, "Hey, Poor Things did really well on blu ray, what about a UHD release?". I say if you want the movie on UHD, support the blu ray release or you're just shooting yourself in the foot. Just my two cents.

Because, quite frankly, that's not how the industry works anymore. The studios don't analyze the sales of BDs and then make the tactical decision to release a 4k UHD because the BD sales were so strong.

I'm not some corporation's sucker. It's not my role to buy something in the faint hope that the corporation deigns me worthy enough to grace them again with a second purchase rendering my first purchase superfluous.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Apart from Nightmare Alley, I don't think any new Searchlight films have received UHD releases since the Disney merger.

white vader

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Sure. But also consider that the very premise is pretty disingenuous. I'm a big physical collector and a huge animation fan too. And I've heard this "if you want it on that format buy it on this one" - and then if you're lucky you can - pay all over again thing many times. How many times have they actually come through on that? Yeah. Marketing, baby. Based on this stuff in the past and just in general I donlt trust 'em as far as I can throw 'em.

And it's not just 4k I'm talking of - there were the "you want the blu ray buy the DVD" days too. And remember we're now in the period where 4k/UHD has achieved enough economy of scale after 8 years/nearly a decade that replication and mastering (especially considering 4k and HDR are often done for streaming) aren't a financial obstacle like they were.

As further evidenced by even boutique labels having physical 4k releases now.

So it's easy to argue in the other direction that buying the Blu is money down the drain as they can just say "we were happy with the sales of the blu-ray and feel we have adequately served the market". As justification for <i>not</i> releasing it in 4k <i>because</i> of good Blu-ray sales. As they have in the past. Or saying sales weren't good enough without any actual numbers revealed of course. Still waiting for my Porky Pig Blu after buying the hopelessly out of date at the time of release DVD. Never mind a 4k. If studios were more transparent it might be different. But they're opaque as it gets. So nope, no more likely at all imo.

My hope is also that Criterion comes to the rescue. It doesn't seem like an Arrow release. One tiny sliver for the biggest optimists is that Iger admitted they were wrong about stopping so many physical releases to force people into streaming. And actually put their money where their mouth is now with the Marvel and Star Wars physical 4k releases. Even if it wins a bunch of Oscars, Poor Things 4k seems a leap though...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Poor Things is available to purchase in 4K/Dolby Vision/ Dolby Atmos for $19.99 now on iTunes and other digital retailers. It’s also a Movies Anywhere title and will port over to your linked accounts.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Why is everything being released on March 12?

I'll probably get this at some point, but there are way too many discs earmarked for that date to get everything at once.

I agree that it's bizarre how the various studios seem to "stack" particular dates.

3/5 has pretty much nuttin' "big" that I can see, and 3/19 looks light too - why not put a couple of those 3/12 titles on those dates?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks