What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Poor Things (2023) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I'm holding off on any purchase for the time being on the off-chance that Sony might later release it on UHD.

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm holding off on any purchase for the time being on the off-chance that Sony might later release it on UHD.

I'm floored this was not announced for 4k. I am about to watch the digital today, but hear that the visual effects are amazing and it seems to be the kind of film that begs for a 4k release.

I would not be surprised if Sony, down the road, released this on 4k.

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This would've been released by Sony had it been announced after the Disney deal, am I rite?

I believe the press release for the deal (or reporting around that time) indicated that the first title that Sony will handle physical media distribution for is a 20th Studios (Fox) movie scheduled for theatrical release in April. I would take that to mean anything released in theaters before then will fall under the end of Disney’s period as it’s own distributor.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Also, I believe that Sony has very little say in what physical media format a Disney/20th Century movie gets released in.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Also, I believe that Sony has very little say in what physical media format a Disney/20th Century movie gets released in.
Nobody here knows because no one has read the agreement, and the reporting on it has been sketchy on the contract details. Deadline reported that it was a licensing arrangement, which (usually) give the licensee more control than a distributor does under a distribution agreement, but the devil is in details to which none of us are privy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Perhaps, but I don't see Disney as willing to cede control of their library to a rival studio to plunder for disc releases. Even if it was stipulated that Sony could request Disney catalog titles for release, I'd expect Disney to still hold approval/veto power over any selections.

I still think this is a case where each studio will curate their own releases, continuing much as they have been, but the actual discs will just be routed though Sony's distribution network to retailers. I don't see Sony as having the power to decide they want to release a 4K of Poor Things without a specific request from Disney to make it so.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I don't see Sony as having the power to decide they want to release a 4K of Poor Things without a specific request from Disney to make it so.
You’re describing a distribution model. Under a licensing model, it’s more likely that Sony would need to ask for permission to release a UHD of Poor Things, and Disney would then have the right to decide whether to grant permission and on what terms. The latter arrangement is more consistent with the reported purpose of the deal: Disney desires to reduce overhead associated with actively curating its catalog for physical media because the market is too small to justify the expense.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Nobody here knows because no one has read the agreement, and the reporting on it has been sketchy on the contract details. Deadline reported that it was a licensing arrangement, which (usually) give the licensee more control than a distributor does under a distribution agreement, but the devil is in details to which none of us are privy.

That’s true that we don’t yet know all of the details but there is plenty of historical precedent for how this kind of distribution arrangement generally works. This is not believed to be a licensing arrangement analogous to Kino releasing deep catalog titles for various studios; it is believed to be on par with other major studios consolidating the distribution for new release and prime catalog titles.

SDS distributes Universal and Warner content - Universal and Warner choose which titles are released.

Sony distributes Lionsgate content - Lionsgate chooses what is released.

Warner (now via SDS) distributes MGM content - MGM chooses what is released.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The difference here is in the reported legal structure of the agreements. SDS is a joint venture that operates on a distribution model, and the Sony/Lionsgate agreement is also a distribution agreement. Disney/Sony was specifically reported by Deadline to be a licensing arrangement. It’s a legally significant distinction.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching the digital

Beautifully crafted. Gorgeously lensed. Enjoyed this fable, though I could have sworn I was watching a Wes Anderson movie.

I have newly-found respect for Emma Stone who I was turned off completely in LaLa Land.

I enjoyed this film very much, though I fear it may not be for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks