What's new

Another Way Of Knowing That Your Movie Collecting Is An Obsession... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Suddenly you find yourself measuring time, not only by the days or weeks between paychecks, but by the month or two between Criterion and Twilight Time announcements. Suddenly it's the fifteenth of the next month or the first week of alternate months and you're given another half-dozen or more new releases to ponder and possibly use up much of your hard-earned money for. You spend an inordinate amount of time constantly refreshing your Criterion or HTF screen on the expected days of new release flashes as you would during the final few moments of an eBay auction, until they finally show up. And, although there are almost always one or two (or more) titles you're really excited about, you wonder (all too briefly), "What the hell am I doing?" and realize that, on your deathbed, you will be saying, "If only I could have back the time I spent obsessing about my movie collection..." (along with, of course, all the time in your life you expended trying to get buttons through buttonholes or looking endlessly for something you put down only seconds earlier or holding the phone for hours as you tried to get through to a real person or...yada yada).

As kids, time stretched to infinity, and I think that was because everything about life then was an adventure, and we drank in the endless summer days actually living our lives, so each day seemed fulfilling and complete. Sure, we were anxious for next Christmas or vacation or birthday the very day after the last one ended, but we still managed to fill in the periods of waiting for those with new experience after new experience. new memory after new memory. Somewhere along the line, and so gradually we never noticed, our attention was consumed by the mundane, and adult responsibility began to rule: paying bills, buying a house or car, raising kids, going to work, being exhausted, and, if you're like some of us here, obsessing over our movie collections and home theaters.

This is all a bit exaggerated, of course, but I'm sure, as members of this forum, you get the point in a way that few of my non-collector friends or family would be able to. Don't get me wrong -- I don't regret having this collection, as it is a natural outgrowth of my love of collecting 8mm movies as a teenager, then the quadruple-dipping on video (Wow! Whole movies without reel changes or splices or burned-out projection bulbs!) of all the titles I liked, starting with VHS, then to Laserdisc, then to DVD, always wanting to have a theater of my own. But this Blu-ray format has really brought it all to a head. I'm 65 now (and still working), and so don't care much about 4k t.v.'s or 1000" screens or 18.1 sound systems, as long as I have a little home theater where I can share my favorite movies, looking fantastic on a fairly big (55" plasma) screen, which I finally do. But my collection is disproportionate even for a "normal" collector. I own close to 2,300 Blu-rays and about 1,800 DVD's. I keep most of them in high-capacity storage cases and they don't require all that much space, but on those shelves are hundreds of movies I may never watch! I bought them because I like them or I heard good things about them, but I find myself returning to old favorites and guilty pleasures while leaving so many unviewed. Further, I check into this forum three or four times a day just to find out what else I might acquire!

Anyway, let me just sum up by saying that life is a whole lot different now than it was in the 60's. Priorities have shifted and not usually in a good way.

Still, it sure is cool to just stroll into my office any time it suits me and pull BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI or 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD from a shelf and watch it looking and sounding as good as I'm ever likely to see or hear it in my remaining lifetime. Would I trade all that in to be young again on sultry summer nights? Probably, although I have to keep in mind that childhood memories are often distorted by nostalgia and not terribly accurate -- at the time, we might not even have thought our lives were all that great. We adults tend to deny or bury a lot of the "bad" stuff from our youth. Plus, if we wanted to see a movie back then (in my generation), it would only show for 3-4 days at the local theater, and Million Dollar Movie had commercials. Then, we wanted to be older. Now, we want to be younger. People are rarely happy with their current age or with the weather.

But, when it all comes down to it, I have always and will always love movies of all genres, and having such easy and (relatively) affordable access to them is a lifetime movie aficionado's wet dream come true. Re-reading this post, I see there is a dichotomy of feelings regarding my film collecting. So be it. Life is complicated.

Damn, an essay! I started out to write a short paragraph. Collecting obsession indeed!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Dick, I know what you mean but I think you've overlooked a crucial point. People who have no interest in movies and think we are crazy have their own hobbies and are obsessive about them!

Do you know what some people spend on a fishing rod? . . . what some people spend on holidays abroad? . . . on motor vehicles?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robin9 said:
Dick, I know what you mean but I think you've overlooked a crucial point. People who have no interest in movies and think we are crazy have their own hobbies and are obsessive about them!

Do you know what some people spend on a fishing rod? . . . what some people spend on holidays abroad? . . . on motor vehicles?
Oh, yes...and coins & stamps (which are never looked at much) and comic books (which are stored in protective sleeves and never read), and on and on. I hadn't overlooked that, and it was in the back of my mind as I wrote my post. One can simply substitute whatever for "movie collector." I was commenting about the sheer craziness (and usually expense) of the whole thing. When I was a young kid, I used to collect bottle caps (you remember...the ones with the cork that had that wonderful smell) and that didn't cost me a thing except for the gathering of them along roadsides. Kinda wish I'd kept them now!

P

Patrick Donahue

Robin9 said:

This. Everybody has something. I find home theater an easy one actually because you buy things in $10-15 chunks. It's only after you add it up years later does it seem bigger than it was/is.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My earliest memory of the cinema is watching a Flash Gordon serial around 1955 (Saturday morning pictures, that'll get you hooked), & from that time I've been mad on films. And what a great time to be a film fan! I read here (I think) that having a Blu-ray was as good as owning a print, so I'm surprised I'm not buying more Blu's (esp. as they're so cheap), & who would have thought that you could get a better picture at home than you could at the cinema (if the last couple of times I've been are anything to go by). So I'd say it was a good addiction, much better than crack. I said I wouldn't buy as many Blu-rays as I did DVD's...I was wrong! And I say again: what a great time to be a film fan.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Billy Batson said:
My earliest memory of the cinema is watching a Flash Gordon serial around 1955 (Saturday morning pictures, that'll get you hooked), & from that time I've been mad on films. And what a great time to be a film fan! I read here (I think) that having a Blu-ray was as good as owning a print, so I'm surprised I'm not buying more Blu's (esp. as they're so cheap), & who would have thought that you could get a better picture at home than you could at the cinema (if the last couple of times I've been are anything to go by). So I'd say it was a good addiction, much better than crack. I said I wouldn't buy as many Blu-rays as I did DVD's...I was wrong! And I say again: what a great time to be a film fan.

They built a new multiplex near me a few years ago and advertised all the theaters have Sony 4K Digital Projectors, yet details like light from the theater entry door shining on the screen are ignored. It's just a better all around experience at home now. I did go to see the limited release of the 4K DCP of Lawrence of Arabia at another theater, and was not disappointed. I've also noticed that the blacks are very washed out on the screen at the 4K projection theater. I only go rarely now because of things like this. When you try to talk to someone at the theater about these things, they look at you like you have two heads. I imagine they hardly ever get questioned.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Billy Batson said:
I'd say it was a good addiction, much better than crack.
Oh, yes, better than using any addictive substance. Hard to kick, nonetheless.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I lurch from one obsessive form of collecting to another .. it never ceases.

DVDs and Blu rays of course are an ever-present desire .. but that's for the love of the artform as much as anything.

And I guess the same could be said for my obsessive collecting of science fiction when I was a teenager .. but my collection of Astounding Science Fiction magazines from the 1940s, 50s, and 60s aren't hidden in covers; they're still pulled from the shelves regularly to revisit old favourites by masters such as AE Van Vogt, Heinlein and Asimov. Not to mention my Galaxy magazines, or Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, or New Worlds or Nebula......

And at the moment I'm gripped by a new obsession .. collecting vintage double-edge safety razors by Gillette, both British and US, and luxuriating each morning in a shave by my choice of a Gillette Adjustable Fat Boy, or Gillette Slim, or Super Speedster Black Tip, or Red Flare tip, or British Rocket 500HD or Gillette Tech ... and anybody else who like me has discovered that the old form of shaving, with blade and brush, is still absolutely the best, will understand this obsession.

Yes, the ways of the obsessive collector are mighty strange. But my wife is exceedingly tolerant. And I don't gamble, and don't drink ,,,,, well, hardly drink. Alright, drink a bit ... or a bit too much ,..... that's another compulsion made obligatory by the excellence of great Australian red wines!

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I'm with you there Anthony... us Aussies are spoilt for good wines. My collecting extends to books (my latest fad is Folio Society editions, especially of their SF titles), and typewriters. The latter is necessarily limited by space and dollars - shipping a typewriter form OS is crazily expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks