What's new

What would you like to see from Twilight Time next? (1 Viewer)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Paul Rossen said:
The Razor's Edge...one of my favorites. Trust that either FOX or TT will eventually release it...great Newman score.
Garden of Evil would also be welcome.
*Theoretically*, TT has access to both the original 1946 Fox Studio Classic and the 1984 Columbia/TriStar/Sony remake with Bill Murray. Assuming that respectable HD masters are available, they might be able to offer an interesting Somerset Maugham-themed bill one of these months...or years.

As for Garden of Evil, unless Fox goes back to the source and restore$/remaster$, I've just about given up hope we'll ever see it...I mean, even the DVD carried a disclaimer about the iffy condition of its film elements.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Will Hay's Where's That Fire?, the only one of his films copyrighted under a major studio.

....it could happen

Perhaps more realistically we could see Twilight Time tackle the films Fox released in its film noir DVD line. So far only 3 have emerged out of the 26. Kiss of Death or House of Bamboo would look pretty sweet on blu-ray.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
My number one TT wish (from the MGM library) is The Man In The Moon, the 1991 coming-of-age gem from Robert Mulligan (To Kill A Mockingbird). The director's final film, it stars Sam Waterston, Tess Harper, and a 14-year-old Reese Witherspoon in a very impressive debut performance. Beautifully shot by the great Freddie Francis, it would make a lovely Blu.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
ROclockCK said:
*Theoretically*, TT has access to both the original 1946 Fox Studio Classic and the 1984 Columbia/TriStar/Sony remake with Bill Murray. Assuming that respectable HD masters are available, they might be able to offer an interesting Somerset Maugham-themed bill one of these months...or years.

As for Garden of Evil, unless Fox goes back to the source and restore$/remaster$, I've just about given up hope we'll ever see it...I mean, even the DVD carried a disclaimer about the iffy condition of its film elements.
I think the French GOE BD looks pretty good. I remember when the DVD came out and that disclaimer. I was ready for a horrifiying experience, but thought it looked not bad at all.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Does anyone know aything about the condition of material for PRINCE OF PLAYERS? This seems like such a natural for TT considering its cast, subject matter and music score. It would be an instant purchase for me!!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Mark Collins said:
Salome would be another great title for TT. I wonder do they have the Sony Library?
TT has a deal with Sony, but they don't have the entire Sony library. Whether Salome is a title that is available to TT is unknown.

Salome was released on DVD in the U.S. as part of the box set The Films of Rita Hayworth, currently available for $21.49 at Amazon.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I just received my BOY ON A DOLPHIN DVD from Germany. As it is a widescreen standard DVD, the image can't relay the sharpness that a blu-ray would provide, but Dear God what a drop dead gorgeous motion picture it is! Add that to one of Hugo Friedhofer's finest scores, a stunning Sophia Loren, a nefarious Clifton Webb and a unique and engaging plot and you've got a real winner. I wonder why this is not in the running for a TT release. Perhaps the elements are not in the greatest shape.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Ed Lachmann said:
I just received my BOY ON A DOLPHIN DVD from Germany. As it is a widescreen standard DVD, the image can't relay the sharpness that a blu-ray would provide, but Dear God what a drop dead gorgeous motion picture it is! Add that to one of Hugo Friedhofer's finest scores, a stunning Sophia Loren, a nefarious Clifton Webb and a unique and engaging plot and you've got a real winner. I wonder why this is not in the running for a TT release. Perhaps the elements are not in the greatest shape.
Ed, is it Anamorphic Widescreen or just Letterboxed ?
I'd certainly consider it if it's Anamorphic.

Doug.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When that awful remake with Michael Caine and Jude Law came out some years ago, I hoped the original version would get an updated video release, but it didn't even rate that. This seems to be a movie that has slipped through the cracks, and it's such a shame.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Matt Hough said:
When that awful remake with Michael Caine and Jude Law came out some years ago, I hoped the original version would get an updated video release, but it didn't even rate that. This seems to be a movie that has slipped through the cracks, and it's such a shame.
Still unique I believe, in that its entire cast was Oscar nominated*

According to the IMDb, Sleuth was a Palomar picture, which was released theatrically in N.A. by Fox, followed by at least one early home video release on VHS. Then Anchor Bay licensed it for domestic DVD in 1998, but it's been out of print almost ever since, except for a Korean import (bootleg?).

So yeah Matt...it's anyone's guess who has this baby now. I haven't seen the Anchor Bay DVD for about 3 years, but IIRC it was an RDSL dual-layer disc and it upscaled rather nicely...probably from a late-90s HD master.

2...and wasn't that a dilly of a spoiler!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Doug Bull said:
Ed, is it Anamorphic Widescreen or just Letterboxed ?
I'd certainly consider it if it's Anamorphic.

Doug.
Doug, it is 16:9-2.35:1 but it appears on my screen as a smaller image which I must zoom into to get it to have the black bands only on the top and bottom and fill the screen. Or course, this reduces the sharpness, But, yes, it is anamorphic widescreen and certainly worth it if this will be the final word on this film. I must say that it is even better than I remembered, having not seen it in decades. I'd like to throw this out to the gods of TT for contemplation. It is a one-of-a-kind gorgeous and joyful idyll with one the finest scores ever written for the screen attached to it. I would so jump on this in HD. And, that photo of Loren from it is folklore.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ed you are so right. Fox movie channel does play it from time to time. I remember when the film aired in Chicago. Friday nights on the Late Show as WGN called it would show many FOX classics when I was a kid. Grandma and I would stay up late and watch them. This film was one of these that aired.

I love this film because I remember how much my Grandma loved it. Like I have said before those were the days.

The film score I do have. You can get it from Screen Archives

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ROclockCK said:
Still unique I believe, in that its entire cast was Oscar nominated*

According to the IMDb, Sleuth was a Palomar picture, which was released theatrically in N.A. by Fox, followed by at least one early home video release on VHS. Then Anchor Bay licensed it for domestic DVD in 1998, but it's been out of print almost ever since, except for a Korean import (bootleg?).

So yeah Matt...it's anyone's guess who has this baby now. I haven't seen the Anchor Bay DVD for about 3 years, but IIRC it was an RDSL dual-layer disc and it upscaled rather nicely...probably from a late-90s HD master.

2...and wasn't that a dilly of a spoiler!
One other film had its whole cast Oscar nominated: Give 'Em Hell, Harry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks