What's new

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!! First Official News about Indiana Jones!!!!(tomorrow) (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They better not screw us with a re-release when Indy IV comes out. That would be a bunch of crap.
How would that be "screwing us"? Maybe I've got an unusually limited definition of "screwed" (having better-than-reasonable expectations of one thing and receiving another, with no redress available), but seeing as we probably won't see Indy 4 in theaters (let alone on DVD) for another three years, I imagine that I'll have gotten my money's worth from the current release by that hypothetical re-release.

Point blank, you've just got to ask yourself - are these DVDs worth what I expect to pay for them? If the answer is "yes", then why are you complaining?

AlexBC

Second Unit
Personally I don't care about most of the extras (just trailers, deleted scenes and music videos) and I seldom do watch them. But the quality of the movie it's all that drives me. So I'm 100% thrilled by this release, just a small drawback is for the lack of DTS, but I can live with that.

Even for those who are exited about the extras, I think many people have stated this valid point before me, you can't expect it to Lord of The Rings or Pearl Harbor mega discs sets. This movies were done with the DVD release in mind, and most of what who's got time to watch all those 20 hours of extra features many times over and over again.

So for me as long as top notch audio and video is delivered, that's all I want, and specially for such low price. I wold pay twice the set price each barebones DVD individually. (Remember those not so long LDs days, good releases costed much more)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I'm ok with this set. I don't have dts, so I'm not at all concerned about that being absent. There's also a question of how much difference a dts track would make on a title this old, if the original elements are lower quality then what DD can put out, you're not gonna see any improvements with dts.

As for the extras, I find it a lot harder to get worked up over them anymore. They either need to be really exhaustive or really unique to get me to care anymore. I mean, after sets like Pearl Harbor Vista, Fellowhship EE, and similar sets, what's left? There's only so many times you can show the optical compositing of special effects. Give me something that talks about these movies uniquely, the characters, the genesis from James Bond, that sort of thing, and I'm happy. I've seen everything else.

Gregory E

Second Unit
I heard only the Full Screen set will have DTS.

Just kidding. :D

I'm very glad to finally get these on DVD. I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by the specs as Bill said. And if the only reason is to release better special editions later I'll be p*ssed. I guess only time will tell. But really, as long as the video quality is top notch and the Dolby Digital track is good, I'll be happy to buy this set for $50 (or under?).

Anyone else interested in seeing the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles released in a single season DVD box set? I remember watching the show when it first came out and it was pretty good. Maybe this release will result in a DVD set of the show coming out.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Excellent...excellent news:cool: I have no other words except, November 4th is a long way away:frowning: but, it is better than November 4th 2004 :)

Peace Out~:D

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
Chalk me up for being excited to get these films on dvd. No dts is no big deal and the extras (or lack thereof) do not even factor into the equation. I just want an excellent transfer and decent dd track. Kudos to Paramount on this one! Thanks.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Out of respect for the good relationship I and this forum have had with the studio, I am removing my comments. Please do not keep them alive any further.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
No DTS means to me that there will be more bits available for a better quality picture. That's fine with me.

Neil

Joel C

Screenwriter
I've never seen "Indiana Jones and the Bonus Material." Is it as good as the other three?

Galen_V

Second Unit
This is great news indeed! I can't wait until November 4th.

Speaking of November 4th, do you think the timing of this release date has anything to do with the release of arguably Warner Brother's biggest movie of all time time, The Matrix Revolutions? After all, it is coming out on November 5, and Paramount could have moved the release date closer to Thanksgiving. But I am not complaining. :)

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else interested in seeing the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles released in a single season DVD box set? I remember watching the show when it first came out and it was pretty good. Maybe this release will result in a DVD set of the show coming out.
Sean, yes, I bought the 12 episodes that came out on VHS back in '99 and thoroughly enjoyed them. All together the Young Indy series contained 22 ~90 minute "double" episodes. Meaning that they were originally broadcast in one hour (45-minute) showings and then edited back together into a 2-hour movie.

I can picture this series being released in a 12-disc set. I can see 11 discs of 2 episodes each with a DD 5.1 track and possibly a DD 2.0, with a 12th disc of extras.

---------------------

Now as for this movie trilogy set, let's be honest folks. Being that none of these films are newer than 1989 a full 4 years before Dolby Digital tracks were widely used, a DTS track would be next to meaningless. Hell, The Last of the Mohicans which came out in 1992 was mastered in a Dolby Stereo mix, not even a Surround Mix. So just how much more fidelity would a DTS track give these '80s movies anyway?

Also the lack of commentaries is disappointing, yes, but let's be honest. They're Speilberg flicks. Minority Report didn't have a commentary track and it really didn't need one because the extras were more than adequate to describe the film. If this so-called 3-hour bonus disc does have the content that they're claiming, I'm sure it'll be adequate enough to fill in for commentaries.

And about the supposed price of ~$50. If I'm a betting man, I'd say DeepDiscount will have this set for $39.99 at least if not less. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a $34.99 price.

Now I've enjoyed these films as much as anybody, but let's face it folks, I'm betting most of us have seen these movies almost as often as the Star Wars OT, so finally getting this set to me feels like just a way to have it again to view in our own convenience. Because I too bought the '99 THX VHS widescreen set and to be honest, by then, the novelty of watching the films wore off. ie. They weren't as exciting and new as they used to be.

However with that being said, it'll still be great to have these films on DVD with an all new restored picture and in DD 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.