What's new

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!! First Official News about Indiana Jones!!!!(tomorrow) (1 Viewer)

david*mt

Second Unit
All this waiting and no DTS or a commentary? Thats sucks, but I will probably still buy it. Is anything being included on the first 3 disks besides the movies themselves? Becuase if not, then there is no reason for the lack of DTS or commentaries. So much for that Spielberg/Ford/Lucas commentary I was hoping for. This is Paramount, however, so I'm not suprised.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well, no DTS is a minor disappointment to me, but other than that I'm thrilled to finally see these come out on DVD. While I too would like to see more special features for each film, I do have to admit that I don't watch the special stuff all that often... so it's not a huge deal.

Remastered, OAR with 5.1? I'm SO there. Setting aside my Indy-money right now! :D

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
There was no DTS when I saw these in the theater, I don't expect them to phony up a DTS track for home viewing.

I can't believe some people are whining about the title. IT'S JUST A TITLE, FOLKS. Take a chill pill and get over it. If you let a tiny thing like that ruin your day, I'd hate to be around you when you have a REAL problem.

So is $50 the MSRP, or the price they expect it to shelve for at places like Best Buy, etc? If it's $50 MSRP, then we'll probably see $35 shelf price.

greg_t

Screenwriter

There was no Dolby Digital 5.1 in the theaters either when you saw it, so why bother then with the Dolby Digital 5.1? Dolby 5.1 is not the standard and is not mandated to be included in dvd releases. They could have used the Dolby 2.0 and met the standard. So Dolby 5.1 has no more significance than DTS at that point.

I'm disappointed by the lack of DTS, but that won't stop me from buying the set. I'll be thrilled to see them in anamaphoric widescreen. I just hope the Dolby 5.1 is up to par with the PCM Laserdisc tracks. I'll be comparing it them to my laserdiscs audio, and hope they compare favorably.

I also agree about the uproar over the title. As long as the film itself isn't changed, who cares what the box says. Getting all worked up about what the box says is going overboard in my opinion. Same goes with not having DTS. DTS would have been nice and a welcome addition, but by no means should it be a buying make or break decision.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
At $12-13 a film, I won't go crazy when they upgrade in 2005 (IF, sorry). I'll have some of my favorites cheap. I wish there was more content, but the film is enough. A bit underwhelming, given the long wait, but at that price, I won't complain. It'll have to be some special extras for a double dip, though. I am very excited :)

Take care,
Chuck

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I can't believe some people are whining about the title. IT'S JUST A TITLE, FOLKS. Take a chill pill and get over it. If you let a tiny thing like that ruin your day, I'd hate to be around you when you have a REAL problem.
I agree--if it's changed on the packaging. That's no big deal to me. But I'd hope they would leave the title on the film itself alone. We went through this "controversy" here in 1999, when the remastered VHS versions came out, and they left the film itself alone, so I have a tendency to think they'll leave it alone here, too.

Interesting that they changed Raiders to Indiana Jones and the Raiders. . . to keep some continuity--so the two others wouldn't be with the I's and Raiders would be alone with the Rs in stores. But now, since the DVDs will only be available in the box set, the separate alphabetizing issue is now rendered moot, but yet they still kept the IJATROTL title. . .

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
How many times has Paramount re-released or double-dipped a DVD?
I'm not talking just about Paramount. I'm talking about all studios in general. Just because one of them hasn't done it yet doesn't mean they won't start.

All I'm saying is I'm not going to get my hopes up for a perfect release until I actually see it or read reviews.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, at an MSRP of $50 (street at probably under $40) I am just glad to have these three movies. I love the fact that people have been spoiled by all the "Special Edition" DVDs that are out now. It seems like a great transfer of a great movie is not enough anymore, and I don't think that's right.

Hell, I'd quickly pony up this amount for JUST THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY - no CGI enhanced SE, no commentary, no fluff pieces, just the frickin' movies. That's all I want. As far as I'm concerned, Paramount has done right by me. I don't begrudge extras if they're included, but I sure won't criticize someone for not putting "extras" on there - that is why they are called "extras" and not "requirements"!

Thank you Paramount!

An Addendum: I now own over 400 DVDs and I can't remember the last one I went through all, or even most, or actually even SOME of the extra features. I am actually of the opinion that a lot of these "extras" are overrated. If a studio gives me a top-notch transfer, that's great! As for no DTS, was there even DTS around when Indy was in the theaters?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm just happy it's finally coming out! That's three less laserdiscs and 5 less side flips I have to do in my life. Anything else is just gravy.

Mike

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have written this many times - and I will say it again - Lucas is calling the final shot on this which is why I knew there would be no DTS. But, I don't really mind...Dolby Digital will be just as perfect for these. I cannot wait to read the reviews for this one -- too bad they are probably 5 1/2 months away.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, the discs with the films themselves are barebones, meaning we'll get excellent quality. One disc of extras is, frankly, quite enough for me at the time being, though others may well feel differently (besides, we all knew they wouldn't have commentaries anyway, being Spielberg films). And Paramount isn't to blame if they are re-released in full-blown 2-disc sets - it's entirely Lucasfilm's call.

To be honest, with films like these, I only want enough supplements to satisfy my curiosity, not to ruin the magic (and these films have bucketloads of that!)

The set looks great - I can't wait!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Not to throw a damp towel on what has obviously got a lot of people excited around here... but isn't anyone else a little bit disappointed by 3 movie only discs and 3 hours of featurettes, without even a DTS track? After more than 6 years of waiting?

It will be great to have these films on DVD and all, but this doesn't bode terribly well for the remaining Lucasfilm trilogy. If this box had come out a couple of years ago, it might have been impressive. But alongside stuff like the 4-disc Fellowship of the Rings and even older titles like the Ultimate Toy Box, this looks pretty weak to some of us at The Bits.

Just some thoughts... discuss.
First of all I'm glad to see the films coming out finally, & supposedly at a reasonable price. Thanks Paramount. Perhaps we should be happy that we're getting any extras at all. After all Paramount has stated before that they don't spend mucho $$$$$$ on extras for catalog titles, which the Indy films are. But perhaps they figured that the Indy fans would tear down the Pramount lot if there were absolutely no extras. The point that Bill makes about "Fellowship of the Rings" & "Ultimate Toy Box" & their extras is a valid point & should put Paramount to shame for not really loading up on the extras. Just my 1.5¢ worth. In any case I'll be buying, but I'll not be 100% pleased, only about 80%.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Carlo, I agree with you about 'extras', more often than not, I do not watch them. When I do, it is usually deleted scenes or alternate endings, and every once in a while I'll watch a 'making of' reel. But give me a great transfer in anamorphic OAR and I'm happy. Now if we could just get Star Wars OT like that.

On DTS, I see so many threads and comments about how this movie isn't in DTS or this movie's DTS track is screwed up. Makes me glad I never jumped on the DTS bandwagon.

Bill Hunt

Insider
I too will be very happy to finally have the films on DVD. But I'll bet my left arm that the plan is to release better 2-disc SEs of these films when Indy 4 comes out, as Paramount did with the Star Trek movies. And those will have DTS. To me the whole "bandwidth" issue is a little disingenuous. No excuse for not at least having at least DTS... other than a desire by Paramount to save it for a future release. My point in all of this is that if they'd released a basic movie-only set a couple of years ago, no problem. That's what we've been asking for with the Star Wars films for years now. But in May 2003, the bar is just so much higher with DVD. With films as important as these, I just wish someone had tossed the hat over the wall and TRIED to make this a more special set. As of now, the only thing I'm really excited about here is seeing the restoration quality. But that's something at least...

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
They better not screw us with a re-release when Indy IV comes out. That would be a bunch of crap. They seem to be "doing it right" this time, I guess except for DTS, but honestly, they are older films, DTS can't be that much of a benefit.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I hope Trey Parker & Matt Stone were wrong....."You Don't Understand, we're just making it better!
No Dude, your not!"

Now all the characters have been replaced by Ewoks.

Just kidding, I will look forward to this box set and whatever the Mount/Lucasfilm see fit to extra it up with.

Users who are viewing this thread