What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’ve done a little research prior to pre-ordering, and I see Best Buy had a Steelbook. But it’s sold out. Oh well, again, I guess Best Buy didn’t want to have excess stock so close to their end of selling physical media.

History repeats itself. I waited for release day to order THE EXORCIST SteelBook and BestBuy was sold out days before that date.

You are exactly right in saying they don't want excess on their hands so anything they offer is extremely limited.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
IIRC, most of their steelbook releases over the past several years have had the same problem, not enough supply to meet the demand, so this is not something entirely new.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I’ve done a little research prior to pre-ordering, and I see Best Buy had a Steelbook. But it’s sold out. Oh well, again, I guess Best Buy didn’t want to have excess stock so close to their end of selling physical media.

I don't think it has anything to do with having excess stock when they're about to abandon physical media. This has been an issue for quite some time. While I'm happy to get their exclusive SBs when I can, I'm resigned to not getting some of them. Since there will be no more of them in the not too distant future, I suppose it's a way to wean myself off of them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They may have reserved a few for in-store. If you're near a store you could check around release day.

I'll be near a store on Wednesday and may check.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the steel books are meant to be limited editions where demand exceeds supply, and it’s done that way intentionally to ensure that they do sell out and retain value for collectors. If they were open-ended print runs, demand would decrease.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I guess Best Buy didn’t want to have excess stock so close to their end of selling physical media.
Best Buy steelbooks generally sell out quickly even before they announced their intention to exit the business. You've got to jump on those early if you want to be sure you get them.

I don't particularly care for the artwork on the Dial steelbook, so I don't need that version. But if you want it, you could check back late Monday night/Tuesday morning to see if your local store gets any more in stock for store pickup on the release date, but don't delay. My store has usually been getting in only two or three copies lately, and they go quickly for popular titles.

Dial of Destiny might actually have the distinction of being the final Best Buy steelbook. I don't know of any other major upcoming releases where Best Buy is getting that. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes steelbook which would probably normally go to Best Buy is being redirected to Walmart instead.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I did some searching on eBay and there are a few steelbooks for sale already! The auction shows pictures of the actual Steelcase. Then I see some auctions for selling the Steelcase open so the seller can get the digital code.

Thanks for the suggestions of trying the stores on release day.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I did some searching on eBay and there are a few steelbooks for sale already!
That always happens. None of this is new. Sellers buy multiple copies and put them up as pre-orders. Most hope to make money on it by selling it for more than Best Buy sold it to them. I don't like giving them the satisfaction, but this is normal eBay seller behavior.

You simply can't sleep on the steelbook pre-orders from the stores and be guaranteed to get one. Ever. It's not pleasant when you miss one, but that's just how it goes.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
You simply can't sleep on the steelbooks pre-orders and be guaranteed to get one. Ever. It's not pleasant when you miss one, but that's just how it goes.

Not really. While I certainly have missed out on some, I've managed to get the majority of the ones I want without needing to order them all that much in advance. I've actually gotten most of them in-store on release day (or day after).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've actually gotten most of them in-store on release day (or day after).
You've either been very lucky or patterns at your store work differently than mine. With my local store only getting a few copies each, they tend to go rather quickly if it is a popular title. YMMV of course.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jake, the part that surprised me was the seller actually had a copy before it has been released, maybe he has a buddy at Best Buy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Maybe it just showed up early in that seller's mail? They send out in advance in order to deliver around street date, but that sort of thing has been known to happen from time to time. I got Lightyear in the mail a day early last year just because it happened to take less time than expected to arrive from Best Buy's warehouse to my house.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it just showed up early in that seller's mail? They send out in advance in order to deliver around street date, but that sort of thing has been known to happen from time to time. I got Lightyear in the mail a day early last year just because it happened to take less time than expected to arrive from Best Buy's warehouse to my house.
That’s true and possible. There’s 2 seller’s with early copies.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
In the case of Dial of Destiny specifically, I'm pretty sure the SteelBook was only available for sale on the web site for about 1.5 minutes in the middle of the night before the scalper bots scooped them all up. You'll see them listed on eBay shortly for $150-200.

As for in-store copies, my local Best Buy has completely given up on physical media. Not even an endcap. So, that's not an option here.

I would've liked this for completist sake. As is, I'll probably just have to hope it gets reissued through some other retail channel later.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
You've either been very lucky or patterns at your store work differently than mine. With my local store only getting a few copies each, they tend to go rather quickly if it is a popular title. YMMV of course.

Depends on the store. The BB in town here is useless, and it's a crap shoot for any of the exclusive SBs to show up there. The next closest BB is about a half-hour away. It's an anchor store in the Mall of New Hampshire, and is far more likely to have these in-store. At least for a day or two.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As for in-store copies, my local Best Buy has completely given up on physical media. Not even an endcap.
It seems like your store is just ahead of the curve, then.

I would've liked this for completist sake.
I get what you're saying here just in terms of packaging style, but the steelbook art that Disney put together for Dial of Destiny doesn't seem to match Paramount's steelbooks for the other films anyway. So even for those who got it, it won't be a uniform set. (Trying to provide a silver lining here for you missing it.)

In the case of Dial of Destiny specifically, I'm pretty sure the SteelBook was only available for sale on the web site for about 1.5 minutes in the middle of the night before the scalper bots scooped them all up. You'll see them listed on eBay shortly for $150-200.
The funny thing to me about this is that I think the steelbook art for Dial of Destiny is really generic and boring. I guess the resellers figure it will be popular with the collector crowd because it is Indiana Jones, and maybe they're right. But it seems much less important to me personally than other steelbooks with more attractive and distinctive artwork.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'll be near a store on Wednesday and may check.
Thanks for the suggestions of trying the stores on release day.
I would've liked this for completist sake.
History repeats itself. I waited for release day to order THE EXORCIST SteelBook and BestBuy was sold out days before that date.
Anyone who still wants the steelbook should check Best Buy's website as soon as possible. As I write this, it is in stock for shipping -- delivery by December 12 -- and, at least at my local store, for store pickup. Obviously, there is no guarantee as thaw long it will stay in stock.

@Malcolm R @Nelson Au @JoshZ @Ronald Epstein

Good luck.

Since there will be no more of them in the not too distant future, I suppose it's a way to wean myself off of them.
There will absolutely be more steelbooks as long as the studios want to release them. They just won't be sold at Best Buy anymore. The studios will simply redirect the supply to other stores instead of Best Buy. For example, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes will have its steelbook exclusively at Walmart, which already put it up for pre-order.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can purchase the Steelbook at my local BB or have it shipped to me by December 7th. However, I’m not a fan of that $41.99 purchase price for a blind buy.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who still wants the steelbook should check Best Buy's website as soon as possible. As I write this, it is in stock for shipping -- delivery by December 12 -- and, at least at my local store, for store pickup. Obviously, there is no guarantee as thaw long it will stay in stock.

@Malcolm R @Nelson Au @JoshZ @Ronald Epstein

Good luck.

There will absolutely be more steelbooks as long as the studios want to release them. They just won't be sold at Best Buy anymore. The studios will simply redirect the supply to other stores instead of Best Buy. For example, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes will have its steelbook exclusively at Walmart, which already put it up for pre-order.
Thanks for the heads-up Jake. I was going to check there, but your reminder was good to add to the urgency.

Using the Best Buy app, there were no copies available to order online, however it said to check out local stores. I found a store a bit farther than my usual store, but it can work as it’s on the way to work. And I may have to go in today or tomorrow. So I ordered it for pick-up at that store! Thanks for the heads up again! Unless something goes wrong, it looks like I was able to get a Steelbook!

Robert, I can understand your reluctance, this is a blind buy for me too. But I’m a fan of the Indiana Jones franchise and I like collecting Steelbooks of titles that I like, so the extra cost for the metal case is what I’m paying for. Whether the art is good or not, that’s another consideration.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Spot check of stores nearest me on BB web site shows the steelbook available for in-store pick-up, but no delivery options here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks