What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Indy’s final adventure, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, has arrived on 4K UHD physical media with a nice added bonus.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

Released: 30 Jun 2023
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 154 min

Director: James Mangold
Genre: Action, Adventure

Cast: Harrison Ford, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Antonio Banderas
Writer(s): Jez Butterworth, John-Henry Butterworth, David Koepp

Plot: Archaeologist Indiana Jones races against time to retrieve a legendary artifact that can change the course of history.

IMDB rating: 6.8
MetaScore: 58

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio:...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to hear this one turned out well on disc. I enjoyed it a lot in the theater and I’m happy it’s finally getting its due on disc.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Indy 5 is longer than it needs to be (My inner armchair-editor could list at least 3 sequences to cut or trim for time and pacing), but on the whole it was much better than I was expecting. Definitely one of the top-5 movies in this franchise.

Sounds like a good disc--and I'll pick it up eventually--but I already have the digital version, and there are so many other big releases coming soon. Indy will just have to wait.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I think it fell victim to the "Mission: Impossible" disease of not knowing when to trim sequences. I like it the way it is but could see some trimming here and there for sure. I would place it third as well although Crystal Skull would be last for me.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Maybe it's the power of low expectations, but I also enjoyed this one a lot on Disney+. Mangold actually does a pretty good job of capturing the tone and spirit of the earlier films, even if the set pieces lack Spielberg's mastery. The third act, in particular, is a lot of fun, and Ford gives a real performance here. Williams' score also highlights why he's the best of all time. I agree with everyone above that the film is 20 minutes too long. A few chase sequences are interminable and get bogged down in physics-defying CG nonsense. Overall, though, the film is a marked step-up from Crystal Skull.

The film looked phenomenal on Disney+, and I'm sure it looks even better on disc. The sound was typical Disney dynamically compressed Atmos.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have amended my review since the Score-Only track is now included as a special feature on the digital version on Movies Anywhere.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have just about all the John Williams scores in my cd collection. Unfortunately the latest Indy movie (Dial of Destiny) cd was only available briefly and I missed it. I bought the Blu ray of the movie, which has an isolated score. I thought I could make my own CD, forgetting that my year old computer can’t play Blu rays!
The library has the DVD version, which I put on hold, but I can’t find anywhere that gives the specs of the DVD only. Does anyone know if it also has the music only track?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have just about all the John Williams scores in my cd collection. Unfortunately the latest Indy movie (Dial of Destiny) cd was only available briefly and I missed it. I bought the Blu ray of the movie, which has an isolated score. I thought I could make my own CD, forgetting that my year old computer can’t play Blu rays!
The library has the DVD version, which I put on hold, but I can’t find anywhere that gives the specs of the DVD only. Does anyone know if it also has the music only track?
It does not. There are no special features on the DVD, only on the blu-ray (or the digital version, apparently).

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I bought the Blu ray of the movie, which has an isolated score. I thought I could make my own CD, forgetting that my year old computer can’t play Blu rays!

You could buy a Blu-ray drive for the computer.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

You could buy a Blu-ray drive for the computer.
That would require some way to re-encode the DD+ 7.1 track into two-channel PCM.

Sadly, both iTunes and Amazon Music only sell the digital download in lossy format, and the hi-res download stores only offer it in CD-quality (44.4kHz PCM).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not sure if this helps you, but the vinyl version is still available, as is the Complete Indiana Jones CD Collection. Disney Music Emporium

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Qobuzz has it as a CD-quality download for $18.09.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks