What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Ke Huy Quan had not been acting for a long time prior to Everything Everywhere All At Once. He did say in some interview during his awards run this year that Spielberg still sends him Christmas cards, so they were sort of tangentially in touch. However, I'm not sure if anybody really thought of bringing him back or not. I agree that I would have liked him to be there. If this film was made now, post-Everything Everywhere All At Once, he probably would have been. But I'm sure they had to have wrapped on this before that film came out and deservedly brought him back into the spotlight.

I am also going to wait for the physical release to buy this.
I think Indy 5 went into production long before EEAAO, and at that time, Ke Huay Quan had retired from acting, working as a stunt coordinator and second unit director.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure Brian was suggesting that Short Round had to appear in the film, but at least a reference/mention of the character would have been nice in the "finale" of the franchise, especially if it seemed to easily tie-in to an existing exchange between characters.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm not sure Brian was suggesting that Short Round had to appear in the film, but at least a reference/mention of the character would have been nice in the "finale" of the franchise, especially if it seemed to easily tie-in to an existing exchange between characters.
Exactly this. There is even a moment in Indy 5 where Indy specifically references incidents from Temple of Doom, so the opportunity for a Short Round shout-out was right there.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Even Mutt was mentioned, which explained a lot about where Indy was emotionally and why he and Marion were currently separated.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Enjoyed it in the theater and will buy it and add it to my collection once it is on 4K bluray.

IMG_2719aa.jpg

Indiana Jones 4K set.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Even Mutt was mentioned
They had to mention Mutt. It would have been sloppy storytelling not to do that. He was too significant to the previous movie to ignore. He is Indy's son, and the movie ended with his parents being married. He didn't have to be in this movie, but they had to account for why he wasn't. Indy hasn't seen Short Round since 1935 and is not related to him. Therefore, it was technically okay for them not to mention Short Round. But Mutt never being mentioned again would just be too weird given what his character was in Crystal Skull.

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
I really wanted to like the movie more than I did. Seemed like the chase scene with the Indian scooters was far too long. The time travel aspect was okay, but wish it had been explored more. In my opinion the first and third movies were the best, esp Crusade, and maybe they should have ended with that one. Seems like what we have here is a rehash of old ideas, time for new stuff on film, but please, no more comic book stuff! I liked Oppie,, more intelligent talkies.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Most people in its target demo (decidedly older) just didn't get around to seeing it. ... It's a shame, because it's a lot of fun and delivers in its genre.
True, I went to see it with my son and his family. The grandkids really enjoyed it and they did not know that much about the previous films..(the last film was in 2008).

But the theater was remarkably empty.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm probably in the target demo, as the original trilogy was mostly released during my teen years and I remember seeing both Temple of Doom and Last Crusade in theaters (maybe Raiders, too, but it's a little fuzzy that far back). But I really have little interest in the latest film. I saw Crystal Skull in theaters and it was OK, but I've never been a fan of "old" Indy and he's even 15 years older in this new film. Not for me.

I like my heroes to be "ageless" and thought they should have recast in 2008, and most definitely by 2023.

I'll see it eventually, but will likely wait until the disc is released and on sale.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Movies Anywhere has just added the Score-Only track as a special feature which was believed to be a disc exclusive.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Finally watched this on Disney+. If I were to rank the 5 films now, it would be as follows:
Raiders A+
Temple of Doom A-
Dial of Destiny B+
Crystal Skull C
Last Crusade D [yes, I have serious problems with this one]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks