What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Harrison Ford dons the trademark fedora, whip and leather jacket one last time in Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, now available on PVOD.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

Released: 30 Jun 2023
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 154 min

Director: James Mangold
Genre: Action, Adventure

Cast: Harrison Ford, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Antonio Banderas
Writer(s): Jez Butterworth, John-Henry Butterworth, David Koepp

Plot: Archaeologist Indiana Jones races against time to retrieve a legendary artifact that can change the course of history.

IMDB rating: 6.8
MetaScore: 58

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1...

Continue reading...

Saul Pincus

Auditioning
Real Name
Saul Pincus
I don't feel that it was ignored. It just couldn't profit based on its crazy budget.

I enjoyed it and look forward to getting the blu ray.
I disagree. Most people in its target demo (decidedly older) just didn't get around to seeing it. Why do I say this? Because I literally know dozens who should have, but weren't compelled to. It's a shame, because it's a lot of fun and delivers in its genre.

I too look forward to the physical release!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think "ignored" is a fair assessment of an Indiana Jones pic that is the second-lowest grossing of the franchise (only Temple of Doom has a lower worldwide total). And considering tix are considerably more expensive today than 35+ years ago, it's likely Dial of Destiny sold considerably fewer tix than any other IJ film.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think "ignored" is a fair assessment of an Indiana Jones pic that is the second-lowest grossing of the franchise (only Temple of Doom has a lower worldwide total). And considering tix are considerably more expensive today than 35+ years ago, it's likely Dial of Destiny sold considerably fewer tix than any other IJ film.
The lukewarm reception to the film after its world premiere at Cannes one month before its theatrical release did not help.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Let's talk about the target aufience for this movie: Boomers and Gen X, neither of which have much interest in going to movie theatres on opening weekend, especially post-COVID. Don't get me wrong; I love seeing movies on a big screen, but I can do without the opening weekend headaches and snot-nosed brats kicking the back of my seat [to cite one recent multiplex experience]. LFL appears to have a Harrison Ford-related problem, as evidenced by the budget on this and Solo: A Star Wars Story.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't think they did the movie any favors by waiting until the end of June to release it, particularly after the post-Cannes-premiere word of mouth was less-than-rapturous . Also, outside of the die-hard Indy fans, after 'Crystal Skull' I feel like there weren't a whole lot of people asking for another Indiana Jones movie. Spielberg stepping aside as director probably didn't do much to build anticipation either.

All that said, I enjoyed the movie a whole lot more than I expected to. It's too long and a lot of it looks like it was shot in front of a green screen, but it's entertaining and held my interest (two things I can't say for 'Crystal Skull').

If I were ranking the movies, it would be #4. If I were grading them: Raiders: A+ Temple of Doom: A- Last Crusade: B+ Dial of Destiny: B- Crystal Skull: D (Yes, I'm one of the weirdos who liked Temple of Doom more than Last Crusade)

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If I were ranking the movies, it would be #4. If I were grading them: Raiders: A+ Temple of Doom: A- Last Crusade: B+ Dial of Destiny: B Crystal Skull: D (Yes, I'm one of the weirdos who liked Temple of Doom more than Last Crusade)
So am I.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Why do I say this? Because I literally know dozens who should have, but weren't compelled to
Anecdotal evidence is rarely reliable. It wasn’t ignored nor was it a hit. It was just…..there. And it lost a ton of money unfortunately.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I think I want to like The Last Crusade more than I actually like The Last Crusade. It seemed like a more "proper" outing than The Temple of Doom, whatever the hell that was supposed to be.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would like Last Crusade more if it didn't feel like a retreat after Temple of Doom. Temple of Doom is very true to the old serials that inspired the Indiana Jones films. Some of it doesn't play as well now [the banquet scene, for example], but would not have ruffled feathers in the 30s or even the 50s for that matter.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
A missed opportunity in the new movie, I thought, was to finally explain what became of Short Round. There's a new character, who is obviously supposed to be this movie's Short Round, but even after Phoebe Waller-Bridge explains to Indy how she met New Short Round, and the story is almost identical to how Indy met OG Short Round, Indy doesn't say, "Hey, that reminds me of my old sidekick in 1935! What ever happened to that kid, anyway?"

Saul Pincus

Auditioning
Real Name
Saul Pincus
Anecdotal evidence is rarely reliable. It wasn’t ignored nor was it a hit. It was just…..there. And it lost a ton of money unfortunately.
Politely agree to disagree here. I've been in the business for decades and have a decent sense of these things.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would like Last Crusade more if it didn't feel like a retreat after Temple of Doom. Temple of Doom is very true to the old serials that inspired the Indiana Jones films. Some of it doesn't play as well now [the banquet scene, for example], but would not have ruffled feathers in the 30s or even the 50s for that matter.

When I finally saw “Gunga Din” during a Cary Grant binge years ago, my first thought was, “holy crap, so this is what Temple of Doom was borrowing from”.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A missed opportunity in the new movie, I thought, was to finally explain what became of Short Round.
Ke Huy Quan had not been acting for a long time prior to Everything Everywhere All At Once. He did say in some interview during his awards run this year that Spielberg still sends him Christmas cards, so they were sort of tangentially in touch. However, I'm not sure if anybody really thought of bringing him back or not. I agree that I would have liked him to be there. If this film was made now, post-Everything Everywhere All At Once, he probably would have been. But I'm sure they had to have wrapped on this before that film came out and deservedly brought him back into the spotlight.

I am also going to wait for the physical release to buy this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks