What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
James Cameron’s The Abyss finally makes its 4K streaming debut on PVOD platforms, with a physical media release set for March 2024.

The Abyss (1989)

Released: 09 Aug 1989
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 140 min

Director: James Cameron
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Mystery

Cast: Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Michael Biehn
Writer(s): James Cameron

Plot: A civilian diving team is enlisted to search for a lost nuclear submarine and faces danger while encountering an alien aquatic species.

IMDB rating: 7.5
MetaScore: 62

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio: Dolby Atmos...

Continue reading...

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the review. One correction: "Under Pressure: The Making of The Abyss" first appeared on the 1992 laserdisc, not the 2000 DVD.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
What a GIGANTIC stinking pile of confusing mish-mash Cameron and 20th Century Fox have foisted upon us with this digital release! I jumped at the chance to own 'The Abyss' in 4K via iTunes, only to discover/realize (moments after making the purchase) that I was getting the theatrical version only. I immediately requested a refund from Apple (6 days ago now) and I have not received a reply. I have not watched the stream, not even for a brief moment. In my Apple account it still shows as a "pending" purchase, which is probably why I haven't received a refund.

Do I have to actually WATCH it before I can request a refund? Dumb, if true.

At any rate, I'm waiting for the 4K Blu-ray. If the SE version isn't available on the 4K Blu-ray in 4K (in at least HDR10, if not Dolby Vision), I will NOT be buying the 4K Blu-ray either.

Somebody, be it Cameron or a twit at 20th Century Fox, really screwed the pooch on this one.

Mark

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Thanks for giving your assessment of quality from various streaming providers. My enthusiasm is blunted (after waiting 30 years for a quality presentation) by the discovery The Abyss cannot be rented, only purchased. When will it be available to rent from ATV+?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for giving your assessment of quality from various streaming providers. My enthusiasm is blunted (after waiting 30 years for a quality presentation) by the discovery The Abyss cannot be rented, only purchased. When will it be available to rent from ATV+?
This is pretty bizarre, as the 4K digital release of Aliens can be rented from Apple for $3.99. I'll tell ya, this whole situation with Cameron's three new streaming 4K titles has been nothing more than one huge cluster f*ck.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This is pretty bizarre, as the 4K digital release of Aliens can be rented from Apple for $3.99. I'll tell ya, this whole situation with Cameron's three new streaming 4K titles has been nothing more than one huge cluster f*ck.
I think the difference is that Aliens has long been available for rent and purchase, while the others haven’t and are considered “new” releases. They’ll probably be available for rent in a month or two.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think the difference is that Aliens has long been available for rent and purchase, while the others haven’t and are considered “new” releases. They’ll probably be available for rent in a month or two.
Yeah, that's more than likely what's going on here.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I jumped at the chance to own 'The Abyss' in 4K via iTunes, only to discover/realize (moments after making the purchase) that I was getting the theatrical version only. I immediately requested a refund from Apple (6 days ago now) and I have not received a reply.
Slow down. Yes, the release could have been handled better, but "The Abyss" is a Movies Anywhere title. I bought it from Apple shortly after it became available and yes, it was only the theatrical cut without any extras. However, it ported over to MA and Vudu and all of the extras were on those platforms. And then a day or two later, Apple had all of these extras and more.

Now it's baffling that the "Special Edition" is only HD and 5.1 on all of the Movies Anywhere vendors but I'm hoping that is rectified.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Apple *finally* pushed through the payment for 'The Abyss' digital and the moment I was notified of the charge, I was able to go to Apple's request a refund site and ask for a refund. I'll supposedly know their answer within 48 hours.

However... my previous attempt to contact Apple customer service about this issue also indicated I'd receive their reply within 48 hours and none has been forthcoming.

I took a few minutes to use Disney's web form to politely complain about what a mess they've created with the digital release of this title.

Mark

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Your review says the Special Edition isn’t available in 4K. But isn’t it also available, but sold exclusively by Amazon? Does anyone know the story here, why it’s an exclusive release?

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/abyss-2023-digital-uhd

I want to chalk that up as an Amazon screw up, much like they did with changing everyone's UHD theatrical audio version of Avatar: The Way of Water to the HD Family Friendly Audio version a few months back (and selling that version individually) when the studio's directive was to include that version as a special feature instead. Took several escalations to Executive Customer Relations at Amazon to get that straightened out. Although Amazon claims it was fixed for everyone, I have a few friends who still have that version in their Prime Video library instead of the theatrical. And Amazon is still selling that Family Friendly audio version...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I want to chalk that up as an Amazon screw up, much like they did with changing everyone's UHD theatrical audio version of Avatar: The Way of Water to the HD Family Friendly Audio version a few months back (and selling that version individually) when the studio's directive was to include that version as a special feature instead. Took several escalations to Executive Customer Relations at Amazon to get that straightened out. Although Amazon claims it was fixed for everyone, I have a few friends who still have that version in their Prime Video library instead of the theatrical. And Amazon is still selling that Family Friendly audio version...
How is it an Amazon screwup to have the best version of the movie in UHD? This seems like Amazon is the only one that’s doing it right and Disney and Apple have the screw up?

Or are you saying that Fox / Disney / James Cameron don’t want the SE in 4K?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And my friend who bought The Abyss from Apple and who’s frustration with the lack of SE prompting me to look into this issue, replied :)

Thanks for looking into this for me. Appreciated it. You gots some cool forum friends.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And my friend who bought The Abyss from Apple and who’s frustration with the lack of SE prompting me to look into this issue, replied :)
The Abyss on iTunes contains the SE in HD/5.1.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
How is it an Amazon screwup to have the best version of the movie in UHD? This seems like Amazon is the only one that’s doing it right and Disney and Apple have the screw up?

Or are you saying that Fox / Disney / James Cameron don’t want the SE in 4K?

The screwup is that one singular purchase is supposed to include access to both the theatrical and special edition versions of the film, with both versions provided in 4K UHD. It’s not supposed to be separate SKUs for each version. Amazon is offering an incorrect product configuration by selling the special edition independently of the theatrical version rather than offering them together in one purchase with both in 4K.

It appears that no retailer has gotten it right yet, which as Todd has pointed out, is likely because Disney (having not handled a similar digital release before) hasn’t properly formatted their metadata or provided the deliverables in a way that the storefronts understood how to market them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks