What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
After years of waiting, James Cameron’s True Lies arrives in a satisfactory but not stellar 4K transfer on digital PVOD services.

True Lies (1994)

Released: 15 Jul 1994
Rated: R
Runtime: 141 min

Director: James Cameron
Genre: Action, Comedy, Thriller

Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Arnold
Writer(s): James Cameron, Claude Zidi, Simon Michaël

Plot: A fearless, globe-trotting, terrorist-battling secret agent has his life turned upside down when he discovers his wife might be having an affair with a used-car salesman while terrorists smuggle nuclear war heads into the United S...

IMDB rating: 7.3
MetaScore: 63

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video...

Continue reading...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think the last time I may have seen this movie was in the theater, as I never owned the DVD for various reasons. It was interesting revisiting the film with all that has transpired politically and socially over the last 30 years.

I did find the stunt doubling of Arnold rather obvious, but I'm not sure why it seems more so with this film than others. It almost seemed like they didn't try very hard to obscure the fact.

As far as the video quality, there were definitely moments / shots where they looked not especially natural / heavily processed. I'm curious what was specifically problematic with those shots that required what seems like pretty aggressive (A.I.?) measures.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Was hoping for a more detailed review.

I must admit all the bickering and bellyaching about "the new look" of these Cameron films has kind of soured me on them somewhat but I'm still very much looking forward to the upcoming physical media releases. I was one of those highly frustrated with the lack of upgraded discs and was ecstatic beyond belief when they were finally announced. Haven't purchased the digital versions of TL or Aliens but I did buy The Abyss on Prime and thought it looked fantastic overall.

Is Aliens available to stream digitally anywhere?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Did they include both the theatrical and special edition? Both in HDR?
The Abyss on Prime is only available for purchase at this time for $9.99, and it's the theatrical cut only. It's not available to rent. It's the same on all streaming platforms. Amazon shows it as HD on Movies Anywhere, but if you look at Prime Video on amazon.com it's listed as UHD.

1703870789306.png

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The Abyss on Prime is only available for purchase at this time for $9.99, and it's the theatrical cut only. It's not available to rent. It's the same on all streaming platforms. Amazon shows it as HD on Movies Anywhere, but if you look at Prime Video on amazon.com it's listed as UHD.

View attachment 207947

I paid $19.99 for the Prime purchase. Not sure if it was HDR for the poster who asked but it was indeed the Special Edition.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I paid $19.99 for the Prime purchase. Not sure if it was HDR for the poster who asked but it was indeed the Special Edition.
Amazon currently has the Theatrical and the Special Edition for sale separately at $9.99 each.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Amazon currently has the Theatrical and the Special Edition for sale separately at $9.99 each.

Maybe that option wasn't available when I bought it initially. Or maybe I just missed that there were indeed two separate versions being sold. All I know is there was no way I would've paid the twenty bucks for just the theatrical cut. I'm never going back to that cut.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Here is the latest report card for True Lies (I have omitted YouTube/Google TV since they have made it nearly impossible to locate items in your library):

Movies Anywhere: 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos

Vudu: 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos (missing translated subtitles)

Apple TV (on Apple TV device): 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos

Apple TV app (on non-Apple TV device): 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos; Movie only

Prime Video: HD and Dolby Digital+ 5.1. Not available in 4K

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Here is the latest report card for True Lies (I have omitted YouTube/Google TV since they have made it nearly impossible to locate items in your library):

Movies Anywhere: 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos

Vudu: 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos (missing translated subtitles)

Apple TV (on Apple TV device): 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos

Apple TV app (on non-Apple TV device): 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos; Movie only

Prime Video: HD and Dolby Digital+ 5.1. Not available in 4K
When you say Dolby Vision\HDR10 is that is differentiate from the Dolby Vision without the HDR10 base layer (the base layer HDR10 being required on disk but not on streaming)?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
When you say Dolby Vision\HDR10 is that is differentiate from the Dolby Vision without the HDR10 base layer (the base layer HDR10 being required on disk but not on streaming)?
If your device and/or display does not support Dolby Vision, then it defaults to HDR10. Most PVOD providers now default down to HDR10 if DV is not supported in the customer's chain on newer content. Some providers, like Vudu, have not gone back to all older titles in their library to add HDR10.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks