What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The day many thought would never happen has arrived – James Cameron’s The Abyss makes its HD and UHD debut on physical media.

The Abyss (1989)

Released: 09 Aug 1989
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 140 min

Director: James Cameron
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Mystery

Cast: Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Michael Biehn
Writer(s): James Cameron

Plot: A civilian diving team is enlisted to search for a lost nuclear submarine and faces danger while encountering an alien aquatic species.

IMDB rating: 7.5
MetaScore: 62

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Thanks for the review! This may already have been answered, elsewhere, but is the digital copy that comes with the discs, the extended version. I know the solo digital release is, but is that the same included here?

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thanks for the review! This may already have been answered, elsewhere, but is the digital copy that comes with the discs, the extended version. I know the solo digital release is, but is that the same included here?
I mention this in my review:

Digital Copy: A Movies Anywhere code is included to redeem a digital copy of the film in 4K and earn reward points on Disney Movie Insiders. Content and resolution may vary by digital retailer.

As of March 8, 2024, when redeeming the included code on Movies Anywhere, the major digital retailers offered the following:

Movies Anywhere: Theatrical cut in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition cut included as a special feature in 1080p and Dolby 5.1.

Apple TV: Special Edition cut in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Theatrical cut as a special feature (on Apple TV devices only) in 1080p and Dolby 5.1.

Vudu: Theatrical cut in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition cut in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby 5.1.

Prime Video: Theatrical cut in 4K HDR10+ and Dolby 5.1.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Anyone disappointed that the digital copies of Aliens and The Abyss did NOT include the Special Edition cuts in 4K can call Disney Home Entertainment customer service at 888-223-4369. Currently, they are only collecting feedback, but if they receive plenty of complaints, they may actually fix the issue retroactively.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Awesome that we finally have a good disc release, with both cuts of the film, and new interviews. Can’t wait to watch it. Thanks for your review, Todd. 👍

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Has anyone checked the English subtitles in the UHD?
I've read that they're out of sync due to seamless branching of the 2 versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks