What's new

You've lost that mono feeling, now it's gone, gone, gone. (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
Andy, that stylized Paramount logo is obviously part of Saul Bass' title design. It's on the Blu Ray in any case.
Is that so lets see a capture of it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Salacious Ackbar said:
Universal has been pretty good about including mono or stereo tracks on their catalog releases, at least of their big catalog titles like Jaws, Psycho, etc. WB did it for Superman: The Movie too and even including the original stereo track in DTS-HD MA.
I prefer Superman The Movie on laserdisc with dialogue panning when centre channel is lowered down you can hear the voices pan to left and right. The DVD re-mix not enough was done to keep it intact and fully theatrical mix original. The isolated score 5.0 is a bonus for the John Williams score. The bluray no more better. The SE box set DVD with a theatrical version still has the new sound effects and missing sound effects/Foley. The laserdisc is better.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
andySu said:
The aspect ratio looks like someone at Paramount was drunk and fell over on the control panel and hit scope 2.35:1 :lol: The camera has tinted the B&W I was thinking of selecting B&W on the camera.

Checked on imdb, open matt and the THX signature collection laserdisc is 1.85:1 and all other laserdisc full screen.

Looks stretched to me. Is the Region 2 DVD non-anamorphic?

As for the sound, I only recently realized that there were added sound effects in the 5.1 on Psycho, as I usually just watch it with the mono.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Bryan Tuck said:
Looks stretched to me. Is the Region 2 DVD non-anamorphic?

As for the sound, I only recently realized that there were added sound effects in the 5.1 on Psycho, as I usually just watch it with the mono.
The player settings I think are at 16:9 its the disc transfer that is wrong and how someone at Universal couldn't see it?

Have you carefully A and B the 5.1 to mono as they might have used the same transfer for 5.1 and mono-ized it with a fake mono, like E.T. on DVD with the Universal calmed original which isn't as the soundtrack has the same new sound effects of the 2001 version. The laserdisc of E.T. is better sounding in original Dolby Stereo.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
KJEqjEe.jpg

...aaaaaaaaaaaaand we're done here.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
andySu said:
The player settings I think are at 16:9 its the disc transfer that is wrong and how someone at Universal couldn't see it?
Looks like you have the 2003 UK edition, which is a non-anamorphic transfer. Fix your settings so the picture doesn't stretch. And, no, those aren't "scan lines" in the Paramount logo. That's how the logo looks on the film.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Funny how the Universal Psycho '98 didn't go with lines over the Universal logo.

I doubt the settings might do a real change but I'll look into it later in the night.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
No, no its not the players settings checked and its the transfer of yet another dodgy Universal classic. I think I'd get the laserdisc ether early pressing 1.33:1 open matt or the THX laserdisc W/S 1.85:1, Mono mix, won't spend out on bluray for 5.1.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If you care about the image, avoid open matte anything.

Couldn't find any reviews for that edition, how do other non-enhanced DVDs display?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Peter Apruzzese said:
If you care about the image, avoid open matte anything.

Couldn't find any reviews for that edition, how do other non-enhanced DVDs display?
Well it doesn't matter lets move on and create another thread about it as I have that loving feeling for TOP GUN original mix on Dolby AC-3 Laserdisc same as first DVD pressing. The SE DVD followed by HD-DVD I assume is also same as the bluray I have had "I want some butt" centred and not panned on right stage channel then pans off to left when the air tower guy wants "more butt".

I bet a lot of Top Gun Dolby listener fans didn't even notice this? Also some additional music effect I think its been used on the surrounds or that 6.1 to sell an old film and would be better of as 5.1 SS.

I liked it at the cinema local Cannon screen 1 35mm Dolby Stereo A-type and I can easily recall this needs "more butt" panning cowbell. It sounded so real to me at the time. To bad the cinema couldn't get this in 70mm but the 35mm played out for weeks, weeks and more even more weeks back when real films would play out for a few months unlike the digital hard-drive junk digital projector films today that only last 2 weeks in top number one screen.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
I didn't realize "Top Gun" was originally released in mono?
No but the thread title is a quote from Top Gun with song sang in the film.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
What about Vertigo? I see on imdb it was mono and though the release on first edition DVD R2 was thrilling from the opening credits, I don't like the Foley on it. It seems that some parts of the film has no footsteps of outdoor scenes. I have to get the early laserdisc pressing for Mono mix and maybe by the dts THX laserdisc for cheap.

Vertigo LD Mono

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/01974/40082/Vertigo

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
andySu said:
What about Vertigo? I see on imdb it was mono and though the release on first edition DVD R2 was thrilling from the opening credits, I don't like the Foley on it. It seems that some parts of the film has no footsteps of outdoor scenes. I have to get the early laserdisc pressing for Mono mix and maybe by the dts THX laserdisc for cheap.

Vertigo LD Mono

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/01974/40082/Vertigo

The Vertigo Blu-ray has the original mono as a DTS 2.0 track (at least the US release does). Lossy, but probably better than the analog track on that old laserdisc. Plus the 5.1 on the Blu-ray is considerably toned down from the earlier remix to where it's not quite as revisionist.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Bryan Tuck said:
The Vertigo Blu-ray has the original mono as a DTS 2.0 track (at least the US release does). Lossy, but probably better than the analog track on that old laserdisc. Plus the 5.1 on the Blu-ray is considerably toned down from the earlier remix to where it's not quite as revisionist.
But is the mono mix that is on the bluray from an original or just monaural down from the 5.1 with the some newer Foley effects and what else. I'd pick early LD as I can be sure it would be mono from that era.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
andySu said:
But is the mono mix that is on the bluray from an original or just monaural down from the 5.1 with the some newer Foley effects and what else. I'd pick early LD as I can be sure it would be mono from that era.

This is kind of a long thread, but it appears that the consensus is that it is the actual original mono, but taken from a 35mm source, rather than the original master (which is apparently lost). And it is just on the US release; the UK release is 5.1 only (but at least it's the new, better 5.1).

A few words about... Vertigo -- in Blu-ray

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Bryan Tuck said:
This is kind of a long thread, but it appears that the consensus is that it is the actual original mono, but taken from a 35mm source, rather than the original master (which is apparently lost). And it is just on the US release; the UK release is 5.1 only (but at least it's the new, better 5.1).

A few words about... Vertigo -- in Blu-ray
Yeah cheers, Bryan, I looked the UK release only has mono in other languages and the US is (region A locked) a lot of use that is to me. I say we have HD-DVD back again as that wasn't ridiculously regional locked on every title.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
andySu said:
Yeah cheers, Bryan, I looked the UK release only has mono in other languages and the US is (region A locked) a lot of use that is to me. I say we have HD-DVD back again as that wasn't ridiculously regional locked on every title.

Who told you the US disc was region locked? Just like the UK disc it is region-free.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
Who told you the US disc was region locked? Just like the UK disc it is region-free.
Site I looked at says region A, unless they don't use a multi regional play to confirm its region free.

melodram

Auditioning
Real Name
melodram
Does anybody how they did it with "Exorcist" and "Omen"? Mono to surround. Just copy he original mono-track 5 times or did they record dialogue and effects separately?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks