What's new

Pre-Order SPHE Press Release: The Way We Were (1973) 50th Anniversary Edition (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
We really don't know if Sydney Pollack would have minded if the film was altered or not. He might have been fine with it as long as the original theatrical cut was included (as it is.) There probably would have been an audio commentary by the both of them, and the subject would have been discussed. They seemed to have a mutual respect for each other.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
We really don't know if Sydney Pollack would have minded if the film was altered or not. He might have been fine with it as long as the original theatrical cut was included (as it is.) There probably would have been an audio commentary by the both of them, and the subject would have been discussed. They seemed to have a mutual respect for each other.

I agree. It's not the first time it's come up. Sydney Pollack remarked in an interview that all he knew was that the movie died in previews with the scenes left in and played like gangbusters a few days later when they were removed, so he went with it. I also don't think he would have cared one way or the other as long as the original was preserved.

I'm not really a Pauline Kael fan, per se, but I do love what she said about the movie: "The Way We Were is a fluke—a torpedoed ship full of gaping holes that comes snugly into port.” Talk about a backhanded compliment, lol. Syndey Pollack thought it was pretty funny, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per Amazon listing 300+ bought (ordered) in past month. I guess that is OK for a vintage movie over a month and a half before release date that has been available to order for 10 days with the price still over $30 . By comparrison The Exorcist 4K has sold (ordered) over 3,000 on Amazon at a cheaper price currently under $24.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert

In his 2023 book The Way They Were : How Epic Battles and Bruised Egos Brought a Classic Hollywood Love Story to the Screen, author Robert Hofley writes about interviewing Pollack about his remake of Sabrina :

That day, Pollack much preferred talking about The Way We Were to talking about his Sabrina, and I jumped at the opportunity to ask about all the Hollywood blacklist scenes that had been cut. That was when he told me, "There will not be an extended director's cut of The Way We Were. The blacklist scenes don't work."
When I talked about a recently published Streisand biography that contended she would have won the Oscar if the UCLA scene had not been cut, he responded with the utmost firmness, "That's bullshit!"
I left that interview knowing that Pollack preferred The Way We Were to remain as he had last edited it in 1973, and that he wanted no changes made. He wanted no "cut" scenes reinserted. I found the man to be as honest and forthright as any person I've ever met in the film business.

Make of it what you will.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Having seen the cut scenes I'm looking forward to the longer version. It significantly changes why Katie and Hubbell divorce ...for the better.
Yes they are excerpted on the making of documentary on the DVD. I am also look forwarded to seeing them reinserted back into the film.

It does not surprise me that Sidney Pollack would not be in favor of putting the scenes back. The film as released was his version of the film. It wasn't taken away from him and cut. It is not a situation like Lost Horizon (1937) or A Star is Born (1954) where the films were cut by the studio after the films were released.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I don't think that Sydney Pollack would have ever admitted that his decision to delete those scenes from the film was the wrong one.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
My iTunes version of the film has upgraded to 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision. I will check it out later.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m guessing the digital copy won’t include the separate cuts when this disc is released.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m guessing the digital copy won’t include the separate cuts when this disc is released.
So far the digital has only the theatrical version with no bonus material. However, that could change once the disc is released.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The digital version of "1776", also released by SONY. had only one version of the film while the 4K disc version had many. The version on digital was the director's cut, the same version that had been available since the blu ray was released updated to 4K. Hopefully "The Way We Were" will be different but if SONY is consistant maybe not. Warner Bros ("Superman") and pre Disney Fox ("South Pacific"/"Oklahoma")have released some multiple versions of a film on Digital usually calling them a special feature. I don't recall SONY doing it.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well. I ordered it.
Not sure yet if I’m going to keep the order up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The digital version of "1776", also released by SONY. had only one version of the film while the 4K disc version had many. The version on digital was the director's cut, the same version that had been available since the blu ray was released updated to 4K. Hopefully "The Way We Were" will be different but if SONY is consistant maybe not. Warner Bros ("Superman") and pre Disney Fox ("South Pacific"/"Oklashoma")have released some multiple versions of a film on Digital usually calling them a special feature. I don't recall SONY doing it.
Sony is a mixed bag when it comes to having alternate cuts of the film on their digitals. Black Hawk Down and Close Encounters of the Third Kind have alternate cuts on their 4K digitals. While others like The Natural and The Patriot don't have them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Looks like the digital copy on iTunes hasn’t been lower then $8 for almost 5 years

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like the digital copy on iTunes hasn’t been lower then $8 for almost 5 years
Back in 2018, iTunes had Classic 70's Collection on sale for $19.99. A great deal for ten movies so I jumped on it without thinking some of those titles would upgrade to 4K.

Taxi Driver
The Way We Were
The Last Picture Show
Shampoo
Kramer vs Kramer
Murder By Death
Midnight Express
Brian's Song
Drunken Master

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks