What's new

You voted and the results are in! (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Me, likewise, for the sublime and beautiful Two for the road...I'm glad for anyone who's getting a desired film on a blu release, but I long for this great film on blu-ray...I like John Wayne too, but I'm more excited about Olive's forthcoming blu releases of War of the wildcats and Wake of the Red Witch than these two much lesser Duke films...IMHO..I'll get Ghost and mrs. Muir when it's available...

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I know it didn't get many votes, but really sorry that Bandolero! doesn't get a bluray release. It has always been one of my favorites.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I, too, voted for Two for the Road almost every day especially in the last three weeks or so of voting as I vainly tried to up its total into the top two. Alas, not to be.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
MCCLOUD said:
It is very suprising to me at the slow pace of John Wayne titles being released on Blu-Ray.
Slow pace? Try being an Elizabeth Taylor fan. We're finally seeing at least three of her films on Blu this year (Cleopatra, Giant and The Only Game in Town), but so far the only US release of her work has been the documentary, "That's Entertainment!" I look at the number of his fllms on Blu and think his fans must feel very lucky. :confused: I

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
KISS OF DEATH was #2 in the 1940s category each and every day by a wide margin-- I'm baffled why it suddenly vanished off the release list.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Re Lromero, Jesse James is totally inaccurate, idolizing a murder who was a mercenary during the Civil War. Power deserved better than this phony garbage. Wild Wild West is what it is, it doesnt pretend to be anything else. Great westerns like Stagecoach, Yellow Sky, Vera Cruz, The Searchers, Duel at Diablo, Major Dundee, The Wild Bunch, Ulzana's Raid, at least make some efforts to honestly portray the American West, the frontier and its significance.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MCCLOUD said:
It is very suprising to me at the slow pace of John Wayne titles being released on Blu-Ray. I am talking about his movies from the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. I thought Wayne's movies were good sellers, especially as many times as they have been reissued on DVD. When you think of some of the movies from the 1950's, the 1960's and 1970's that Warner Brothers, Paramount, Fox, United Artists has released on Blu-Ray ahead of Wayne movies like Hatari, EL Dorado etc, it is suprising to me. Just look at some of the stuff Fox has released on Blu-Ray ahead of North To Alaska and The Undefeated which should have, in my opinion, been released years ago. So the recently released Wild River for example or Frank Sinatra's Von Ryan's Express are going to sell more Blu-Ray's than North To Alaska and The Undefeated.? In my opinion, I think North To Alaska and The Undefeated will sell more, yet the other titles are released first. Also, let me state that I am glad for fans of Wild River and Von Ryans Express that they have been released on Blu-Ray. It is nothing against them. Also, I know it had never been released on DVD before, but I was really suprised that Fox released The Barbarian And The Giesha on Blu-Ray ahead of North To Alaska and The Undefeated. I would think that both North To Alaska and The Undefeated will sell more Blu-Rays than The Barbarian And The Geisha. These are just my opinions, my selling predictions could be wrong Others can disagree. The studios will do what they want to. I just wish they would get on the ball and get John Wayne's movies out on Blu-Ray! For the Wayne movies released on Blu-Ray THANKS WARNERS, PARAMOUNT, FOX, AND UNITED ARTISTS! PLEASE RELEASE THE REST OF JOHN WAYNE MOVIES ON BLU-RAY SOON! THANKS! Robert
Some of the slowness might be the condition of source material that would be used for a Blu-ray transfer. As popular as John Wayne has been over the decades I would presume that the material has had a good work out. The best elements are probably the Batjac and Warner owned ones. Does anyone know the condition of the Paramount and Universal titles?

ahollis said:
Some of the slowness might be the condition of source material that would be used for a Blu-ray transfer. As popular as John Wayne has been over the decades I would presume that the material has had a good work out. The best elements are probably the Batjac and Warner owned ones. Does anyone know the condition of the Paramount and Universal titles?
I have the Region B 1080i 50Hz Danish release of Hellfighters Blu-ray and it looks very nice. Stereo sound too.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the reply Allen! You may be right! Most of the John Wayne movies from Warners like Chisum, The Train Robbers, and MCQ look pretty good to me on DVD. Same thing for The Universal and Paramount titles. My question is with this being the case, would it not be as expensive for these films to be restored for Blu-Ray as some other Blu-Ray titles that have been released that did not as good looking DVDS or no DVD release at all? Thanks! Robert

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Brandon Conway said:
It appears Blood and Sand (1941) will be getting a release on 7/9/13. http://www.amazon.com/Blood-And-Sand-Blu-ray/dp/B00BQ6TIVOhttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
Excellent! I hope that Fox has put a lot of the correct type of effort into the restoration, since no original negatives or dye-transfer Technicolor materials exist on this title. A lot of work will have been needed to get it somewhere close to its original luster.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
davidHartzog said:
Re Lromero, Jesse James is totally inaccurate, idolizing a murder who was a mercenary during the Civil War. Power deserved better than this phony garbage. Wild Wild West is what it is, it doesnt pretend to be anything else. Great westerns like Stagecoach, Yellow Sky, Vera Cruz, The Searchers, Duel at Diablo, Major Dundee, The Wild Bunch, Ulzana's Raid, at least make some efforts to honestly portray the American West, the frontier and its significance.
Welcome to the world of Hollywood westerns. They are often historically inaccurate because that's just how most movies are. And I accept that. People went and still go to the movies largely for escapism; not a history lesson. If you don't mind me saying, Jesse James is a quality film with nice cinematography, good performances, and a decent if not historically accurate story. It is far from being the best western ever made, but it's also pretty far from being the worst. I do agree that most of the films you've listed are better than Jesse James, but I honestly don't understand how you can actually consider Wild Wild West better than Jesse James.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Having been watching westerns, tv and movies, for five decades i hardly need an introduction to them. My point is that most hollywood westerns at least try to capture the west as it was. JJ is just a worthless costume drama. Wild Wild West doesnt pretend to be something it isnt. Pretty pictures dont make a western. Liberty Valence was shot almost entirely on sets, but theres more truth in any two minutes of it then in all of JJ.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by davidHartzog
Having been watching westerns, tv and movies, for five decades i hardly need an introduction to them. My point is that most hollywood westerns at least try to capture the west as it was. JJ is just a worthless costume drama. Wild Wild West doesnt pretend to be something it isnt. Pretty pictures dont make a western. Liberty Valence was shot almost entirely on sets, but theres more truth in any two minutes of it then in all of JJ.
To each his own, but if it's a worthless costume drama to you then it's still an entertaining film to me.
Crawdaddy

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
davidHartzog said:
As someone who has also been watching Westerns, and and all sorts of other subject matter on film and television for over five decades, I have to say that you seem to have a very narrow & shallow view on the "Hollywood Western." The 1939 Jesse James is indeed incredibly inaccurate. It is a romantic adventure and not a documentary or a realistic examination of the border wars and post Civil War Missouri, etc. And also, as someone who comes from Jesse James country, I can say that I have never seen an "accurate" portrayal of the James-Younger Gang on film. Walter Hill's The Long Riders comes the closest, and it is far from spot on. Anyway, "Hollywood Westerns" run the gamut the two-gun B-Westerns to Sam Peckinpah and The Wild Bunch and beyond. John Ford's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is one of my favorite films; but I also love Raoul Walsh's They Died With Their Boots On, which is total horseshit historically, but still a great film. I suppose I am not making my point very clear, except to say that the "Hollywood Western" takes in a large range of film, a lot of it not particularly realistic, authentic or accurate. I am not a major fan of Henry King's Jesse James, but it is a Western, and a very good looking one too, I might add. I like King's The Gunfighter and The Bravados much better; but they were made in a somewhat different time. As far as "truth" goes--as has been said before "what is truth?"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Randal Gist
As someone who has also been watching Westerns, and and all sorts of other subject matter on film and television for over five decades, I have to say that you seem to have a very narrow & shallow view on the "Hollywood Western." The 1939 Jesse James is indeed incredibly inaccurate. It is a romantic adventure and not a documentary or a realistic examination of the border wars and post Civil War Missouri, etc. And also, as someone who comes from Jesse James country, I can say that I have never seen an "accurate" portrayal of the James-Younger Gang on film. Walter Hill's The Long Riders comes the closest, and it is far from spot on. Anyway, "Hollywood Westerns" run the gamut the two-gun B-Westerns to Sam Peckinpah and The Wild Bunch and beyond. John Ford's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is one of my favorite films; but I also love Raoul Walsh's They Died With Their Boots On, which is total horseshit historically, but still a great film. I suppose I am not making my point very clear, except to say that the "Hollywood Western" takes in a large range of film, a lot of it not particularly realistic, authentic or accurate. I am not a major fan of Henry King's Jesse James, but it is a Western, and a very good looking one too, I might add. I like King's The Gunfighter and The Bravados much better; but they were made in a somewhat different time. As far as "truth" goes--as has been said before "what is truth?"
Excellent post!
Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
+1
(History as we know it: Robin Hood, Titanic, Elisabeth I, Braveheart, The Last of the Mohicans, Rob Roy, JFK, Abraham Lincoln the Va.... )
Cees

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Andrew Budgell said:
Slow pace? Try being an Elizabeth Taylor fan. We're finally seeing at least three of her films on Blu this year (Cleopatra, Giant and The Only Game in Town), but so far the only US release of her work has been the documentary, "That's Entertainment!" I look at the number of his fllms on Blu and think his fans must feel very lucky. :confused: I
John Wayne fans indeed can feel very lucky, especially given the fact that so many great westerns have not been released on Blu-Ray so far with several of the Dukes lesser efforts comfortably making their way to Blu-Ray. Imagine for example the much lauded collaboration of Anthony Mann with Jimmy Stewart: 0 out of 5 movies released, The Scott/Boetticher Westerns: 0 out of 7 released. Westerns by Sam Peckinpah: One rather mediocre looking release. I could go on with actors often associated with the western that are missing with many of their best movies etc.... So the Duke fared very well on Blu-Ray which reflects his popularity that apparently also comes with larger than life success on classic catalog releases on Blu :)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Worth noting that we are talking about Fox films. Wayne did not do that many films with Fox. However North To Alaska is not one of Wayne's lesser efforts. It is a very entertaining film with a cast that does a fine job from top to bottom. Just because it it a light-hearted film does not make it any less important than any other films.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I wonder if Fox believes in the selling power of John Wayne enough to release two of his pre-codes on Blu-ray: Girls Demand Excitement (1931) and Three Girls Lost (1931)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks