What's new

You voted and the results are in! (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Very happy with the outcome and very happy that they sidestepped any ummmmm... irregularities (shall we say) in the voting process by releasing the top two in each decade (and on the same day, too!)
Sure I still have a list of wants but I feel this was handled very well.
Thanks!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Chas in CT said:
Where was the love for some of the entertaining classic Fox widescreen films such as Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? and The Best of Everything.  And of course The Agony and the Ecstasy.  Perhaps these are destined to become Twilight Time titles?  
I enjoy The Best Of Everything a lot but I didn't vote for it because the DVD is good enough for now. I won't mind at all if Fox lease it out to Twilight Time because that way we'll have a music only soundtrack.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Robin9
I enjoy The Best Of Everything a lot but I didn't vote for it because the DVD is good enough for now. I won't mind at all if Fox lease it out to Twilight Time because that way we'll have a music only soundtrack.
It did get a few of my early votes, but once I saw how the voting was going, I turned my allegiance to voting for my favorites among the top vote getters to (hopefully) make sure they'd stay on top.
I think The Blue Bird was the only one I consistently voted for every day that didn't end up moving up in the voting, but I could see that The Ghost and Mrs. Muir didn't need my help.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
I did my part on Inferno in 3D and can only hope it eventually amounts to some attention being paid.
While I can't speak for Fox, they did say that they were looking at the list and voting and it would influence their 2014 releases. That may or may not mean anything when it comes to this title, but is good news overall.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
OliverK said:
There must have indeed been many who voted for these two which was my exact point - these are not exactly among the most popular movies with John Wayne and still they won - we probably could have had another two John Wayne movies in the other decades and they all would have won - do you think that makes sense? I have 7 or 8 movies with John Wayne on Blu-Ray myself and probably another 10 to 15 in other incarnations so it is not like I don't like The Duke, but he is just too big for such a tiny poll :D
Oliver, you put it so well! "Too big for such a tiny poll" hits the nail on the head! But in any case I'm still ecstatic to see the two Wayne titles finally released.
Chas in CT said:
Where was the love for some of the entertaining classic Fox widescreen films such as Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? and The Best of Everything.  And of course The Agony and the Ecstasy.  Perhaps these are destined to become Twilight Time titles?  
Chas, Agony was announced for 2014 release back in August, I believe. However, I'm not certain of anything now. It should make the cut for release by Fox, considering it was 3rd in the voting. WSSRH may end up going to TT. It seems like a title that they would fight hard for. TBOE I think will probably end up with TT. I base my statement on the voting results (TBOE only had 1%) and overall reputation of the title.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Lromero1396 said:
Oliver, you put it so well! "Too big for such a tiny poll" hits the nail on the head! But in any case I'm still ecstatic to see the two Wayne titles finally released.
You should be ecstatic to see them on Blu-ray! I just hope that most voters will follow up with purchases of the titles they voted for!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
While I can't speak for Fox, they did say that they were looking at the list and voting and it would influence their 2014 releases.  That may or may not mean anything when it comes to this title, but is good news overall.
I think it is premature to expect anything definite from Fox at this point apart from releasing these 9 titles. I am sure they will want to see how such a poll translates into real world sales for each title and then plan accordingly for next year. I know that this is what I would do as a studio.

OliverK said:
Can't blame John Wayne fans for voting for John Wayne, that would be silly and this is not what I am doing. I just questioned the selection process, especially for The Undefeated that does rank so low. So no bad names for John Wayne fans only the hope that in the future his movies might be released just like that - he still is THAT popular.
What we need is for Paramount to get with it do a poll. I wonder how quality films like Hatari!, El Dorado, and The Sons Of Katie Elder would do??? If they're just going to sit on them, let Olive release them.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Disappointing outcome for me, not one of mine got the nod. Add insult to injury, Jesse James is one of the worst westerns ever made.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by John Hermes
What we need is for Paramount to get with it do a poll. I wonder how quality films like Hatari!, El Dorado, and The Sons Of Katie Elder would do??? If they're just going to sit on them, let Olive release them.
I'm pretty sure Warner has plans for some of those Duke titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by davidHartzog
Disappointing outcome for me, not one of mine got the nod. Add insult to injury, Jesse James is one of the worst westerns ever made.
Hurts, don't it?

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
And i still cant get over Criterion releasing heavens gate. At least they are putting out 3.10 to Yuma.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
John Hermes said:
These are really big John Wayne titles, why release them through Olive? Seeing how two lesser Wayne titles have fared in this poll makes me wonder why they would need a poll to release those? What they should do is to space the releases some months apart so that those who are interested buy all of them and not only one or two out of three.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I hope we get a domestic release of Rock Hunter next year then, or let it be licensed. MoC did it in the UK, so perhaps Criterion here.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
OliverK said:
These are really big John Wayne titles, why release them through Olive? Seeing how two lesser Wayne titles have fared in this poll makes me wonder why they would need a poll to release those? What they should do is to space the releases some months apart so that those who are interested buy all of them and not only one or two out of three.
And John Wayne is still big-#5 on the annual Harris poll of favorite actors. Last year he was #3. http://digitaljournal.com/article/318220

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
OliverK said:
You should be ecstatic to see them on Blu-ray! I just hope that most voters will follow up with purchases of the titles they voted for!
I'll be buying all 9 of them :D

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
OliverK said:
Doesn't Warner now have distribution rights to Hatari!, Sons of Katie Elder, etc.?

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
davidHartzog said:
OK, you're entitled to your opinion. But before you make that statement, watch the remake of Jesse James: The True Story of Jesse James, which is a very poor film. And then watch Wild Wild West. That will make Jesse James seem like a masterpiece. I'm curious, why do you so dislike Jesse James?

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Moe Dickstein said:
I hope we get a domestic release of Rock Hunter next year then, or let it be licensed. MoC did it in the UK, so perhaps Criterion here.
I would hope for Criterion but I actually see Twilight Time as having a better chance of getting it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks