You Think Your Local Theater is Bad? See What I Have to Deal With

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_Els, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Yes I despise going to the movie theater and it's things like this that are why. It's too bad as Destinta has the best theaters in the county. I won't go near the others, I like heat, chairs with cushions, and my car to be one piece when I get out. A trek to the other theaters is still at least 7 miles and Destinta is 28 miles.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Too bad you don't live in a place like Orlando... in about a 7 mile radius I probably have 10+ theatres I can go to [​IMG]

3. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

4. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

You need to move to Berkeley. I have four theaters within walking distance from my house and many more within driving distance.

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Jason, that's horrible. I've never heard of anything like that in the Houston area.

OTOH, I never go to movies on Friday or Saturday nights, because the theaters are overrun with teens whose reason for being there is not necessarily the movie. Like most of the older moviegoers around here, I haunt the Fri/Sat/Sun early to midafternoon matinees.

6. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Nah, move to Virginia Beach/Norfolk. I live 2 minutes walking from a 4 screen Cinema Cafe (2nd run), less than 2 miles from two theaters (8 and 12 screens, respectively), 3 miles from a Navy Base .99 cent theater (month old movies), and 5 miles from an 18 screen Cinemark (my favorite.) If I push to 10 miles, I get a second Cinema Cafe, another 12 screen, another 8 screen, a very nice 10 screen and a couple of 4 and 5 screens. In all, within 30 minutes of my house, I have something like 100 screens to see first and second run movies. Hampton Roads is pretty saturated with theaters!

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I miss the days fifteen years ago when Montreal still had plenty of affordable repertoire theaters showing plenty of decent first and second run flicks from all over the world. I still remember being in a packed theater one night watching Woody Allen's "What's Up Tiger Lily" and being amazed that 1: the theater was packed with people, and 2: the print was in excellent condition. Even the staff was amazed at how incredibly well the night went.

Today, I find the moviegoing experience to be painful at best. The patrons are rude, the theater equipment is usually badly calibrated and poorly maintained (the repertoire theaters were consistently well maintained), and there's way too many commercials and previews before the main feature.

We've yet to experience riots at or around our theaters, but it may not be long before we inherit that as well.

8. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

I've given up on going to the major chains to watch films. Most people treat it as watching a football game in their living room - talking loudly, getting up for food or the toilet, and then of course there are the ringing cell phones and the people who take the calls!

Thankfully in downtown Philadelphia we have a chain of theaters (The Ritz) that show primarily non-Hollywood, independent and foreign films (About Schmidt, Wonder Boys and Best In Show are about as mainstream as they get). They also show all the "Classic" films which are rereleased no matter how limited their run is, such as Chinatown, The Godfather, Rear Window, Vertigo and Blade Runner. Anyway, the audiences the theater attracts are very tame.

There's also a privately owned theater near my house (basically a small building with 2 screening rooms) that gets everything from the ultra art house type films, to the latest Hollywood trash. The audience is also great there. Best part is that they rarely sell out of seats, so I can leave my house (walking) at 7:50pm for an 8:00pm showtime.

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian