Blu-ray Review Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures Blu-ray Review

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Doug, mine slip out quite easily. I just turn the case over and let gravity work. Unlike some of the Fox books, I find this is a much easier design in terms of not having to touch the surface of the disc.
Package design , graphics wise, is quite sharp. Love the spot varnishing on the cover of the book. The Struzen-esque illos are also quite lovely. In terms of just the physical packaging-I like it quite a bit. Very classy.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Paul_Scott said:
Doug, mine slip out quite easily. I just turn the case over and let gravity work. Unlike some of the Fox books, I find this is a much easier design in terms of not having to touch the surface of the disc.
Package design , graphics wise, is quite sharp. Love the spot varnishing on the cover of the book. The Struzen-esque illos are also quite lovely. In terms of just the physical packaging-I like it quite a bit. Very classy.
Mine are inconsistent. Raiders I have to pull out with my finger tips, and I HATE putting my finger tips on the disc surface. Crusade however slides out if you just tip it down. I suspect that the sleeve for Raiders will loosen up as the disc is taken in and out over time.
Doug

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I had just the opposite reaction to the packaging. When I went to pull the "book" out of its sleeve, almost all of the discs fell out onto the floor.

While I like the artwork, I'm not a big fan of this type of packaging, as I, too, do not like to place my fingertips on the discs, and am afraid they will get scratched/damaged if they fall out of the sleeves and onto the floor.

I'm now looking for some sort of 11 or 12-disc DVD or Blu-ray case to house this new Blu-ray set with the original DVD set, as well as the original 2-disc KOTCS Blu-ray. Or find some 4-disc DVD cases for the first three films and bonus discs (and use the inserts from the original DVD release) and a 3-disc BD case for KOTCS.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Toddwrtr said:
I had just the opposite reaction to the packaging. When I went to pull the "book" out of its sleeve, almost all of the discs fell out onto the floor.
While I like the artwork, I'm not a big fan of this type of packaging, as I, too, do not like to place my fingertips on the discs, and am afraid they will get scratched/damaged if they fall out of the sleeves and onto the floor.
I'm now looking for some sort of 11 or 12-disc DVD or Blu-ray case to house this new Blu-ray set with the original DVD set, as well as the original 2-disc KOTCS Blu-ray. Or find some 4-disc DVD cases for the first three films and bonus discs (and use the inserts from the original DVD release) and a 3-disc BD case for KOTCS.
I agree, and I said this is another thread. Mine fell right out on the floor as well. I have already moved them to alternate packaging. And if dust gets in those carboard sleeves, which it inevitably will, the disc will scrape against it every time it is removed. Even though the digibook format can allow some dust to enter, at least they have a spindle that holds the disc above the surface and allows you to touch it only by the edges.

Real Name
Kenneth Kraly Jr.
The Indiana Jones Films on HD Blu-Ray look and Sound amazing. The new 4K HD master of Radiers Of The Lost Ark and the 1st Indiana Jones films are just fantastic and the job that Ben Burtt and his team at Skywalker Sound did a amazing job restoring the original sound effects for Raiders Of The Lost Ark as well as the other Indiana Jones films for this new Blu-Ray release. Also The Blu-Ray transfers of the Indiana Jones Collection are much better than those compressed HDTV versions that have been showed on USA Network , BBC America and SyFy Network. Also on those broadcasts for the films they compress the audio a lot that's why I don't watch movies on network tv. This Collection is a must own.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
What is it with Lucasfilm and those cardboard sleeves that are an invitation to disc damage? All that's needed is for a piece of grit to get in there and start grinding away every time the disk is removed. Combine that with a loose fit (the disks all slid out at the same time; had my hand not been on that side all would have wound up on the floor) and it's asking for trouble.
I see other complaints about the disks being hard to remove with other folks saying they're held in just fine, which tells me that the quality control is a bit erratic. At least the artwork is better than on the Star Wars set, but that's not enough for me to keep this packaging. Time for a custom cover and a pair of Blu-ray cases (three-disk and two) for the films and a trip to the recycling bin for this packaging. Standard slip cases would have been better.
Do you think maybe George Lucas owns stock in a replacement Blu-ray case company?

Wolfschmidt

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian Williams
I seem to be having more trouble sliding them back in... There is some kind of seam in the sleeves that the discs catch on. You gotta jostle it to slide in.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mark Collins said:
I just purchased mine at Walmart for 64 bucks the same price at Amazon. I was asked as I was checking out if i wanted the 2 year service plan and I would have to pay for it now. I have NEVER been asked this question before on any blu-ray purchase. What is going on? They said it is always asked with video games and now with this bluray so it is up to me. I said no. I said Amazon has always backed their product no matter how old. Can any of you tell me if this has happened to you?????????
A 2 year service plan for a blu-ray? That's a new one on me. BTW, I don't think you can return a defective item to Amazon after a certain period of time. It's going to be a month or two (i forget which). I know that when I go to return an item, there's a time limit.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This is the latest thing at Walmart; they're taking a page out of the GameStop/EBGames playbook in offering a 2-year replacement/service plan on software.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
got mine over the weekend, watching Raiders tonight. Costco had it for cheaper than Amazon, I was pretty surprised.
My only gripe is that it does not include digital copies. Guess I am expected to rip my own?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Great review as always Neil!. I got this set back in September and finally had a chance to watch Raiders last night. I thought it looked great! I didn't see, and I looked for the fly on Belloq, but I was tired too. I'll have to look again! I'm looking forward to The Last Crusade. Then I'll watch the other two.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
I just ordered the set finally. Best Buy has the set on sale for $33. In store pick up only.

Looking forward to finally seeing the set. I kept missing the Amazon sales on the set.

I am really curious to see Raiders in HD and to hear the new sound mix. Can't wait!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We played Raiders and Temple from this set over the weekend. The Raiders disc has problems, 2 different chapters stall and skip portions of the film. Cleaning did not help. Do you suppose I could get a replacement disc from the studio? Anyone have an email for this purpose?

I don’t recall disliking Temple of Doom this much before, I’m usually tolerant of things other people dislike. But Jeez, could there ever be another more irritating female lead than Willie. She literally cries, screams, and whines her way thru the movie. The overall tone is so dark. This franchise is supposed to be fun. Except for the opening musical (I liked it) and the closing action, the fun was missing. I think I’ve watched this movie for the last time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don’t recall disliking Temple of Doom this much before, I’m usually tolerant of things other people dislike. But Jeez, could there ever be another more irritating female lead than Willie. She literally cries, screams, and whines her way thru the movie. The overall tone is so dark. This franchise is supposed to be fun. Except for the opening musical (I liked it) and the closing action, the fun was missing. I think I’ve watched this movie for the last time.
I'm not going to stop watching TOD but I agree with all your criticisms of it.

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I don't mind the darker tone at all, but Kate Capshaw is indeed highly, highly annoying in this film. She's my single biggest criticism of ToD. Other than that I find the film interestingly different than RotLA, which was a hard act to follow. It would have been really easy for the filmmakers to just rehash the first adventure, and even though #2 isn't nearly as good as #1, kudos to everyone involved for taking a few chances and going in a different direction. Except for Kate! <shudder> ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wasn't Spielberg smitten with Capshaw at the time? Then they later married.

I'd imagine he was hesitant to give her much direction or criticism on how her performance was hurting the film if he was in love.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Wasn't Spielberg smitten with Capshaw at the time? Then they later married.

I'd imagine he was hesitant to give her much direction or criticism on how her performance was hurting the film if he was in love.
I don't think Capshaw is the problem - she's playing the character as written. The tone of the entire film is cartoonish. Would anyone else have been much better with the same material? Clearly, they were trying to make her the anti-Marion by having her be a spoiled, helpless, girlie-girl and took it too far.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I’ve watched this movie for the last time.
I’ve never really enjoyed the movie, and it kinda falls into that “Bad Bond Movie” category for me where I nonetheless watch it simply because I’m watching the other films in the series. And while it has individual moments that I enjoy, the whole is always a chore to get through. I’m not even sure what kind of a point I’m making or what I think I’m accomplishing by rewatching it when I’d often rather skip it.

Reactions: Osato and TravisR

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00