What's new

The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020 (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So my son wanted an xbox one for his birthday after playing Forza 5 in the store. His birthday is March 13th so we haven't given it to him yet.

In the meantime, I've been reading up on how to hook it up, how the pass through works, etc.

In some of the reviews I've read, people have gone back to hooking it up as a seperate input rather than using the integrated cable hookup. Some of the reasons were, it was a pain for the rest of the family to use, wife doesn't want to have to go through the extra steps to watch TV, cable image issues (color looks washed out), doesn't pass surround sound.

My wife doen't even watch HD channels because she can't be bothered to memorize them. I've even set up my harmony remote to easily choose her favorite chanels in HD but she won't use it. So having her learn the xbox looks unlikely unless it's easy and works as intended.

So my questions are;
For those who have the xbox one hooked up, do you have it hooked up as intended? If so, why?
Or, did you set it up as a seperate input? If so, why?

Thanks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
MarkMel said:
My wife doen't even watch HD channels because she can't be bothered to memorize them.
Mine too. It drives me nuts!!! And all you have to do is hit "Info" on the cable remote, then "Enter" (the default selection on the Info page for SD channels is "Watch in HD").

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
What's the difference she says. And then gets mad at me for changing it to the HD channel.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Is she a luddite?From what I've read/seen, the Xbox One turns the TV/cable box on when you turn it on, so if you're already using the TV it inadvertently turns it off. Also, the voice commands mean anyone can take over your TV and it can sometimes be tough to figure out. To play a game, you say "Go To ___" but to watch a specific TV channel you say "Watch ___" so sometimes people accidentally say the wrong phrase and their show or game suddenly stops. This sucks especially if you're midway in a game, someone in casual conversation says "I want to watch ___" and then the game just stops without saving or anything.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The UK saw a ~$50 price drop (30 pounds) but the US got a bundle with Titanfall for the same $500 pricetag. Arguably, that IS the price drop.

It's also overpriced overseas. The PS4 is still cheaper than the One in the UK but their converted prices are a couple hundred dollars more than in US.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When Xbox is tanking and Sony is hiring Elop as VP of Consumer Conspiracy, you'll have heard it here first.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Consider Elop had wanted to spin Xbox division off... It makes me wonder...
Makes you wonder what? That he has an idea on how to rescue their XBOX division or that the plans to spin it off or sell it are more than rumour?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Edwin-S said:
Makes you wonder what? That he has an idea on how to rescue their XBOX division or that the plans to spin it off or sell it are more than rumour?
That if his plan was to spin off, he'd be the right person to put in charge.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Looks legit!
sE3dUFc.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks