What's new

Xbox Media Center (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I don't own an xbox but if this thing could do everything an audiotron can do + video then I'll buy one just for this. But it HAS to stream. I'm not coping my huge mp3 list to the xbox HD just to play it.

If it doesn't stream then I'll just keep waiting for the next audiotrons.

And waiting...and waiting...and waiting...

JayV

Supporting Actor
Re: DivX

"[Factor 5]today announced the release of the DivX for Xbox Software Development Kit (SDK)." From a press release on TeamXbox.

So maybe, just maybe, it will be supported in the new media center. Although it remains to be seen whether this stuff will stream or have to be local on the Xbox (feh).

-j

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think the interesting thing in that announcement isn't the DIVX support but that Factor 5 are working on Xbox technology...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Indeed. I hope this means that the new Rogue game is coming to the box. I'm guessing that since DivX is now a legit codec, and many game companies want to use it that MS allowed a port. Whether or not they'll be allowing it in their media center is another story.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Interesting regarding Factor 5 and the XBox. I know they previously had announced they'd developed Divx for the cube. From what I've heard it's going to be used in the Rogue Squadron 3 but that's not been confirmed yet. At any rate, I still think I'm gonna bite the bullet and throw a mod chip in my box but it is nice to know MS is enabling this functionality for those who don't want to go that route.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I hope this means that the new Rogue game is coming to the box
Yeah, and Halo 2 will be on the PS2. Factor 5 makes games and also video/audio compression technology for all 3 consoles, AFAIK (it says that on their website somewhere). They made the SDK for the X-Box, but they used the same technology for a GameCube SDK.

And AFAIK Nintendo has Rogue Squadron games as exclusives.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Divx may happen, but there is zero chance of Xvid and Quicktime support. Xvid is already in XBMP, and Quicktime is in the works.

Using the controller port is just insane.

Still, it's a good option for those that don't want to mod. Kinda embarrasing that the MS program is already outperformed by current freeware though. :D

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks