Xbox Media Center

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by KevinRB, May 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

Regarding E3:

"Microsoft will also introduce the ability to use the Xbox as a media center to listen to music and watch videos. Tentatively dubbed "Xbox Music Mixer", the upgrade allows users to pull music and video files off their computers and put them on the console's 8GB hard disk. The Xbox can then be used as a media center with on-screen displays and auto-identification of songs, sources said".

Anyone else jacked by this? I've been looking for a good way to stream MP3s from my PC to my home theater...

2. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

While I doubt I will personally use the features much, I think it is a great move, as it will bring the features that most people are mod chipping for (MP3 and movie playback) to the average home consumer, who have little interest in opening the sysrtem and / or voiding the warrenty.

All in all, a "media center" has the potential to be a huge selling point, in my opinion.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

If the media center works as well as the XBox Media Player that you can use on a modded xbox then that will eliminate 99% of my interest in modding my xbox. However, I'm guessing it won't play Divx movie files, allow for region free dvd playback, and may or may not play MP3s. Just because it says audio doesn't mean MP3 (it might only play WMV or something like it). Also, since i've got a Macintosh I'm not sure if i'd be able to use this feature anyway.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

It's neat, but how much will it cost?

5. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

I think OXM said it would do MP3's and be priced around $40.

-j

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well if you could put in a bigger HD, 8GB would fill rather quickly with MP3's and videos

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If it'll play MPG and Divx I'll bite. It'd save me a lot of CD-RW burning

8. Dave Bennett

Any ideas when it will be released/officially announced? I'm contemplating modding my XBox after I graduate but if there's going to be a viable option that won't require cracking open my console I'll definately hold off.

9. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

Is there actually a seperate cost for it? I was under the impression it would be part of Xbox Live 2.0 coming out this fall. Just when all our subscriptions are expiring...

10. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    If it doesn't play Mp3, DivX and all other forms of MPEG-4 they can keep it as far as I'm concerned. Also, it would be a real nice to be able to stream the video/music from your computer instead of putting it on the tiny hard drive.

11. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

12. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Yeah, DivX support is a bit of a long shot, since DivX was originally a hack of an MPEG4 codec Microsoft had released but stopped supporting. Recent versions are apparently a completely original codec but with a background like that (and the fact that MS has their own competing codecs) I doubt there'll be any official support for DivX in the Media Center.

I would, however, say that the chances of MS not supporting MP3s are slim to nil. Even though MS has their own competing formats they recognize that MP3 is too big to be ignored -- even the recent versions of Media Player support MP3 playback as part of the basic package.

13. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

It's coming out in September. (there's a feature on it in OXM this month) You can import "properly encoded" video, what that is I guess we'll have to wait & see. It sounds like it's part of the next Xbox Live upgrade, but will also be available separately. (just a guess on my part) Next week, all will be revealed. [​IMG]

copied from my post at LCVG:

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well if it streamed from a PC MP3 server then I'd be all over it. Currently I have my PC with a 200GB partition just for mp3's. This streams via Wireless network over to a Living room and soon a HT Basement PC that I am going to build. If a $150 xbox could act as a front end for this I'd be all over it. But in no way to I want to have to copy mp3's from my large server already offering them.

15. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

16. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I would hope that we'd get that streaming capability but also a good front end. I just don't want the ability of scrolling down and picking a file I would like some organization. Possibly the Album cover and info DL real time from the net or used if available as a jpeg in the mp3 directory. Currently Musicmatch does everythng I need but I would love to have an xbox on my two locations and network them.

17. James St

James St Supporting Actor

18. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

This would be pretty cool if and only if they sould stream from another source.

James, I have been looking for a device like you are mentioning and I have found this one from HP. Pretty cool IMO but I f I can get the same functionality from my XBOX without modding it that would be way cool.

19. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Lee, I haven't seen that HP unit before. It's cheaper then the Audiotron but doesn't have a digital out. There are rumors that TB has a new Audiotron is in the works with a video out for OSD.

Even without streaming, if they allowed file transfer for music via the ethernet connection I would be interested. But if a separate cable is needed then forget it. My pc is in another room and would be pain in the ass to connect to.

20. Dave Bennett

Eh connects to your xbox via the controller port? So I'm guessing it'll be some sort of slow USB transfer solution. That doesn't really help me at all since i have a Mac and I doubt they'll support Mac connectivity. If I mod the box I can transfer/stream stuff using Samba which I have no problem with. Since I'm not done with college until the 16th(man where did the 4 years go?!?) I'll have to wait until then to install the chip anyway so I'll check out the official announcement. It sounds like it'll be cool but won't really do what I want. DivX playback is also a big thing for me as I have all of season 2 of twin peaks in Divx, and it seems the R1 dvds are coming sometime between 2004 and the Apocalypse, so those will have to tide me over in the meantime.