XBOX and DD 5.1 Question????????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewH, Oct 30, 2002.

1. MatthewH

MatthewH Agent

I have my XBOX hooked up to my Integra 7.1 receiver via the optical jack on the XBOX High Def package. When I start up a game the receiver will recognize that it is receiving a Dolby Digital signal. While playing games such as Halo and many others, I can hear the various discrete sounds move from the left front to the right front speaker. However, I do not get sounds from my rear speakers or my center channel. I get sound out of all speakers while watching cable and DVD's. Is this normal?????????

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I get sounds from all my speakers except for the center channel (from what I can tell). My receiver also accepts the XBox as a DD signal.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

many early XB games do not support the center channel

4. MatthewH

MatthewH Agent

how about sound from the rear speakers?? I dont seem to get any sound at all from them ever.

5. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Are your settings in the Xbox dashboard correct? If so, I'm confused why your reciever would downmix a 5.1 signal to 2-channel DD.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Dumb question, Matthew, have you gone into the XBox Dashboad & enabled Dolby Digital in the sound options? I ask because I worried about getting no 'rear action' so to speak & it was because I hadn't selected the correct option there.

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Cortana should be the only sound coming from the center.

Mike

8. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Your footsteps will also come from the center channel if you tilt your view forward (looking at your feet) while moving. Tilt your head back to look at the sky, and you'll hear them coming from the rears.

9. MatthewH

MatthewH Agent

I rechecked my settings and DD is selected. I realize that I am not always going to sound out of the rear speakers, but for some reason I cannot get sound out of them at all. Does anyone have any game suggestions that could be used to check my system. Specific areas of games that feature sounds from the rear speakers would be very helpful. I guess I'll have my wife play I stick my ear next to the rear speakers for a while. It is very perplexing. I continue to hear discrete sounds from my front two speakers and nowhere else. Thanks in advance.

10. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

11. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

My XBox/Denon 3802 would suddenly drop out of DD 6.1 to DPL2 in the middle of a game or more often than not I would get any sound at all when starting up. I found out that it was a faulty Advanced AV Pack. I actually had to go through 3 such packs in order to finally get one that works properly.

12. MatthewH

MatthewH Agent

Got the problem fixed. Don't know what I did, or how I did it but it works. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I can tell a big difference now.