New Sony 32HS500 - Cable & Connection Help???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeteyG, Jan 3, 2003.

1. PeteyG

PeteyG Stunt Coordinator

I am about to purchase the Sony 32HS500 HDTV and I want to be able to hook my system up to get the best out of it. I have listed my equipment below and any advice on the proper way would be great. I will be upgrading my DVD player to a progressive scan shortly, not sure if that will make a difference. Thanks in advance. Here are my components:

TV - Sony 32HS500
    DVD - Pioneer DV533
    VCR - Sony (older model, does have S Video)
    Gaming - XBOX
    Receiver - Marantz SR7000
    Cable - Time Warner Digital Cable (new HDTV converter on the way)

What would the best way to connect everything? Is there a way to connect everything so that when my wife watches TV, she does not need to turn on the whole system, just the TV? If there is a way to do this, then when I watch specific programming that is in DD 5.1, will I still have the option to watch the TV with the sound coming from the system?

Also, if anyone knows of a quiet fan that can assist in cooling my receiver that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get it all correct. Thanks again!!

Peter

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Peter - I'm afraid you have several issues.

3. PeteyG

PeteyG Stunt Coordinator

Bob thanks for the very detailed answer!! Granted I think it may have confused even more :b
    This TV only has 2 HD inputs, so I guess I would need to get one of those HD switchers (I'll read up on this a bit more). Granted I have some time as the progressive scan DVD player won't be here for another month or so.
    Now, if I read your response correctly, the best way to do this would be to run the audio to the receiver and the TV. Realistically, wouldn't I just need to run the audio from the cable box to both?
    I do have a Pronto waiting to be programmed - just need to find the time to do it [​IMG] , so that will help the "wife factor" out tremendously.
    Sorry for the basic questions, I just want to make sure I have this correct. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for all the help.
    Peter

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Sorry about the confusion. Let me tell you what I would do.

I'd buy one of the Audio Authority/Inday/Keoh HD Switch box's. I would run Component Video cables from the outputs of this box to the TV. I'd also run Coaxial Digital cable (A Video Cable) from the box to the DVD Coaxial Digital input on the receiver.

I would feed the XBox, PS DVD player and HDTV decoder to the inputs of the switcher. (Yes, both video and digital audio. Most of these box's have coaxial & optical inputs for each.) The receiver would be left to the DVD source.

This should run you about $180 for the switch box and about $150 for the cables.

Now that leaves the SVhs VCR. You could run SVideo to the TV, and L/R audio to the receiver. You would just have to program a macro to flip the TV and receiver to the VCR inputs.

Is this more clear?

5. PeteyG

PeteyG Stunt Coordinator

Perfectly clear! Thanks so much for the help and the advice. I feel much more comfortable in the decision to get the TV.

Thanks again, just proving that this is without a doubt the best forum on the web!!

I'll report back when I have it all hooked up!

Pete