"forcing" a Dolby Digital input/optical vs. wire?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Romo, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Mike Romo

Mike Romo Stunt Coordinator

hi --
    it's been a long time since I was on the forum. Glad to be back. Now that I have a job again, I am able to start rebuilding my home theatre center. Iam currently using an old Kenwood receiver that has 1 optical input for Dolby Digital (video 3) and 1 coax cable dolby digital input (video 2). The DVD player has optical and coax out, the Xbox only has optical out and composite audio out.

My problem is that I have a DVD player, an XBox, and a TiVo (on the way). I want to have 5.1 sound on both the XBox and the DVD Player and as far as I can tell, there are 2 options:

1 - use a coax cable from my DVD player into Video 2 and use the optical cable from the Xbox into Video 3

but this just seems wrong, doesn't it? to have the optical be used for games and not movies ? I know there is some debate whether or not fiber is "really" better..

the other option, which is why I am posting is:

1 - use the fiberoptic from the DVD player into the receiver and then use a Y-adaptor from the composite audio out from the XBox into the DD coax input (video 2) in the receiver

You guys think this would work? The adaptor is only $5 anyway, I am probably gonna try it, but I figured I would ask the question here before I left work for the store.

anyway, I will post and tell you what happens. I have this sinking feeling that the only way I can really do this is to go with the first option.

hope you are all well and thanks for the help.

mike

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

You cannot take an analog output and input it into a digital input this just simply wont work if I'm following what you are trying to say correctly.

If I'm to understand you correctly you want to take the red/white "L&R" audio cables from your X-Box hook them up to a "y" cable making them one cable to plug into the Coax digital input of the reciever??

If I'm correct in this understanding of your post then as I stated in my first sentence this simply will not in any way shape or form work.

Jeremy

3. Mike Romo

Mike Romo Stunt Coordinator

Yeah...the more I think about it the more stupid it sounds. ugh.

After looking around, I think I am just going to convert the optical signal to coax and deal with it until I get a new receiver. I found one here (thanks to a posting on this board):
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=16151&DID=7

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor