What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (June 7, 2019) (1 Viewer)

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I just think that whoever edited the trailer did such a poor job on it. I'm reminded of that Ghostbusters trailer from Paul Feig. The Dark Phoenix trailer should have had fans excited for the movie but it's had a reverse affect on how I see the movie. It just doesn't inspire me to go out and see this in theaters. There were so many things wrong with the trailer that Fox should have reviewed before releasing it.

The trailer should have started out with the Sh'iar Empire and the Star Jammers becoming aware of the danger of the Phoenix Force, cut to the disaster of the X-Men's shuttlecraft and then cut to some Earth-based action. I also have a feeling that we won't get to see Jean and the X-Men on the moon, where Jean is supposed to sacrifice her life to save the universe from her destructive powers.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
New retro poster unveiled at Brazil Comic Con:

x-men-dark-phoenix-retro-poster.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The first two McAvoy-era films were really good. I hope they can pull this one off. Fox's X-Men series had about a 50/50 track record - it'd be nice to go out on a high note.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It WOULD be nice for them to go out with a good film, but I'm not holding my breath. From what I've seen so far this looks decidedly ho-hum, and I just don't think that Sophie Turner is a very good actress.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am not optimistic about this film.

“X-Men: The Last Stand” tried to and failed completely at telling the Phoenix Saga story. That disaster of a film was written by Simon Kinberg.

This new attempt at telling the Phoenix Saga looks, from the trailers, to have once again completely missed the story.

This new film is both written and directed by Simon Kinberg...

...a man who holds comic book adaptations and science fiction in such low regard that he insists on a title that reads “A Kinberg Genre Production” rather than the traditional “A Simon Kinberg Production” on any film or television work that’s involved with those genres. (When the film is in the drama genre, he does not insist on such billing, making Kinberg yet another example of a filmmaker who holds the material in low regard but is happy to take the paycheck anyway, so long as he can telegraph that he doesn’t consider it a real project.)

X-Men: First Class was absolutely wonderful; Fox made a huge mistake in allowing Matthew Vaughn to get out of his contract early. Imagine how good all of these follow-ups could have been with him at the wheel instead of Kinberg.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There's a new trailer, including a MAJOR SPOILER inside it:

Below the trailer, a quote from an Entertainment Weekly interview with Simon Kinberg where he attempts to justify including the spoiler in the trailer. I've excerpted the only part I can without actually giving away the spoiler here in text, although you'll see it if you watch the trailer.

Simon Kinberg said:
Well, the thought process behind that was to primarily show that this is a movie that is unlike other X-Men movies.

I have to put the link itself inside spoiler brackets, and Kinberg says a lot more in it so I suggest reading all of it if you're interested:

Despite what Kinberg says in defense of the spoiler, I continue to feel like this trailer looks like just another generic X-Men movie. Yeah, the spoiler is a surprise, but aside from that it looks like they're going over the same basic points we've seen before. So far, I'm not really motivated to see this.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Like I said earlier, I want to see this be a good movie. But the trailer gives me pause. As the writer of the last Dark Phoenix movie, X-Men: The Last Stand, Simon Kinberg should be uniquely aware of repeating himself and should be ready to correct what went wrong in that movie. Now, I hate to judge any movie by its trailer, but the scenes outside Jean's childhood home look like they're right out of Last Stand, and then they're followed by a scene of a grave? Does the movie hit the same beats?

I did not put two and two together and come up with the spoiler above. I don't think the trailer gives it away. I watched it twice and it's not precise. (At first, I thought it was Scott, since the movie seemed to be repeating the earlier one anyway.)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah, all this talk of spoilers is in itself spoiling the film. There's nothing in that trailer that gives anything away. We don't actually see anyone die, and although we see a funeral, we don't see whose it is, or what the context of it is. If I hadn't heard anything about the trailer being a spoiler, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

It's like mentioning that a film has a surprise twist at the end, all by itself ruins the twist.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Despite what Kinberg says in defense of the spoiler, I continue to feel like this trailer looks like just another generic X-Men movie. Yeah, the spoiler is a surprise, but aside from that it looks like they're going over the same basic points we've seen before. So far, I'm not really motivated to see this.
For me, the X-Men movies usually are either great or awful. I'll probably see this just because I have so much time already invested in the series. I can't get much of a feel for how this one's going to turn out based on the trailer. Even with Kinberg at the helm, I'm skeptical. While he did write the outstanding Days Of Future Past, he's also written numerous klunkers.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, all this talk of spoilers is in itself spoiling the film.

Well, when I watched the trailer I got the spoiler right away, which might have been an inference on my part but it was there. So I wanted to mention it in case anybody didn't want to watch the trailer in order to avoid it. I'm sorry if that seems like a spoiler to some people. My intent was only to help. If it's less obvious to you, that's good I guess, but it was obvious to me when I saw it, which is why I wanted to word my previous post like I did.

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Well, when I watched the trailer I got the spoiler right away, which might have been an inference on my part but it was there. So I wanted to mention it in case anybody didn't want to watch the trailer in order to avoid it. I'm sorry if that seems like a spoiler to some people. My intent was only to help. If it's less obvious to you, that's good I guess, but it was obvious to me when I saw it, which is why I wanted to word my previous post like I did.

Oh I agree 100% the trailer is absolutely set up to make that inference. But it's not explicitly shown and we all know trailers have been doing misleading edits for decades. Nothing was absolutely concrete in it, until the director out and out said it in a spoiler interview and then everyone started shouting spoilers. :huh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm usually up for these X-Men films, but not this one. I didn't like what I saw in the trailer as I think that spoiler might hurt its box office. I don't know anything about the comics so perhaps that's skewing my enthusiasm for this film.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Honestly Robert, if you knew about the comics - you'd be even less enthusiastic for the film. They're taking one of the greatest X-Men stories of all time and just blowing it. The same writer was responsible for X-Men: The Last Stand (aka X-Men 3), which was also a poor attempt at telling this story.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Why they would use the same guy who wrote the widely-derided X-Men \|/ (Wolverine claws) is beyond me. Are there only two writers in all of Hollywood or something? Give someone else a chance. Where are the women writers?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unfortunately, Simon Kinberg has been running Fox's Marvel properties for years. He was also responsible for the widely-panned Fantastic Four reboot.

He just doesn't hold the material in high regard. That's the first problem.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately, Simon Kinberg has been running Fox's Marvel properties for years. He was also responsible for the widely-panned Fantastic Four reboot.

He just doesn't hold the material in high regard. That's the first problem.
With Disney's acquisition, his Marvel properties reign should be coming to an end.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Honestly Robert, if you knew about the comics - you'd be even less enthusiastic for the film. They're taking one of the greatest X-Men stories of all time and just blowing it. The same writer was responsible for X-Men: The Last Stand (aka X-Men 3), which was also a poor attempt at telling this story.

Strangely, I'll watch anything and everything with Jean Grey--for good or for ill. Jean's my third favourite comic character after Thanos (number 1) and Adam Warlock (number 2). I don't care how many times they kill her, bring her back, or reuse the phoenix storyline: I'm so there.

I will shamelessly admit that this means I'll watch (or read) any crap that gets released. But hey: at least I acknowledge my blindspots, right!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm a DC fan so I don't see every Marvel movie that comes out in the theater. I probably won't see this one either but I do like the trailer. I'll just wait for Blu-ray or streaming. It looks pretty good as far as super hero movies go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks