What's new

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (June 7, 2019) (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Has this actually come out yet?

From all the bitching and moaning, I assume people have seen this.

Or are some people just extremely prejudiced (using the term literally).

For myself, I don’t plan to form an opinion until I’ve seen it (or at least read reviews of people who’ve seen it)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

For myself, I don’t plan to form an opinion until I’ve seen it (or at least read reviews of people who’ve seen it)

Let me know how that works out for ya.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
You and me both.

The animated 90s show did a better job.

I'm still waiting for an X-Men film that can stand with the 90s animated series. It's hard. I think the problem, for me anyway, is that the franchise is just too vast with too many characters to adequately fit into films. The animated series solved this by being a TV show for one thing, and for another by keeping the characters interesting but not too defined. The stories themselves did the heavy lifting. Solid storytelling with lightweight characters to produce a great movie rarely happens (in part because today's storytelling just isn't good enough to compensate).

If anything a live-action series would probably be the way to go. I'd love to see a Marvel or DC live action series done in that down-to-earth style of the 90s animated X-Men or Batman.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Nope, it hasn't come out yet.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
David,
I want to clear something up. When you say people are "bitching, and moaning" about something they have not seen, well they (me) have every right to do so. Without seeing five minutes of this film.

The minute the choice was made to take one of the greatest comic book stories that by and far is much, much better than any thing Marvel has done so far, alter it drastically, and still keep the name "Dark Phoenix" is a low blow. It doesn't make sense. I'm guessing Fox just doesn't care anymore. Had the original story been spread over two movies, and not strayed too far from the source material it would have been pure gold. Without question. The work is already done, they just had to adapt, and film it.
Now if you are not a fan of the original "Dark Phoenix" story arc. More power to you. It may be a decent X-Men film having no knowledge of the original story, or simply not caring. But to fans of the comic book that wanted to see it played out on the big screen, and having a wildly different version of the "Dark Phoenix" then this movie becomes forfeit. The people that care about it do not have a to give a minute of thought--they think it is terrible. Because it is.

Imagine If the first Harry Potter film had taken place primarily in space. Insanely different from the book. Sounds stupid right? You think it might upset a few million fans of the book? Yes, it would. Do you think fans of the book would "bitch, and moan", and have the right to skip the movie and cast negative judgement upon it without seeing it?

This is where I am coming from.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Now if you are not a fan of the original "Dark Phoenix" story arc. More power to you. It may be a decent X-Men film having no knowledge of the original story, or simply not caring. But to fans of the comic book that wanted to see it played out on the big screen, and having a wildly different version of the "Dark Phoenix" then this movie becomes forfeit.

I'm a fan of the source material and I want to see this version play out. Not all fans are equal.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My biggest complaint about them doing this story again (the first time never should have been attempted) is that it makes it much more likely that when the X-Men rights revert to Marvel Studios (next week!), they will not attempt it a third time, even in another 10 years.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
My biggest complaint about them doing this story again (the first time never should have been attempted) is that it makes it much more likely that when the X-Men rights revert to Marvel Studios (next week!), they will not attempt it a third time, even in another 10 years.

Yep, that’s my biggest issue with this existing. I think it’s extremely unlikely that Marvel Studiis ever touches this story now.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm a fan of the source material and I want to see this version play out. Not all fans are equal.

Fair enough

Yep, that’s my biggest issue with this existing. I think it’s extremely unlikely that Marvel Studiis ever touches this story now.

I'm hoping that they just ignore this entry, and hope the public forgets about it and tackle it anyway down the line.
Can you imagine Marvel doing justice to the story? I get chills just thinking about it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Fair enough

I'm hoping that they just ignore this entry, and hope the public forgets about it and tackle it anyway down the line.
Can you imagine Marvel doing justice to the story? I get chills just thinking about it.

I’d hope that maybe someday they’ll be in a position to go there. But if they ever do, it wouldn’t be for quite a long time.

Just look at what they are doing with Spider-Man. They are doing a great version of the character, but they are avoiding some of the staples of his stories like Uncle Ben, Norman Osborne, Octavius, Jameson, etc... because they were prominent in the prior adaptations.

With the Phoenix story, Fox has done it twice now. So I think Marvel will steer clear for a long, long time.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The new poster has some serious Big Head Syndrome:

Dark Phoenix.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, that's a poster... Without the "X-Men" tag on it, they had to show the mutants and hope there's a ton of face/character recognition with the audience. Am I excusing how generic it looks? Maybe a touch. There's nothing about this movie that excites me.

Here's the thing: I'm gonna see Dark Phoenix and hopefully enjoy it. Will I be shocked if I don't? Nope. Will I be surprised if it's half as good as X2 or Days of Future Past? Yep.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I like the poster. No more generic than any of the Marvel posters. In general I find the X-Men movies better than the average MCU movie. Though I still haven’t seen Apocalypse. I hear that was not a good one, but still planning on seeing it at some point. The trailer for this one looks good.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Without the "X-Men" tag on it, they had to show the mutants and hope there's a ton of face/character recognition with the audience.

Or they could just put the X-Men title on there. I don't understand why they aren't doing that.

There's nothing about this movie that excites me.

Agreed.

I'm gonna see Dark Phoenix

Let me know how that works out for you. I'm at the point where I really don't need to see it. I'll be perfectly happy with Late Night that week.

Also, I just noticed that this is opening against The Secret Life of Pets 2. I'm not really into that movie either, but it seems to me like Dark Phoenix might not even open #1. If it doesn't, I think it would be the only X-Men film not to. It will be more interesting to watch how it performs than watching it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Or they could just put the X-Men title on there. I don't understand why they aren't doing that.

Agree. It seems really silly not to be X-Men: Dark Phoenix. I know they expect audiences to figure it out with the circle around the X...but come on. Why not use the name recognition?

Let me know how that works out for you. I'm at the point where I really don't need to see it. I'll be perfectly happy with Late Night that week.

I mean, I'm a completist and I've seen every X-Men movie in the theater going back to the very first. Why should I stop now when I've suffered through the abomination that was "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and the poop-tastic "Apocalypse"? It'll be a preview night movie with A List. I'll enjoy it, say goodbye to this version of the X-Men and move on. There's a lot of geek goodbyes happening this year...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In 2001, Star Trek decided it wasn't going to call its new series "Star Trek: Enterprise," and just went with "Enterprise." They relented two years later. It was foolish. It was obviously part of the larger series.

Dark Phoenix doesn't have two years to get it right. It should be called X-Men: Dark Phoenix. When I inevitably buy the blu-ray, I'm not going to file it under "D," it's going to be under "X."

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
When I inevitably buy the blu-ray, I'm not going to file it under "D," it's going to be under "X."
Definitely!

Re: X-Men title for the theatrical run
I don’t care, I probably will see it at the movies and that’s the end of it.
Someday Marvel/Disney will do a reboot of the whole thing and we and they will start anew.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks