What's new

X-Box controller haters, REJOICE!!! (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Well, I took the plunge and ordered two of these things. Trying to play NHL 2002 is almost impossible with the XBox controller. Every time I try to "speed burst" I pass :angry:
Anyways, I sprung for the "fast shipping" and I'll post a review when they arrive.

DylanG

Auditioning
If you find the standard controller too big then you may like the one from Thrustmaster. I find it a lot more comfortable and it doesn't feel cheap like most 3rd party accessories.

-Dylan

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Well, I received my "converters" this afternoon. After spending just a brief time with them and NHL 2002, I can say that they are awesome! If you don't like the XBox controller and DO like the PS2 controller, get this product!

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Ike,
I believe they are assigned to the R1 & L1, if not then the R2 & L2. NHL 2K2 doesn't use those buttons during gameplay (at least not that I can recall) but I will confirm.
It's actually quite a simple little add-on but it works great. I love the PS2 controller and this makes it perfect for my new favorite system :)

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm person #9 who loves the xbox controller. Still, I'll be buying the Japanese controller (2 of them) when I'm over there next week on launch day. Akihabara should be fun!!

I'm mainly getting 2 for comparison and one for my girlfriend. I'm hoping to try them out on a display console first though. I doubt I'll switch to the smaller controller as I find that the US controller is so comfortable even after playing for hours.

I also highly doubt the Japanese controller will become the default one here in the US. I can see it being for sale, but not as the standard controler. We'll see, I guess.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Hey, Rob, I appreciate your feedback because I am thinking about picking one of these up myself. I love the Xbox controller for games like Halo and Gotham, but for other games like Tony Hawk and SSX Tricky, I find the shoulder buttons on the PS2 controller much easier to use. I wonder if you could comment on something:

Somehow I got the idea that only the digital buttons on the Xbox controller would map to the PS2 one, which means just the D-pad and the face buttons. Not the triggers. Which also means I wouldn't be able to play Tony Hawk because the triggers are used to spin. Is that what you are finding?

Also, is there any option to which buttons map where? Like instead of mapping the "Y" button to the triangle, could I map it to a shoulder button? That would make SSX Tricky a lot easier! (I can't see that there would be, but I thought I would ask.)

If you get the chance to post any additional observations or to share your thoughts on my questions, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Dave

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Dave, Ill check these things. I've been somewhat engrossed in FFX so I haven't spent much time with the XBox as of late. I just verified that the adapter worked. If I recall correctly, the adapter came in a package with all the button mapping layed out on the back of the package. Im 99.9% all buttons are mapped to the PS2 controller - and they are pretty much where you would expect them to be - aside from the black and white buttons (on the shoulder).

Like I said, I'll double check and post here later.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
For the record:

White Button - L1 shoulder button on PS2 controller

Black Button - R1 shoulder button

L2 shoulder on PS2 = L shoulder button on XBox

R2 shoulder on PS2 = R shoulder button on XBox

You can also map any button to any configuration you want. This adapter is without limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks