What's new

X-10 lighting question (1 Viewer)

SimonT

Grip
I've had the x-10 control unit and lamp modules for awhile. The other night I was watching Stir of Echoes and my lights went on then dimmed. It scared the shit out of me because of that damn movie but I figured that someone around me must have bought a similar lighting control setup. I went to all my neighbors houses and low and behold....my neighbor from across the street has the same set up. Almost everytime he uses his lighting control, mine activates as well....and vice versa...when I use my lighting control, I activate his. I would say that our lighting units are about 150 ft. away from each other.
Anyone have any suggestions? Is there another device that I can purchase that won't interact with my neighbor's?
What's wierd is that if I walk across the street and point my pronto remote at his house and turn the lights on and off, nothing happens...it only happens when we are in our own houses.
------------------
MY HOME THEATER
[Edited last by SimonT on July 13, 2001 at 02:19 PM]

Ian R

Agent
I'm relatively new to X-10, but try changing house codes from A to b or C, etc.
Good luck,
Ian

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Changing house codes like Ian suggests should work fine...just agree ahead of time which letters you each will be using.
If that doesn't work out, you will have to get an isolation device installed on your electrical main by a licensed electrician. This will block any X-10 signals from coming in or leaving your house via your electrical wiring.
The Pronto works off of IR (infared light) which is then interpereted by the IR543 which sends out X-10 signals on your house electrical wiring, so it won't work in the street....just like your TV remote...It won't work if it can't see the IR sensor.
Good luck!
Michael
------------------
[Edited last by Michael Johnston on July 13, 2001 at 03:32 PM]

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
This happened to me too recently...
my lights started turning on and off on there own. I live in an apartment, and think someone just moved in. I could have just changed my house code and solved the problem, but a few of my X-10s are hard to get to... AND besides I was there first
biggrin.gif

So I had a little X-10 war... Anything he/she activated, I instantly turned back off and vice versa. This lasted about 15 minutes and then stopped, and hasn't happened again since...
That'll teach 'em
biggrin.gif

--kyle

SimonT

Grip
That's funny Kyle :) ....thanks Kyle and Michael...I changed the codes to E....let's hope it works....sounds like it will...I can't believe I didn't think to do that!
Thanks guys.
------------------
MY HOME THEATER

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks