What's new

Budget home theater in a small room. Aucustic dampeners. (1 Viewer)

ZtriDer

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Hi.

I was wondering if there are anyone here who can help me a bit about acoustic dampeners.
I am making a home cinema in a small room in my basement where 3 of the walls are made of concrete walls, that creates a horrible acoustic. I am making my own acoustic panels, they will be 60cm x 120cm. I have already made two for the back wall and it helped a lot, but the sound in the room is still too "blurry/echoey/mushy" and I want to tighten it up a bit.
This is what the front wall looks like.

Question is, does it matter where I put up acoustic panels on the front wall? If not, where would be the best spot to put up the panels?
Front wall is a light wood wall. 10 cm thick.

Best regards.
Robert

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unfortunately, it looks like the best, first place for panels isn't possible in your room. That's the first reflection off the side walls. To find that, have someone hold a mirror against the side wall while you sit in the main viewing position. The spot where you see the speaker on that side of the room is the first reflection. You can do that with the ceiling as well.

Actually, concrete walls aren't necessarily bad. For one thing, they don't resonate. The problem is more the size of the room and absence of sound absorbing surfaces. One thing to try is move the L&R speakers forward, away from the front wall. Try moving them 6" at a time. You should find a spot where they mellow out a bit.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Based on your actual picture, looks like you haven't actually toed-in your front LR speakers despite the diagram. Maybe that would help some too, especially since you're running your setup in such a wide-ish (or shallow) config. But you'd probably need to move the subwoofer a bit further away from that front right speaker though since it's probably in the way somewhat...

_Man_

ZtriDer

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Thanks, for answers, I have towed the speakers more inn than how it looks on the pictures, and I can't bring the speaker too far aout from the wall, as it will get so close to the sitting position. The room is too small -_-
But, if I want to try to hang up two, or three more panels on the front wall, where would you suggest that I hang them up?

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
You might also consider an area rug for most of the room with a pad underneath. Lowes and Home Depot have a good selection. Some echo and reflection is desirable-we don't live in an anechoic world. A good part of what you hear in a small room is echos that occur after more than one reflection. Deadening the floor echo will help, and treating two adjacent walls would also decrease repeat echo and reverberation. You could get creative and do something like a book shelf covering one wall to break up and absorb sound waves. Doing treatment in stages could minimize what you might find necessary.

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
I have a video on how I made my cheap panels that eliminated slap echo if you're interested. They are still great "acoustic" panels. I say slap echo because people have gotten completely bent out of shape because of the materials I used with almost the same results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks