What's new

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
More on Mac Pro expandability:
“The new Mac Pro can add 32TB of storage with this hard-drive-filled MPX Module - The Verge”

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...tb-pegasus-mpx-module-storage-hard-drive-raid
So this I really didn't realize - looks like the new MacPro can be a full fledged replacement for the up to 2012 Cheese Grater. Yes, price may be daunting, but if I were to add up all the disk drives, etc. spending on my Mac Pro for the last decade, it probably adds up to at least as much as the new upfront cost.

I already knew that it had internal SATA support, but didn't realize there were internal drives possible as well - I was thinking about a bunch of PCIe based 3rd party SSDs. (And given enough time it would switch to a SSD only future)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It should be very quiet. It looks like they went back to the cheese grater design of large fans running slow. FWIW, the new Mini is very quiet, but you do hear it when processing video.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So this I really didn't realize - looks like the new MacPro can be a full fledged replacement for the up to 2012 Cheese Grater. Yes, price may be daunting, but if I were to add up all the disk drives, etc. spending on my Mac Pro for the last decade, it probably adds up to at least as much as the new upfront cost.

I already knew that it had internal SATA support, but didn't realize there were internal drives possible as well - I was thinking about a bunch of PCIe based 3rd party SSDs. (And given enough time it would switch to a SSD only future)
What was unclear to me initially, and my initial negative reaction, was the confusion over whether these were some unique Apple-owned expansion ports, that could only be used if/when Apple released new gear. But it appears third parties can and are releasing MPX expansions straight away. If the market is there then, this could allow for good options for pros to upgrade their Pro machines.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
In fact, you can have 4 spinning HDs in the new Mac Pro - same as the old one, and probably be much quieter by comparison - the new big slow fans have are superb. Don't even ask the price, but I have a feeling that by the time its out OWC will have much more reasonable priced internal storage than what they are likely to charge for this: https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...rst-internal-hard-drive-sleds-for-new-mac-pro

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was able to relax and watch the keynote one evening this week. I'm more enthused about the announcements after watching the whole presentation, and getting everything in a fuller context.

The claimed 50% reduction in app size and 30% decrease in launch times is amazing. Every phone gets faster and more free storage this Fall. Wow. That of course also cuts against the ignorant popular view that Apple is trying to make its devices work worse every year. That will be a nice little help if I decide to keep my 8+ a third year, to help keep the phone feeling fast against the normal performance loss with annual increases OS and app complexities.

I'm still more positive about "iPadOS". I'm of the view that it's an important marketing symbol and also an important symbolic banner for within Apple that the iPad isn't big-iPhone thing they think about secondarily every couple years. This signifies it's a platform unto itself and needs real updates and improvements annually. As tvOS, the name is no guarantee, but I think "iPadOS" is Apple telling itself, as much as its developers and customers, that the new plan is to be more attentive and creative with the iPad as a whole.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
My biggest problem with iPadOS right now, and therefore the thing I most want worked on in the next iteration, is this view with the pinned widgets...
D5D07CBC-1EF2-4E4E-A833-47D5474C430F.jpeg

Just from a purely aesthetic point of view, that is a design mess. Potentially useful widgets that need to be scrolled through to see all of them, a mass of apps on the right, a second line of apps across the bottom..

Yuck...

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I never use widgets so it doesn't bother me

I use them on my iPhone quite a bit. It's nice to be able to see a sports score, or stock/news headlines, or the weather for the next hour, or if a package has been delivered, without having to launch an app.

I look at them as watch complications for a larger screen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t use them as much on my iPad, but maybe that will change. I’m really thinking about an 11” Pro with Apple keyboard cover this Fall.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Out of all the Apple things ever introduced, a $999 STAND for a monitor may be the most apple thing, ever.

It does seem high. The $199 VESA mount adapter also seems priced on the high side, but you could, perhaps, combine it with an under-$800 third party stand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks