What's new

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I remember you mentioning that but I've never used anything other than standard outlook from our Corporate Office 365 account, and I have no signatures/images/tracking pixels/etc. I even use the web version vs. the client so literally all that's available to me is what's on their default web client.

I tagged you cause you were part of the conversation not because you were employing it. Sorry for confusion. The only person I know who was employing it was Ron and he didn't understand the implications of what he was doing. I hope the article sheds a good light on why I really really hope that users with good intentions will never use this software, and I am resigned to blocking this 'feature' from those who do.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The best part of Mike's exposé:
A good ethics test for investors, employees & users of Superhuman. If you use SH’s default spyware behavior, you should be willing to change your signature to this:

- Sent via Superhuman. Every time you open this email, the time and your location are sent to me.

Who’s first?
Now that would be an awesome signature.

- Posted via Superhuman. Every time you read this post, the time and your location are sent to me.
:rolling-smiley:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can wait until next year to upgrade.

Yeah, I was hoping to upgrade this year if a 16-inch was in the cards (and I think it will)...

...however unless there is a newly designed scissor keyboard this year, I can't see purchasing a new laptop until the revision.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...coming-in-october-for-over-3000-claims-report

New report on the upcoming 16-inch model.

A few things bother me here...

1. The price. Pretty outrageous, but I was prepared.
2. No OLED. At that price point, you would hope Apple would have implemented it.
3. Probably the 2019 keyboard design.

As much as it would hurt to do so, I may have to wait for next year's refresh when OLED and a new keyboard is implemented.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...coming-in-october-for-over-3000-claims-report

New report on the upcoming 16-inch model.

A few things bother me here...

1. The price. Pretty outrageous, but I was prepared.
2. No OLED. At that price point, you would hope Apple would have implemented it.
3. Probably the 2019 keyboard design.

Seems like it ought to have a 17" display with 3840x2400 pixels. That would make it a true successor to the old 17", 1920x1200 pixel MBP – giving it UHDTV resolution plus a bit extra in the vertical direction (for a 16:10 aspect ratio).

3072x1920 pixels just doesn't seem like much of an increase over 2880x1800.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Keep in mind that hardware supply side rumors are pretty good. But not perfect. They've gotten it really wrong at times. And I think they're pretty terrible at the marketing and sales side of things: don't trust rumors on supposed pricing.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The fact you can no longer replace the hard drive (well, SSD) on Apple's laptops is a deal-killer for me. No 'touchbar' MBPs for me, ever, unless they make the primary storage drive swappable again.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I totally get the geek mindset that you have to be able to fiddle with the insides. And the 'right to repair' too.

But Apple ain't going back.

You can either choose to live with it or go with a different vendor.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Many more escalating rumors about the upcoming 16-inch MBP are being reported.

The latest -- which at first did not make sense to me -- is that there will be a September launch instead of October.

This means no big release announcement.

If I remember correctly, this is how the 2018 MBP was announced. I think it was done with no fanfare. In fact, I think I got an instant message from Sam Posten telling me to go to the Apple Store as they just put it up for sale.

I am hoping that this is the way Apple will launch the product. No fanfare. Just launch it a month early.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
More leaks coming out on the 16" MBP...

https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/06/16-inch-macbook-pro-processor/

Not sure if it's a good thing that the same chips being used in this year's refresh are being used in the new 16" model. I am really not up on the latest chips.

With a September launch date looming I am about a week away from selling my current MBP. I want to get the best price for it before everyone else starts trading in theirs, thus lowering the demand.

I have a backup Macbook that I can use for the next month or so until the announcement.

Now to spend some time comparing online sale sites to see who will give me the best price.

Users who are viewing this thread