1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

My main disappointment: they *still* haven't upgraded Apple Maps to include bike lanes/directions, which Google Maps already had when Apple Maps was first introduced. All their other Apple Maps improvements, including the ones they just announced have been fine, but considering how important bike transportation is in many places outside of Cupertino California, it baffles me.
    See:

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The reason Apple doesn't innovate on Mail is cause they can't control the whole stack.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Explain that. I don't know what that means.

I actually have to pay $70 a year to use a plug-in that makes Apple Mail everything it should have been on its own.

Look up Mailbutler

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Something must have gone very wrong for Apple’s video pipeline today: keynote isn’t up yet. It’s normally online within an hour or three of presentation. But it’s ten hours later and still an empty page stating it will be up shortly.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    This bullshit can fuck right off. You start using this shit and you can expect to get put on spam block lists.
    Apple cannot innovate in mail because the fundamental infrastructure for mail is:
    - developed in the 70s
    - disintermediated (ie everyone can run their own server)
    - profit free unless you layer ads on top

Could they develop their own new protocols? Sure, but getting everyone else in the world to adopt it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I’d almost believe that except for: Finder. That’s literally their whole stack. And they haven’t done any real innovation on that since ... NeXTSTEP?

I see more a growing lack of interest in the little things as their software and hardware scope expands. Small quirks and bugs and feature gaps linger for years on pedestrian software. Music app is the other big problem to me. The iOS app is getting worse and worse each year as Apple stops caring about people’s own music collection and wants everyone to subscribe to their streaming service.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yeah I mentioned that a couple of pages ago and am similarly disappointed. For a company that is as “green friendly” as Apple claims to be, you’d think they’d support cyclists more.

8. Carlo Medina

Also I can’t help but laugh at the name. Because I went there with an ex girlfriend many years ago and found it to be utterly dull and boring. I came back telling friends I didn’t understand what the hubbub around Catalina was...and one of them goes “oh, you mean where spring break goes to die?” :rolling-smiley:

I’ve never forgotten that experience or that quote. So I guess this will be known to me as MacOS Wherespringbreakgoestodie

9. Carlo Medina

They clearly aren’t rendering it on a NEW MAC PRO. :laugh:

DaveF likes this.
  10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Carlo Medina likes this.
  12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Wow, Sam. A little harsh.

Been using it for the past three years with no issues.

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Because you don't care about privacy or security. I've installed Chrome blockers so none of this bullshit gets through.

Seriously, "This should have been available by default" is so infuriating.

14. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

That language is harsh, but I think that he was referring to the practice of embedding links to nearly-invisible (1 pixel) images in e-mail. Probably he has nothing against what the rest of that application does, per se.

Embedding links to 1-pixel images is a favorite of all sorts of spammers and scammers. If your e-mail client automatically loads images, then as soon as it loads a 1-pixel image in a piece of spam, the retrieval confirms that there is someone reading the mail. Once a spammer knows that someone is reading the mail (either through this trick, or bogus "unsubscribe" links), they will send lots more. It's a bit like the game now where telemarketers call you, but use machines so that they don't "waste" their "precious" time until they detect you (the intended victim) answering.

Some clients, including Apple Mail, allow you to turn off automatic display of images. But then you pay with your convenience to repel spammers' attacks on you.

Given this, I fully understand why people regard links to 1-pixel images with fear and loathing … and would not want legitimate applications to make use of a technique so closely associated with the scum of the Earth.

Sam Posten and Carlo Medina like this.
  15. Carlo Medina

That is one serious piece of hardware, so I am not surprised at how positive the reviews are. I just wish they had a build at a lower starting price point, like $3999. I think the old cheese grater Mac Pro (before the Vader Garbage Can model) started at $2799. There is just such a huge gap between the iMac and the Mac Pro. And the iMac Pro, while powerful, is essentially non-upgradable, and also starts at $4999. I'd be interested to see if iMac Pro sales become non-existent once the Mac Pro comes out.

DaveF and Sam Posten like this.
  16. Carlo Medina

I was Today Years Old when I learned this. I don't use that (or any other similar program, just vanilla outlook 365 for work) but that was super interesting to read about.

Sam Posten likes this.
  17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Thank you, exactly.

18. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I think you might be stuck a little in the past regarding the necessity of internal storage. Ten years ago there weren't external bus options like Thunderbolt 3. Massive internal storage is a thing of the past. I've been making that transition for years now, once I installed the first SSD drive in a Mini. The high cost and small capacity of SSDs then made in implausible to use them for all your storage, but the performance benefits were worth the effort. These days, it makes sense to use an internal NVMe drive only for OS and apps, which is what I do. In any case, it appears to me that the new Pro has a myriad of ways for the user to add more internal storage at non-Apple prices. It's the most easily accessible Mac ever made. You know places like Other World will have their own options by the time the new Pro is released.

I think it's safe to say the endless reports of Apple's abandonment of the Pro customer were slightly mistaken. I have to say, last year's Mini is damn near perfect, and the new Pro might be perfect. Price not withstanding, but it is Apple.

DaveF likes this.
  19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    A coworker is a hobbyist video maker — shoots and edits videos and trailers for his kids’ soccer. I think he’s on an old cheese grater or trash can Pro. He’s been anxiously waiting for new pro hardware to upgrade his video editing machine, and make the jump to 4K.

And he’s really confounded by the current options with the new Mac Pro coming in at $6000 min, and still no consumer monitor (as he says, he’s an Apple guy, so why is Apple happy with him seeing “Dell” as the user-facing logo?)

He’s trading between an top-end i9 iMac, entry iMac Pro, or entry Mac Pro. All in the $4000 to $6000. But all with distinct tradeoffs for RAM, storage, and upgradeability. A big part is his, maybe old school, need to have 1TB to 2TB local storage for in-process work, in addition to external storage. I don’t know from video editing so I can’t help him except to suggest looking at the high speed NAS and RAID boxes and consider smaller SSD to have more buying options.