What's new

WTF?!? WINDEX Ad On CDN Big Fat Greek Wedding! (1 Viewer)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Bought this for my lady-friend for Valentine's Day, so it belongs to her, otherwise, it'd be going back to the store, and f**k you very much.
I can live with the various forced trailers on Disney and Universal discs (I can always skip forward) becuase trailers are a part of the movie experience. But the commercial for Windex Wipes, a product I'll now never buy, which immediately precedes the movie on the Canadian dvd (widescreen version is the one we have; I understand that the American version has both WS and P&S versions on one disc) of My Big Fat Greek Wedding is the last straw. I paid my money for the friggin' disc, and the price I paid was full, so why the f**k do I have to sit through more commercials? I've been watching less and less network television to escape the endless ads and network promos, and thought that DVD was the solution. Looks as though I'm wrong...
Cheers.

DS.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I know. I was as shocked as you are when I saw the commercial....I mean when you hit the PLAY button, you expect to watch a movie, not a commercial.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I noticed a year ago that commercials were making their way to movie theaters. I guess you can't get away from them, damn those advertisers:thumbsdown:

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was kind of funny....especially if you've seen the movie before.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
They better not start that shit in the U.S. or else they'll find themselves short at least one customer. If they want to give me the movie for free, I'll think about watching it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to watch a commerical in my own living room.

Juan C

Second Unit
I watched the movie yesterday and I thought 'WTF?' when I saw the Windex commercial, but in the context of the movie and especially the father's penchant for Windex as a cure-all, I think it was somewhat funny, a bit like the "Don't try this at home" public announcement before The Fast and the Furious.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ I guess it was context-appropriate. But I would have appreciated it if they had included the commercial maybe before the menu selection screen or something...but NOT when you select "Play Movie"

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
To me, it was "almost" akin to the DTS or Dolby Digital trailer playing before the movie.

This wasn't a "typical" commercial, but one that, to me anyway, appears to have been made specifically with this release in mind. (For those that haven't seen it, basically, someone "cleans" the inside of your television screen for you).

I'm not saying I like forced commercials, but this one seemed different.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
To me, it was "almost" akin to the DTS or Dolby Digital trailer playing before the movie.
Almost...

...except DTS & Dolby exist to enchance the movie-viewing experience. The inclusion of their trailers are more like the Studio logo appearing before the feature. They accompany the film as part of it's technical production.

The Windex commercial however is a pure product-placement in this film, a commercial for which is shameless marketing ploy.

Moe.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Forced watched studio trailers,now commercials,whats next ? Public service announcements. Studios listen up. If you continue to add the commercials, You will not be getting any of my disposable income. I hope Johnson and Sons paid you well. You just pissed off a decent portion of your customer base.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Grrr.......this is bad news but I can't say that I am overly surprised.

You know, my biggest fear is that Minority Report's vision of the inescapable advertisement future will someday become a reality....

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You just pissed off a decent portion of your customer base.
I suspect the vast majority of their customer base will shrug their shoulders and get on with enjoying the movie.

Did anyone try hitting chapter skip or fast forward?

M.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

Some players are programable so that after you play a disc once, the player can 'remember' where the start of the movie is. You could use this to skip it. If using an HTPC, I know theatertek has this functionality.

Matt

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
RE: Commercials hitting the movie theater.

I was so damned surprised at the amount of commercials, not to mention previews, that I had to sit through when I went to go see Episode 2. Sure, some of them where fun, but I'm surprised there wasn't a mini riot with people shouting, 'Get on with it already!' Happened More with episode 1, but it did happen with the sequal.

Isn't there some kind of regulatory area of that industry that can put a hold on this type of thing? I havn't gone to the movies as much since DVD became more prevalent, and after that experience, I really don't miss it that much. I mean, who wants to sit through 2 minutes of commercials?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks