What's new

WTF?!? WINDEX Ad On CDN Big Fat Greek Wedding! (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Given that I normally hit the chapter forward button as many times as is necessary to hit the main menu, anyway, a skippable commercial is the same as a skippable studio logo to me.

I mean, who wants to sit through 2 minutes of commercials?
Probably not many people, which is why I tend to continue whatever conversation I was having with my companions at the point the commercials begin. It doesn't affect my life, so I couldn't care less whether the theater runs them.

DJ

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I've been wondering about this for a while, but... how safe is it to spray Windex on skin? Isn't there a warning label on the bottle stating it could be corrosive? I know that Windex contains a high concentration of ammonia, so wouldn't you get a bad skin rash?

Somehow, I can't understand how Windex could promote a film condoning the use of its product in an unsafe manner.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Are you telling me that in the US you never had commercials in the movie theater before? Wow. In Germany, there have always been commercials (well, as long as I live anyway), and they usually last up to 20 minutes! And that's excluding previews, so usually you're bombarded with about half an hour of crap before the movie starts. And ticket prices are pretty much the same as in the US.

Chris

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Wait, is this outrage for real? And if so, have you seen the movie? Windex was as much a part of the movie as Greece was. I think it is hysterical that they have the ad on there. Nothing wrong with it.

Remember, VHS continually had 20 minutes of ads and trailers before the film began when they went to sell through pricing. That is what the FF button is for.

Besides, the multiple opening logos is far more offensive than an ad that is about a product that is used continually throughout the film.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Remember, VHS continually had 20 minutes of ads and trailers before the film began when they went to sell through pricing. That is what the FF button is for.
Oh yes, I remember VHS and I have no desire to return to those days thank you very much.
I think the point of complaining is that if we don't raise our voices in protest you might not be able to simply press the FF or CF button in the future.
Me personally, I see DVD as a film lovers medium and nothing sullies the mood of a good film like a Pepsi or Coke commercial. It pisses me off in the theater and it will piss me off when and if it happens on DVD or HD-DVD.
I'm sorry to say that IMO it isn't really a question of if but only when.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ it's not an outrage, it's more of a discussion. The windex ad is not like other normal commercials since it doesn't play when you pop in the dvd, but when you select the "Play Movie" on the menu. It was made in a way that you don't really know it's an ad until you've already watched it. I didn't know that wasn't supposed to be there until I saw the "Windex" logo.

It's no big deal, and I'm not "outraged", but it's just funny that they've decided to place an ad where you least expected....I guess the marketing team is pretty smart in a way.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
it's not an outrage, it's more of a discussion. The windex ad is not like other normal commercials since it doesn't play when you pop in the dvd, but when you select the "Play Movie" on the menu. It was made in a way that you don't really know it's an ad until you've already watched it. I didn't know that wasn't supposed to be there until I saw the "Windex" logo.
Well on a lot of DVDs, if you hit "Play Movie" it will go through all the different logo screens. Like, Miramax Home video, then finally the Miramax Pictures presents.

With Universal, they have that long opening, with the clips from all the Universal films when you hit Play Movie.

The best thing to do is just go into scene selection and hit chapter 1, so you can skip all of that.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised at the number of people here willing to roll over whenever the studios pull some kind of crap.

They better not start that here or they will piss this customer off BIG TIME.

Dan

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Gee, again I can't help but reiterate how commercials in theaters (and maybe now on DVD's) would be completely unnecessary if the "talent" (mainly actors) weren't being paid up to 25 million dollaras for a few month's work.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Considering that MBFGW is now the fastest selling comedy DVD ever (4 million in five days), the Windex commercial doesn't seem to be hurting them too much.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I've been watching less and less network television to escape the endless ads and network promos
/agree with this too. Is a very major reason I don't bother with tv for the last five years or so. Why should I bother, since the hour will be almost half non-content?

DVD means I bought the disc. I paid for it. The studio was paid by me for it.

They should not sell my attention that I've paid them for to a third party.

Period.

Commericals do not belong on discs.

I'm gonna be very irked if I have to get a burner and start "fixing" my DVDs.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
You all seem surprised there is commercials on DVDs. I seem to remember many a commercial on my old VHS tapes I rented here and there. I didn't purchase as many of them back then.

There are commercials in front of a movie after you plunk down $8 - $10 yet I don't see any complaining about that either.

At least you can fast forward/chapter skip out of the things.

But yes, I agree, they must go. But they won't listen to us will they? I mean if they did, we'd still have widescreen/full screen on one disk and they'd actually release only one special edition and it'd be done right too instead of the special/ultimate/extreme type editions they seem to be doing.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
DVD means I bought the disc. I paid for it. The studio was paid by me for it.
But, without that commercial, you may be paying MORE for the disc. If it can save a few dollars on the price of a DVD, I would have no problem with ads on there. Skip over them.

Indian DVDs have tons of ads on them, they can all be skipped over. And the discs all run under $15.

Same with movie theatres and ads before films. If you didn't have them, you'd be paying twice the ticket cost. Just plan on getting to the movie ten minutes after the start time and you won't have to sit through them.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I don't mean to piss anyone off, but I can't believe the amount of angst being spent on this.

God forbid we should have to hit the 'chapter skip' button once or twice. It's such a hardship. :rolleyes

And no, I don't see that as "rolling over" for studio crap. I'm as big a studio critic as anyone, and I despise the 10 minutes of commercials and such prior to a movie in the theatres... but hitting the ol' skip button isn't a big deal to me. Sorry. Now, if they had set it up so that you could NOT FF or skip, but were FORCED to watch the ad... THEN I'd have an issue with it. Or if there were MORE of them. But having to skip 30 seconds? I have bigger things to worry about in my life. ;)

Personally, I found the ad funny, when taken in context with the movie.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>You all seem surprised there is commercials on DVDs. I seem to remember many a commercial on my old VHS tapes I rented here and there. I didn't purchase as many of them back then.>

Yeah, but with VHS, we can fast forward. With DVD/DVHS, there are/mabye ways to program it so you CAN'T skip all the commercials and logos. Almost as annoying as having adds for Joe Millionaire(a show most people would probably avoid) playing across my Simpsons Episode that I'm trying to watch.

>But yes, I agree, they must go. But they won't listen to us will they? I mean if they did, we'd still have widescreen/full screen on one disk and they'd actually release only one special edition and it'd be done right too instead of the special/ultimate/extreme type editions they seem to be doing.>

My theory as to why studios do this? There's no real reason to RE purchase a DVD, like there was with VHS. Most people buy it once, and it's good for a few decades down the line. The only reason to re-purchase it, is if something happend to the cover art, a d isc got damaged, etc. With these super duper editions, they'll make more sales because it's new content people havn't seen.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Have you ever bought a magazine or a newspaper?
Hehe Nice! I'll put my $.02 in here. I completely hate going to a theatre and seeing in our area (Washington state) roughly 10-20minutes of commericals, I've got no problem with the previews but the last thing I wanna do when going to the theatre is watch 20 minutes of t.v. commericials with horrid transfer quality etc for products I could give a rats a$$ about. I've stopped seeing movies in the theater for many reasons this just being one of them, but another big one up here is that most theaters up here are Regals and the nice thing about Regal is they either zoom or crop the picture when you go to see a movie and never show it in the proper aspect ratio not to mention that they heat damage there prints from using lamps too large to get them to project on such a large screens. you all should check out Kodak's site about this its quite disturbing how Regal truely ruins the movie experience. At anyrate I've pretty much resorted to waiting on the DVD release these days, that way I get proper aspect, better sound, no screaming kids, no sticky floors and hell I can smoke during a movie to boot! hehe

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
God forbid we should have to hit the 'chapter skip' button once or twice. It's such a hardship
One thing that is safe to complain about is how on some DVDs (like Mulholland Drive)there are no chapters at all. That is far worse than an ad.

Users who are viewing this thread