What's new

Worth it to build 'small' satellite speakers? (1 Viewer)

BenG

Agent
I'm in the market for some very small speakers to serve in a 5-channel setup (preferably going to get all 5 of the same speaker). Since I have an SVS 20-39, I have no real need for big floorstanders, nor will I have the room for them. My setup is used for about 60% music, 40% HT. With the bass end taken care of by the SVS, I'm looking for a small (the smaller the better!) satellite speaker that will "wow" me with incredible mids and highs :)
I see that there are several nice offerings from NHT/Energy/Norh/etc. Speaker-building has always been something that I would like to give a try though, and I'm wondering if I will be able to build something comparable or better, for the same amount of money (or less). Anyone have any recommendations on some good kits, or a good place to get drivers and cabinets and such?

Cam S

Screenwriter
Check out the Klipsch Quintets, they are incredibly small and have their own swivel wall/shelf mount already on them, and they sound awsome for little moolah.
www.Klipsch.com

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I don't see the quintets or any other satellite speakers matching well with the SVS. I would suggest small bookshelf monitors. You may want to look at ACI Emeralds, Adire Audio also has a kit. Speakerpage.com I'm told is a great value and a great sounding bookshelf kit.

I personally chose GR-Research.com for my DIY kit. They are very highly regarded with many of the DIY'rs on the Madisound board and at AudioAsylum. A real bargin too.

I will write up a review shortly for my MB1's and AV1 monitors.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Quintets have a hornish sound that some people love and others hate. I haven't heard them, so I can't personally comment.

I do however own some take-5's. For what they are, they are awesome. One obvious thing to remember is that the smaller the speaker, the higher the XO you will need. You can cross the energies to 100hz with no problem. 80hz leaves a gap in music, but you won't notice it much with HT. you will however notice some subwoofer directionality.

I personally like to cross over at 80hz which works out well for 5 to 5 1/2 speakers. This is why I will be upgrading the Take 5's to some DIY EGO's by Geofferey Dillion. I got some killer deals on parts, so I couldn't pass this design up. Impecable sound for music and will take the Take5's out to lunch!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I have the ACI Emeralds, which I absolutely love for movies and music. I'm also about to build a pair of the Speakerpage shielded monitors. They supposedly have an F3 in the 40Hz region and from what Hank Frankenberg tells me, are very nice. It will be interesting to compare $100 kit speakers to almost $350 Emerald kits.

Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the Sound Clearing House (SpeakerPage.com) kits are the best sound value I've encountered. They have two kits, the K05B10 ($67/pair) and the K05B41 ($90/pair). I built a couple of the B10's a couple of years ago and I've built five of the B41's, which I highly recommend. You'll be very pleasantly surprised at their sound quality. BTW, I'm not affiliated with SCH, just impressed at the value. They're a good intro into speaker building. If you buy them and have questions or hit a snag building the cabinets or whatever, feel free to e-mail me or Brian Bunge - he's about to start building a couple. Brian may even build them for you (he's built other speakers) and then you could veneer or paint them or cover them with the SCH grill cloth "sock" material.
Have fun!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks